Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dark Circles Under Eyes - Deficiency??
Posted by: yemango ()
Date: January 28, 2009 11:44PM

I started eating 85-90% raw about 3 weeks ago. i just noticed dark purplish circles under my eyes which ive never had before. what could i be deficient in?

as for supplements; i take:
-blue-green algae
-MSM
-Vegan DHA
-siblingual B12

i did some online research and came up with 2 possibilities: iron or vitamin K. i tend to think its not iron (anemia) because i feel like i have a good amt of energy, but who knows? One website suggested eating tons of leafy greens, raw, and cold pressed oils to get more vitamin K. the BULK of my diet is leafy greens and i sure do have cold pressed oils every day. could it still be this? any experience with this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dark Circles Under Eyes - Deficiency??
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 29, 2009 01:16AM

In my experience, dark circles under the eyes are a deficiency in sleep. I was very sleep deprived when I came to the raw diet, that I needed months of extra sleep before my dark circles under my eyes disappeared. And nowadays, if I get under-slept again, I get those circles.

For myself, I was drinking coffee and other stimulants (colas, etc) to compensate for the lack of sleep. At some point, when I got rid of all the stimulants in my diet, my body was able to sleep soundly again. This showed up as a healing crisis where I was acutely fatigued, and I slept 16 to 18 hours a days for months until finally I was sleeping only 8 hours a night.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 29, 2009 12:08PM

I think it could be liver related. It's possible that your body is doing a lot of cleansing now and this is showing under your eyes.

You don't say what your diet was prior to going raw - you could be defficient from a long time ago - the last 3 weeks won't have made you defficient in anything new.

Don't feel you have to take loads of supplements - fresh fruit and veg are superfoods themselves.

Give yourself some time and try not to worry about it.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 30, 2009 03:31AM

ye, I had the purplish looking circles under my eyes, too. I discovered that I had low thyroid and now I take iodine and boost my thyroid. The purple is gone. The wrinkles disappear depending on how much sleep I get.

Try the iodine. You can get a natural source from Kelp. Blue-green algae is not the same a Kelp or Dulse.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: January 30, 2009 02:00PM

Dark Circles are usually indicative of adrenal fatigue. As you have been only doing raw food for a short time, it could be a detox. If you are taking any stimulants such as cacao or maca these can cause problems for some people. I got dark circles when I ate small amounts of cacao regularly.

You might also have a sensitivity to MSM, I don't do well with MSM. Just try changing some things to see if anything makes a difference.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 02:04PM by Ariel55.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 30, 2009 02:30PM

yemango Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I started eating 85-90% raw about 3 weeks ago. i
> just noticed dark purplish circles under my eyes
> which ive never had before. what could i be
> deficient in?
>

why do you assume you're deficient?

> as for supplements; i take:
> -blue-green algae
> -MSM
> -Vegan DHA
> -siblingual B12

none are necessary

>the BULK
> of my diet is leafy greens and i sure do have cold
> pressed oils every day.

oils are not foods. why not eat foods?

symptoms are not very important.

finding the proper diet is what is important.

raw whole fresh ripe organic plants is the proper target diet imo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables