Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bananas, Melons, Possibly Honey and the Glycemic Index
Posted by: Mrs. Humes ()
Date: July 08, 2011 10:55PM

Hello Everyone,

Before I was raw, I was interested in nutrition and losing weight. One of the ways I considered losing weight was to go on a low glycymic index diet. Bananas, melons and honey if you eat it, are all high glycymic foods and therefore it takes the body time to burn it up resulting in weight gain. Now that I am raw and eating a whole watermelon per day can be the norm, what do I tell my well meaning friends who scold me on eating so much high glycemic raw foods? Should I limit my raw but high glycemic foods?

Thank you so much.

Warmly,
Mary Jane
[www.raw-food-diet-magazine.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bananas, Melons, Possibly Honey and the Glycemic Index
Posted by: BJ ()
Date: July 09, 2011 08:07AM

Are you interested in losing weight or getting healthy? They are not necessarily the same. Likewise for eating raw or eating healthy. You just can't take things in isolation. You need a long term healthy sustainable eating pattern. Following the glycemic index is just like following every other fad diet.

Good luck.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 09, 2011 12:42PM

My mom has dropped 25lbs so far on Weight Watchers, she's finding it really easy to follow the program of counting points (if she can do it, you can do it!). Fruit and veggies don't have any points.
I would think the energy required to carry, cut up and chew that much watermelon would be enough to burn it off, lol.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 09, 2011 04:36PM

I think you should tell your well meaning but scolding friends that you appreciate they're concern but at the moment you are feeling great and there are no worries (if that is indeed the case)

smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 09, 2011 05:41PM

Really losing weight almost always comes down the the principles of calories in vs calories expended. Take in more than your expending then you will gain weight.

There are a number of ways to lose weight many of them being fad and often come with rebound weight gain. The bananas and melons are healthy foods, the low GI diet may work but it doesn't necessarily mean its the healthiest or most optimal.

What some often fail to grasp is that everyone of us is very different, your friends may follow low GI diet/foods and have success whilst you may not etc. What diet may be optimal for one, may be the worst thing for another. Some have a problem understanding this sadly. My SAD bodybuilding friend has been wolfing down massive amounts of calories from meat, fat rich foods etc for decades and looks/feels great and from blood tests which some seem to think is the holy grail of health is in perfect values for all.

Personally that kind of diet gave me many gastrointestinal issues as well as fatty liver, fatigue, skin problems and many other kinds of health problems.

Basically long winded way of saying do what works for yousmiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2011 05:43PM by powerlifer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables