Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Unable to lose weight
Posted by: Zer0Hoops ()
Date: July 12, 2011 10:33AM

I have been 100% raw for just over a year. When I first became raw, the excess fat my body was storing melted right off me. Then about 6 months in, I started slowly gaining it back. I managed to put on 20 pounds and I have no idea how! I've been trying really hard for the last couple weeks to re-lose the extra 20 pounds, but I've only managed to lose 4 pounds and I seem to have reached a plateau. My body just doesn't seem to want to let go of this excess weight and I don't know what to do.

I'm a 23 year old female and I weigh 136 pounds and I'm 5'3". I am a dancer, so I work out every day. In addition to that, I have a 3 year old who keeps me quite active. The only thing I can think of that could possibly be preventing me from losing weight is my crazy schedule. I work from 11 PM to 7 AM, 5 nights per week. I try to sleep during the day, but most of the time I only wind up getting between 4-5 hours and I am constantly tired. I feel like my circadian rhythm is off because of my job and it may be affecting my ability to lose weight.

I would really appreciate some advice or insight that anybody could offer me. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unable to lose weight
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 12, 2011 12:02PM

Have you tracked how much calories your averaging daily via an online calorie calculator such as fitday.com?. Weight gain most commonly occurs because of taking in more calories than your expended.

Raw/vegan diets can be deficient in minerals such as iodine which are essential for metabolism. If your produce is grown in poor mineral soil you likely wont be getting much if any iodine daily. Try some seaweeds, they are a good source of iodine/minerals and have many other health benefits.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Amiot ()
Date: July 12, 2011 06:29PM

Maybe your body is telling you that you need to be right where you are. I know you may not want to hear that but if you work out 5 days a week and are eating 100% raw I think that's awesome! Don't be concerned with what you may have read about how much you should weigh for you height those are just guidelines. I just started eating raw and i hope that the pounds melt off me too. I've read that for my height i should weigh 125. Well that's ridiculous. I would have to live on nothing but lettuce and i'm pretty sure i'd be way too thin for my body type. TAKE CARE!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 12, 2011 08:18PM

I actually have this fear of loosing weight. Which is kind of silly as I probably really need to loose weight. Its actually kept me from going completely raw and vegan. But I have lost weight recently, and it is easier to move, I have more spring in my step and I am sleeping better. So, its an irrational fear. I loose weight very easily, I am not sure why. This doesn't really help you, I am sorry I don't really have any advice.

I am surprised however, as a few people critize raw foodists as being too thin. My partner has gone mostly vegetarian and his mother thinks hes getting too thin. I think he looks better than ever. So he doesn't listen, he feels better also.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: July 12, 2011 09:09PM

Since I had a baby even on raw its tough to lose those 10 lbs that came on permanently.

If you want to lose ten lbs go on juice fast, like watermelon or oj. Sometimes 3 days of that I would lose 10 lbs. My mom did 3 day apple fast and lost 10 lbs.

If you have a photoshoot or hot date.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: July 15, 2011 11:03PM

Sorry to say it but I think your job will eventually make you sick. I eat 8am-3pm and I haven't thought about my weight for months. I also keep my meals to 3-4 ingredients. I'm never hungry anymore. And food tastes so good. An apple orange juice through the juicer tastes amazing!

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Zer0Hoops ()
Date: July 17, 2011 04:37PM

Thank you to everybody for your input. I've decided to go on a 92 day juice feast and see if that helps. I also took advice about trying some seaweed for iodine, but I can't stomach the taste... I've never been able to.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 17, 2011 09:08PM

Good luck Zer0!

Pamela, my experience is the same as yours - although I haven't been 100% on track. Thanks for your helpful post!

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 17, 2011 10:07PM

ZerOhoops,this could be many things, keep researching until you find something that resonates with you, while also possibly seeing a good forward thinking doctor along with some blood work.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 18, 2011 03:40PM

At 5-3" and 136 lbs,and being a dancer and very active,you probably look fantastic.
Weight is just a number.

Vinny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables