Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Goji berry con
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: July 18, 2011 12:51AM

I have a Chinese friend who lived with me for one year to go to university but now he has returned to China. He was telling me that you can buy dried goji berries in China for roughly the same price as raisins. I dont doubt that goji berries are a nutritious food but we are being ripped off. Just another trend that people are capitilizing on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Goji berry con
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 18, 2011 01:10AM

They are often called wolf berries in the Asian market and cost about as much as raisins. You're only being ripped off if you buy the "marketed" kind smiling smiley.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 18, 2011 04:22AM

Some people pay more for drinking water than they do for gasoline.

Go figure.

Date: July 18, 2011 06:16AM

Or printer ink. That stuff can run you up to $8000 per gallon.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 18, 2011 08:01AM

so are all the nutrient contents and antioxidant qualities a lie then? goji berries are a complete protein, raisens are not.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 18, 2011 10:08AM

WanderRA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so are all the nutrient contents and antioxidant
> qualities a lie then? goji berries are a complete
> protein, raisens are not.

Nope all the benefits are real, i think workoutman was just saying that you can get them considerably cheaper in Asia and asian markets.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 18, 2011 01:08PM

The quality varies. I have seen them being sold in a chinese herb shop. The kind I actually would want to eat was a bit more than raisins, but less than health food store prices. I heard something about gojis sometimes are dyed to make the color look better. The cheaper ones were sometimes very, very dry and some were turning brown. They have to be a little moist to actually do something, otherwise not too old.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: July 18, 2011 02:31PM

raisins contain 18 amino acids according to usda

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 18, 2011 02:32PM

Mislu hits a good point in that sometimes the quality is shocking, id rather pay abit extra to know they are good quality and not full of heavy metals from poor unregulated farming etc.

It also makes sense that they'd be cheaper in the country there grown in, shipping costs and import tax tend to increase the price.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: July 18, 2011 05:18PM

Yes my question would be if they were organic. I get mine organic from Whole Foods. The only times I've been to Asian markets in the past, not a lot of stuff was marked organic.

Date: July 18, 2011 05:38PM

They aren't that difficult to grow on your own, a bit tricky but once you know how to care for them it's totally doable. They will grow in many climates too, in a planter on your deck would work winking smiley.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 19, 2011 09:33PM

I can remember not to long ago they were 10.00 per. lb. now they are 20.00 here in the jungle of south florida.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables