Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

B-12 Doses?
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 19, 2011 09:19PM

I am hoping some of the more informed people can help me with some B-12 doses. I am very sick and have alot of nerve damage, so it is hard to think and read through all the technical info. and surf the internet. I was taking the best source of B-12 I could get from Hippocrates Health Institute (Living B12). They reduced the dosage from 2000mcg to 400mcg without me knowing and I started to have some more nerve damage! As you might know this is not good! I never looked at the bottle because I could not imagine them doing this. I am sure I am not making or absorbing any B12 at all so I need max. dosage. I have read some studies but they vary quite a bit.

Another problem is that I have a massive ulcer in my small intestine close to my stomach but past the duodenum. This makes it very hard to eat anything or take suppliments. In fact I have tried everything to get better and the nerve damage is making it impossible. The Challenge is that I cannot take the sugars and flavorings in these B12's. Hippocrates had the only one that did not have flavorings but that one is no longer good enough.

Alot of people say that cynocobalamin is not good for nerve damage? I don't understand, it seems people used it for years and it did work, is this wrong? There is a B12 made by The Vitamin Shoppe that has no flavoring or sugar, but it is cynocobalamin I would like to use that if possible.

I am going to see a doctor but hate them and never had one do me any good for my gut or nervous system. The last time I did B12 shots I felt like @#$%& the whole week. I can't remember if I felt ok for the first day or two but then was dizzy and nauses wich I never feel otherwise. Also it seemed to help when I did some sublingual that week.

Hope somebody can help, Thanks Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: B-12 Doses?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 20, 2011 11:20AM

I am sorry this is happening to you. I hope that the primary cause of the nerve damage is being treated. I take Heaven Sent Methyl Cobalamin, a sublingual lozenge of 2000 mcg. Methylcobalamin is broadly considered the more easily metabolized form. As it's water soluble, the body expells excess, so one cannot "overdose," thus, I don't know why your dosage was reduced--have you talked to someone at Hippocrates about it?

Here is an informative page about causes for B12 injection reactions:

[vitamins.lovetoknow.com]

I hope you get some answers and start to feel better soon.

Date: July 20, 2011 11:46PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am sorry this is happening to you. I hope that
> the primary cause of the nerve damage is being
> treated. I take Heaven Sent Methyl Cobalamin, a
> sublingual lozenge of 2000 mcg. Methylcobalamin
> is broadly considered the more easily metabolized
> form. As it's water soluble, the body expells
> excess, so one cannot "overdose," thus, I don't
> know why your dosage was reduced--have you talked
> to someone at Hippocrates about it?
>
> Here is an informative page about causes for B12
> injection reactions:
>
> [vitamins.lovetoknow.com]
> ons_Side_Effects
>
> I hope you get some answers and start to feel
> better soon.

Thanks for the reply, I will look at the Methyl you take. Yes I have talked to Hippocrates and they tell me that it is because of the FDA and Codex but they wont go into detail? All other suppliers seem to be able to use up to like 8.6mg It sucks really bad because I won't be able to work if I get much worse.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: July 21, 2011 03:25AM

How old are you? Is it a lifestyle problem from drugs? alcohol? Is it a dietary problem? or a genetic problem? Who diagnosed B12 as the problem? Have you ever been healthy? How long have you had these issues?

It's pretty hard to give an opinion unless people are familiar with your situation, but good luck anyway.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 21, 2011 03:50AM

If you look here: Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet:Vitamin B12, the RDA for B-12 is 2.4 mcg. Your old dose was 833X the RDA, and your new dose is 167X the RDA.

You probably were not experiencing nerve damage, but detox of cyanide.

My guess is they reduced your dosage because it was too high!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 21, 2011 05:46AM

Rzman, I think it might be a good idea for you to visit a Naturopathic Physician and also a registered dietitian who specializes in vegetarian/vegan nutrition.

Both are highly trained and should be able to give you more information and possibly a more thorough diagnosis. They should also be willing to work with you on a diet that is sensitive to your needs.

------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know if the following will help: I once had some pretty severe nerve damage, and it turned out to be caused by an amoeba. I felt like I was plugged into the wall socket! It was very bad. Plus I had extreme stomach and chest pain. I nearly died. If you haven't had a real medical lab test to check on the possibility of an amoeba, you should. If you don't have a regular doctor, you can probably get a medical lab referral from an Urgent Care facility or from a Naturopathic Physician.

Ulcers can be caused by a virus, so you might check on that as well, if you haven't already.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 05:58AM by suncloud.

Date: July 22, 2011 01:01AM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you look here: Dietary Supplement Fact
> Sheet:Vitamin B12, the RDA for B-12 is 2.4 mcg.
> Your old dose was 833X the RDA, and your new dose
> is 167X the RDA.
>
> You probably were not experiencing nerve damage,
> but detox of cyanide.
>
> My guess is they reduced your dosage because it
> was too high!

They did not reduce my dosage they reduced THE dosage of there only B12 and recently lowered it to 8mcg with no good explanation but the one I stated. And yes I do have nerve damage.

Date: July 22, 2011 01:56AM

Thanks for the replys, I am 46 and was healthy at one time and have very good genes. The problem was my immune system was weak for quite a long time and was drinking and smoking marajuana a little. So my health got worse and I came to FL. to stay with my mom. I had leaky gut but did not know it and was seeing the best Holistic MD. I could find. He was quite good but did not really understand that I had Leaky gut even though I kept telling him accurately how I was feeling and what bothered me when I ingested somthing. He got me about 80% and all my blood work was perfect and I mean perfect. Most people think there blood work is good but just believe the ama standards are sufficient. Stats 120/80 52bpm all hormones were at a 20yr old males standards. But I still felt a bit nervous and just not right. So I went to a guy that did Live Blood Anaylisis and he saw that I had yeast and that I had a lot of parasites but most were gone because of the therapy I was doing. I never heard of Leaky Gut but my previous doctor did a stool sample because my DHEA levels were low and it showed that I had a high Dysbosis level meaning more bad bacteria than good. So he got me doing high levels of Probiotics and that brought me around in about two weeks to one hundred percent. Unfortunately I still did not know about the Leaky Gut and one day (because of my stressful living situation) I took a full dose of Green Powdered food and then way to much psyllium powder. Yes my stupid Holistic MD had me doing way to much Psyllium Powder. In my condition with what must have been a very thin linning throughout my GI tract I experienced a lot of pain even upon elimination. Ever since that day I have been very ill. After a week or two I started experiencing problems with my nervous system. Right away I started taking b12 for five and a half years and healed it. During this time I spent seven weeks doing Electro Magnetic Therapy wich lessend my healing time(It takes seven years to heal nerve)
I don't know what is wrong now accept that the store bought b12 is making me sick and really mucking up my blood. Also I was only doing small amounts of the Hippocrates b12 because they reduced it to only 8mcg. I guess I could have an immune disorder now, but it would be a huge coincidence because It all started when they reduced the potency of their b12. I am in the process of getting some health insurance now so hope they can help for a change. I have seen many doctors and none of them have a clue. Most of them are threatened by me for some reason? can you imagine a person this intelligent being threatened by a person as sick and uneducated as me? its very dissapointing. None of the Gastroenterologists have seen this type of injury and have know way of confirming it. One of the best GI docs in Boca did an upper Endo and clearly you could see the damage to the LES Sphincter that occoured when this first happened. I was arguing with him that you could plainly see the damage but he ignored what I said. I still have the pictures and anybody can see it clearly in nice glossy color pictures. I could go on for hours but I am tired now, I have seen five GI docs and some of them agreed with what I was telling them but that they could do nothing to help.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 22, 2011 06:02AM

rzman10001,

The doctors are threatened by you because they can't figure out what is wrong with you. Also, they may sense that you are the type of person who doesn't heal from their sickness. A good book on this subject is by Caroline Myss called "Why People Don't Heal and How They Can".

My intuition is telling me that your disease comes out of an unresolved spiritual/emotional/psychological issue rather than a missing nutrient. If my intuition is correct, then you won't heal until you address the spiritual/emotional/psychological cause of your pain.

If I am indeed incorrect, and your illness is coming from a nutrient deficiency, then you are quite lucky, as nutritional deficiencies are easy to fix.

Date: July 23, 2011 08:08PM

Thanks for the reply Prana, and I am aware of my spiritual/emotional/psychological issues but right now, on the top of the list is a severe B12 deficiency and massive nerve damage. The problem as I stated is getting a B12 suppliment that won't make me sick! and the proper dosage. I want to see a Psychotherapist that I know, that helped me greatly in the past but am not very affluient right now. I did find a suppliment that is not to bad, but still not great. The Hippocrates B12 was all natural, no sweetners, no steric acid, magnesium sterate etc. and! it healed my nervous system last time around.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 23, 2011 08:26PM

Have you seen a doctor rzman? and thought about the possibility of b12 injections?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 24, 2011 06:12PM

Powerlifter, As I stated yes I have tried injections and am in the process of getting health insurance but money is tight. I had insurance for years and saw many doctors but they are morons. Some were knowlegable but but could not even diagnose me. Thier hands are tied by the AMA. Even though I have a massive ulcer in my small intestine and most of my digestive tract is damaged/inflamed due to infection, their tests just can't prove there is any ulcer! Yes you would think they could, but no they can't. The only way they can diagnose is to see erosion of some kind,but in the small intestine this does not occur like it does in the stomach. You cannot see mucosal linning! it is clear, and underneath this is a readish/pink color that is the next layer. So it is not feasable to diagnose for them enough to help me with Disability or treatment. Remember all who read this, I have had quite a bit of success, but with so much nerve damage, little money, poor living conditions etc. it is very difficult. I have seen many sick people, especially at Hippocrates and IMO none of them were as sick as me, even people with severe cancer! The programe is really good for this type of challenge (cancer). And if you can take some kind of therapy orally you can certainly get better! I cannot. To make things worse every time I eat it weakens my immune system and makes me feel very sick due to autointoxication. Eat Raw and Love life!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables