Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Yay for cucumbers
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 28, 2011 06:38AM

.....Build healthy bones with cooling cucumber

By Julie Daniluk, R.H.N. | Chatelaine – Mon, 25 Jul, 2011 12:00 AM EDT
....tweet35EmailPrint.....

It turns out there really is something to the saying "cool as a cucumber." Cucumbers literally stay cooler than the ambient temperature around them, making them a perfect snack during a heat wave.

Cucumbers were once thought to be devoid of nutrients. As it turns out, their most nutritious part is the dark green skin, so consider buying them organic to avoid the wax and pesticides that are often sprayed on conventional cukes.

Five reasons to cool down with cucumbers
1. They support proper bone development: Cucumbers are high in vitamin C, which plays a pivotal role in the creation of collagen, a key component in the development of the bone matrix as well as the development of healthy hair skin and nails. Recent research suggests that scurvy is still a health concern; an inadequate intake of vitamin C can cause modern day symptoms of this olden-days condition.

2. Cucumber is great for your heart: The skin of the cucumber contains caffeic acid; this is an antioxidant that is shown to prevent further damage to the cells of the heart following a heart attack. The most amount of damage that is caused by a heart attack is a result of the free radicals that are created, and caffeic acid helps to mop these up.

3. Prevent osteoporosis with cucumbers: As well as good amounts of vitamin C, cucumbers also contain a considerable amount of silica (orthosilicic acid) in their skin. Silica has been proven to work synergistically with calcium and vitamin D to increase collagen production in the bones and avoid deterioration and brittle bones, which can lead to fractures.

4. Keep your brain sharp with cukes: Cucumber contains a trace mineral called molybdenum, a vital component of many enzyme functions in the entire body, not just in our digestive tract. These reactions are needed for proper brain function, motor control and memory retention. Molybdenum is especially important in the enzyme functions of the brain.

5. It's the ultimate weight-loss food: Along with being high in fiber and water, cucumbers are one of the only vegetables containing the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan has the ability to convert into serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that elevates our mood. Tryptophan has recently been successful in stopping emotional and binge eating, and is being used with great success to treat obesity and curb appetite.

[ca.shine.yahoo.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yay for cucumbers
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 28, 2011 08:38PM

Thanks Jody for the cuke info. I LOVE cucumbers!

I believe they are botanically classified as a fruit, since they carry the seed of the plant. (for some reason, that makes a big difference for me when I eat them)

That's very interesting info about the silica, tryptophan and molybdenum. Great stuff! And I didn't know all that about the peels. When I have my cucumber today, I will not peel it.

Thanks again!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 28, 2011 08:45PM

Good stuff although it is slightly wrong, orthosilicic acid is the converted form which can then be used by humans.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 28, 2011 08:58PM

I eat a ton of cucumbers in the summer. I am growing blondie and lemon cukes right now, and the lemon cukes are my favorite.

Thanks Jodi for sharing this info on cucumbers!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 28, 2011 10:51PM

Thanks, Jodi! Yahoo recently ran a story claiming that they were one of the least nutricious veggies (fruits technically). I knew that was false but just knew about the silicon. So cool to read of the other benefits. I don't see a lot of organic cukes in my parts but I find that buying pickles rather than the bigger cukes solves the problem. Pickles seem to never get waxed like regular cukes, plus their skin seems thinner and I prefer the texture. I can't wait for my lemon cukes and regular pickles to fruit! smiling smiley

Date: July 29, 2011 02:47AM

So nice that Prana and banana are growing their own cukes!

Prana, if you're there, what do blondie cucumbers look like?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 29, 2011 05:05AM

Here's an blondie. If you let them stay on the vine too long, they turn yellow instead of white:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 05:06AM by Prana.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 29, 2011 05:37AM

i like the blondies and lemons too they are sooooo full of flavor smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 29, 2011 03:40PM

I love 'em.
They are $1.50 at my local market for 6 big ones.

Vinny

Date: July 29, 2011 04:56PM

Wow, thanks Prana! I've never seen a Blondie. It looks really good!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 29, 2011 07:05PM

I binge on Syrian cucumbers all summer long, but will eat almost any kind as long as not too pulpy or soapy. I recently met someone who said he detests cucumbers. I just stared, not believing my ears smiling smiley

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 29, 2011 11:19PM

Tamukha, I understand how you feel, I love just about everything and can't understand why people don't like different foods especially organic vegies. But, there is one thing I have found recently that I despise unless it is cooked, and that is zuchinni and summer squash. I guess we are all different.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: July 30, 2011 12:19AM

Mmmm. Core and stuff with a tasty raw vege pate'. A great lunch to take on a hike.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: July 30, 2011 01:30AM

Hello rzman, I'm not a big raw zucchini fan either.

That sounds pretty good trive! How do you make your pate'?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: July 30, 2011 04:55AM

Hi, Suncloud,

For pate' recipes, select "Recipes and Food Preparation" on the forum list. Look down the list for the strand titled: "Wrap Fillings GALORE!" A while back I wrote in a long list Iof recipes for LOTS of different fillings for lettuce wraps, but they are just as good for stuffing cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, squash rounds, etc.

I hope you find something you like.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: July 30, 2011 09:22PM

Thank you Trive!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables