Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Feeling sick after eating vegan meals
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 06, 2011 09:50PM

Hello,
I have been eating mostly vegetarian, and held vegan ideals higher. However, I found I and my partner feel pretty sick after eating at a local vegan resturant. We actually like the taste better, but usually about a half an hour after eating the food we feel very tired, and sick.

I am thinking its because the last meal contained cooked potatoes, but it also could be from concentrated soy and gluten products. Any ideas? is this a correct association to make? We usually also drink wine with the meal, so maybe its that, or a combination with other food. I suppose that wine is the thing to remove first to see if its that. But any other suggestions? As going vegan and vegetarian is supposed to be the first step in transitioning to raw vegan. It seems pretty rocky a transision.

I don't know if sweet items do that also, as I thought I also felt tired after eating dates and perhaps some peaches. So difficult to pin point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feeling sick after eating vegan meals
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 06, 2011 11:07PM

Mislu,

If you make the same things at home and feel fine, and it pains me to say this, assume the restaurant is using something in their preparations that has additives to which you are sensitive, or has practices that contaminate the food somehow. Also, consider that sulfites in the wine can be very allergenic to some people.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 08, 2011 12:42PM

Its possible they aren't clean, or don't use quality ingredients. I found sand on the bok choy. I pointed that out to the waiter, and he just said its a difficult vegetable to clean and the cooks don't have time to catch everything.

I also felt sick this morning, rather icky. But I am feeling better now. So maybe it has nothing to do with the resturant or vegan foods, but me! Something weird is going on which I probably need to see someone about. I have a very sensitive stomach, and I really can't eat the stuff that some of my partners relatives eat.

I indulged a little bit in some stuff that I don't usually like some lasgna last night, and I think that is why I don't feel so good. I felt better after having a banana and some kiwi this morning. So maybe that is all I can eat without feeling awful.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 08, 2011 12:55PM

Sorry you are feeling poorly, and hope you figure out what's wrong with you. If you can eat mostly fruits and lettuces for a few days to "clear out" and help you figure things out, please try to.

As to the dirty bok choy at that restaurant--lame explanation from the waiter. And lame methods; it is impossible to prep bok choy for human consumption without first scrubbing it, if even briefly. I wouldn't eat there again. I have worked in hygienic restaurants and downright daggy ones, and I can tell you that at a hygienic restaurant--the only kind you want to patronize--the vegetables would get cleaned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables