Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Some people really can't eat fruit.
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 15, 2011 07:37PM

Apparently, some people are born with aldolase B defects. Aldolase B is the enzyme necessary for the proper metabolism of fructose (including fructose from fruit). When these people ingest fructose, the metabolic pathway proceeds normally to the conversion of fructose to fructose 1-phosphate, but then no further. Since the phosphate - which came from ATP - is stuck there, it's not returned to the metabolic pathway; and the result is a drop in free phosphate levels and a subsequent loss of ATP, leading to symptoms of hypoglycemia (severe weakness, tremulousness and sweating). The condition can be fatal.

Another genetic disorder is called "essential fructosuria", caused by a deficiency of the fructokinase enzyme, but this is a relatively benign disorder because metabolism of fructose is interrupted before phosphate is removed from ATP. Fructose is then metabolized through an alternative, but slower, pathway.

In my case, I must have aldolase and fructokinase all over the place, because fruit is so easy for me to metabolize! But we're all a little different.

Here's something else I think is interesting: The body synthesizes it's own fructose. Why? Well, fructose is the major fuel source for sperm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some people really can't eat fruit.
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 15, 2011 07:44PM

interesting ... id be curious to find out what causes a aldolase B defect in the first place ... smiling smiley

thanks for posting !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 15, 2011 08:44PM

The cause is something to do with missense mutation from what i remember. Really was hard to understand and follow.

There are quite a few conditions which can cause people to not tolerate fruit. Ive came from that background when my digestion was such a mess in that a single piece of fruit could send me to sleep, leave me fatigued, shakey, IBS/weird bowel movements, severe stomach pain, furry white tongue etc.

Pretty much all of the above was due to lack of gut flora and stomach acid. Now a days i can munch all the fruit id like in a sitting and i dosmiling smiley, but some cant seem to understand what its like for those who do have trouble.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 16, 2011 02:34PM

Huh, this is interesting. Am likewise wondering about the root cause[powerlifer, gonna look up what you mentioned!]. I wonder if it can be reversed, because I would imagine it would be difficult to get necessary carbs without consuming fructose at all.

I know someone who, for lack of kidneys, has serious phosphate metabolization problems, and as a result must refrain from eating foods containing phosphorous. Cruelly, these are also in so many of the foods that would help his body function without a gallbladder(also gone). He maintains a positive outlook, but I think it must be a misery to live like that sad smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 16, 2011 02:58PM

Must be very hard like you say tamukha.

These people likely don't eat raw and get there carbs from other sources obviously non-fructose, it seems they do pretty well on dextrose etc. Also Gluconeogenesis probably helps alot.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables