Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

baby's symptoms signs of nutr. deficiency??? help
Posted by: blissmummy ()
Date: July 13, 2006 03:40PM

Hi all,

my baby (8 1/2 months now) love has been doing this weird thing that concerns me--sort of an involuntary (possibly) shudder-shaking, as if his nerves are on superload and he can't contain it--mostly his head and hands I guess. Picture someone on way too much coffee, or someone with some kind of spasmodic twitch.

He's done it once a couple nights, and today, midday, after a long nap, he's doing it a bunch. My mom, usually the first to worry, says it seems like he's just exploring his body inside and out, but it looks scary to me, and I don't want to ignore possible first signs of something wrong.

We're in the middle of a move right now, going back and forth between ye olde house of my parents and an apartment in the city, and I am currently shedding weight and getting happy going back pretty much all raw. I have been neglecting the usual supplements some, like the pollen for b-vitamins, the seaweeds, the vit. B12...

in general, I eat pretty much raw vegan, but at times I munch on chocolate or unleavened bread or cheese or ickies of my parents...

much thanks in advance!! this is just my first stop at investigating these twitch-bloops...

My son is otherwise very healthy, happy, and exuberant--excepting when I don't have enough energy for him, or when I veer too far from our diet!!

He is mostly breastfeeding, also munching more and more fresh organic fruit with me, and now some fresh nut-seed milk

mama Adrienne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: baby's symptoms signs of nutr. deficiency??? help
Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: July 13, 2006 04:32PM

is the baby quickly comming out of the shuddering when he /she does it? or, is he/she a little disoriented afterward? those are things I aould really watch before I would worry.

Date: July 13, 2006 06:58PM

no, he comes out of it fine but he seems generally not quite stellar when he's prone to it. my grandma says it's just extra energy... and supposedly some kids do that when they're about to throw a tantrum... me no know... i'm not overly worried now...

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 13, 2006 08:09PM

First, keep in mind that sometimes (just SOMETIMES) you can learn more from a doctor than from a raw food website, so don't rule out asking your doctor about your child's symptoms. Just to be on the safe side, don't neglect the Vegan B12. Also, you might try blending up some veggies for him - even cooked (lightly steamed) veggies.

I don't know if you intend for your child to be exclusively raw. If you do, but if you're not yet 100% raw yourself, you might consider waiting for your child to eat exclusively raw until you are able to comfortably do it yourself. By then you will have had more experience, and will be better equipped to transfer those experiences to your child. smiling smiley

Love, -Ally

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2006 08:24PM by Ally.

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 13, 2006 11:27PM

I agree with Ally-I think a doctor`s checkup could be a good idea.

Date: July 13, 2006 11:35PM

yeah! I agree. The way you described the tremmer, it sounded kind of like petti-mal siesure. My mom is epileptic and has grandmal and pettimal siesures. I'd go to a doctor with this one.

Date: July 14, 2006 12:28AM

thanks, all...I kinda agree, myself! I hold little respect for the opinions/knowledge of doctors, but it did occur to me that this would be a time to go anyway..

I think it might be a sign of stress under circumstances and change, but I don't want to risk thinking I know what it is when I may not...like recently I thought I was detoxing when it turned out I was coming down with shingles (adult painful version of chicken pox virus)

blessings your way

love, adrienne

Date: July 14, 2006 12:40AM

Luna Sky, would you describe a pettimal seizure?

Date: July 14, 2006 03:46PM

sure! With my mom it's like she gets shivers as if she's cold, but you can't get her to focus on you or respond for a few seconds when you talk to her. I call it a "spacey" type of unresponciveness, but her body trembles at the same time.

Date: July 14, 2006 07:10PM

hmm, it sounds similar, but my mom still thinks now he's doing it more cuz it gets attention, and so I've stopped giving it attention and it seems he might be doing it on purpose. As to why he started doing that, it seems when he fills up with cmon cmon cmon cmon!! that he does it... think I'll follow my mom's suggestion to try not giving it attention for a few days, then go see a doctor if he keeps doing it. ..

blessings to you all

a

Date: July 14, 2006 08:52PM

yeah, they seem to repeat whatever gets the attention(especially from mommy!LOLOL!!) I've got 3 teens so trust me, the attention tricks just get bigger and bigger! LOLOL! !

Posted by: jdc5390 ()
Date: July 15, 2006 03:55AM

You are destroying your baby, Babies and people need fat! eat no fat for a baby will make the baby have brain problems with possible hormone problems. like homosexuality, which is why most people now a days are getting more homosexual there eating less fat which interact with hormones.
Anyways babies need fat and protein rather than carbs, they thrive on it and your breastmilk does not contain as much vitamins and nutrients as a mother that would be eating meat, your baby needs raw grass-fed butter, coconut oil, fish oil not flax, and salmon or grassfed meats. dont risk the baby for some diet. Most of the healthiest people in past times are meat eaters like the eskimos and african tribes.

READ "Vegetarianism - A Form Of Child Abuse "

[www.mercola.com]

Date: July 15, 2006 04:38AM

Wow Bliss,

Hope you're OK after reading the above. Makes me just want to go out and hug a tree or something. Or would that be considered "vociferous" (from Dr. Merc) vegetarianism?

Seriously though, do your research on the nutrients you and your baby need, get your checkups, and don't forget to take your B12.

Honestly, the things some people come up with!

Love, -Ally

PS: Interesting that jdc doesn't seem concerned about all the hormones being fed to the animals destined for the average US meal!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2006 04:45AM by Ally.

Date: July 15, 2006 04:38PM

babies get plenty of fat from formula and/or mother's milk. Listen to what your doctor says when you take baby in for check up's. He'll tell you if there's an issue.

Date: July 15, 2006 07:17PM

Blissmummy,

I suggested to you a couple of times on this thread to make sure you take the B12 supplements.

But after reading Rosemary's new post "got my test results back today", I intend to lower my own B12 dose and see about switching to a B12 derived from methylcobalamin rather than cyanocobalamin. Not sure though. I'd like to research it more.

Anyway, best wishes, -Ally

Date: July 15, 2006 11:18PM

Well, I went to the article...

I'm just going by how my baby feels when I eat meat, fish, eggs, dairy (even raw dairy), too much cooked food, and other things--he screams and cries and I listen to cacaphony in his tummy...and feel blechy myself.

I'm not about to "sacrifice my baby" for a diet, while pregnant I let go of any ideal and ate all kinds of different things.

How can I read that article on how vegetarianism stunts growth, though, and just go with that? If anything, reverse "data" on what is good or bad just brings it on home to take advice with a grain of salt and do what seems best for us. Do some research, but research only leads to a zillion answers...

gotta go now

jdc5390, where are you coming from??

peace be with ya...my aunt gave me a magnet she made today that caught my eye: "do or do not, there is no try--Yoda"

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: July 16, 2006 05:35AM

FWIW, my nephew used to do that. I haven't been around babies a lot so I don't know if that's normal or not, but my sister was into research and wasn't at all bothered by his little spasticisms.

However, I agree with the wise Ally that it's time to see a doctor. Not because I think there's anything wrong with the baby, but because it's time to put your mind at ease.

Posted by: deeds ()
Date: July 17, 2006 08:08AM

if you don t eat enough fat as a baby, you become a homosexual, do you ?

aha

never heard that one before

Date: July 17, 2006 02:21PM

deeds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if you don t eat enough fat as a baby, you become
> a homosexual, do you ?
>
> aha
>
> never heard that one before

that theory seemed a little strange to me too.

Date: July 17, 2006 02:22PM

that theory seemed a tad bit strange to me too.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: July 17, 2006 04:04PM

He's a troll.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: July 17, 2006 09:57PM

With long term dormant meat born diseases like mad cow/bse, if you feed your children ANY red meats, you are endangering their lifes 20 or 30 years down the road. The only thing you do as a responsible parent with an obligation to give your child the best chance of living a long life and raising your grandchildern is to raise your children on a strict vegan diet.

I have a lot of respect for people raising their children without meat.

Ian.

Date: July 17, 2006 10:27PM

they'll definately be healthier as they grow up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables