Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sea Salt & honey
Posted by: woodfe ()
Date: July 13, 2006 05:20PM

Is any sea salt needed on the raw foods way of life? I practice bikram yoga (in the heat) 6 days a week and sweat profusely. My diet consists of fruit and vegetables.

What is everyone's take on raw honey? I find it satisfies my sweet tooth, but wonder if it is toxic for me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sea Salt & honey
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 13, 2006 07:06PM

no seeds, nuts or sea vegetables? what about greens? plenty of greens?

i'm okay with the honey but really want to make sure it is from a source that is respectful of the bees, and that seems to be next to impossible. But no, it is probably not toxic for you unless you get hold of some honey from a small beekeeper whose bees get their pollen from a certain kind of flower. I can't remember the name of the flower, but that kind of honey can be fatal. Bigger bee companies have so many hives that even if the bees get the poisonous-to-humans pollen, it is spread out thinly enough between hives that the honey can be assumed safe.

Honey is however VERY dangerous for babies, who should never be given honey!

I use the Celtic sea salt but only very sparsely now. Organic sodium is good (like what is in celery). You will find there are almost as many different opinions as there are individuals in the raw food movement -- especially since the population of raw foodists tends to be people that do indeed think for themselves. There are a lot of raw foodists who eschew salt, spices and even sea vegetables -- and another large faction that feels those things are find and even good for you. And of course different individuals are at different stages in their own health and that makes a difference too. Many who eschew the salt and spices started out first using them, which seems quite a nice natural progression to me... Personally, I am going in that direction but kind of doubt I'll ever give up spices and salt entirely unless something convinces me it is truly necessary.

Posted by: woodfe ()
Date: July 13, 2006 07:57PM

Thank you so much for responding. The information you shared was VERY helpful. I am weaning myself off of salt and debating weaning myself off of honey as well, as it gives me quite a sugar high in the quantities I use it.

This past year, with the exception of a few popcorn binges, I have limited my foods to kale, collards, celery, turnip greens, green pepper, spinach, berries, honey & a small amount of raw almond butter. My body & physical appearance (hair, muscle tone etc.) are at their all time best.

I do not have any thyroid issues (in fact I don't need to see a doc for anything) but I am wondering if the particular veges I eat could in the long run lead to thryoid issues.

I am a recovering food addict (30 years of binging) and have eliminated all of my trigger foods. As I approach 50, I have felt minor episodes of 'being down' so I am considering moving my diet to more of a fruitarian way of thinking (frederic patenaude). I also have yet to eliminate supplements (vitamins) which I plan to gradually reduce, starting today.

To your health! Elizabeth

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 13, 2006 09:54PM

My take:

-I don't find either of those two items as healthy or vital as fresh raw plant food - so I avoid them.

-David Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 13, 2006 11:11PM

Hippocrates and until today folks do use (unheated non-commercial) honey for remedies for both animals and humans. I just learned that today quite by accident, reading the book by the herbalist Juliette de Bairacli Levy who has traveled around the world as an herbalist, especially being a natural doctor for animals but also for herself and her daughter, etc. Her books are fascinating. (She has never lived in the U.S. but has visited many times, being invited by herbalists here to conferences, etc. and she learned most of what she knows from the animals themselves, from the gypsies and from intuition.)

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: July 14, 2006 12:55AM

I don't do honey as I'm vegan but I'm very big on sea salt - especially himalyan sea salt and celtic sea salt. Either can be used in the watercure [www.watercure.com] or [www.watercure2.com]. May raw foodists think that they get enough water from the foods they eat. This is not the truth. Our bodies are comprised of over 60% water. Dr. Batmanghelidj discovered the cure for everything basically when he discovered the watercure. Dehydration is common among raw foodists. Salt is combined with water, in small doses, and taken internally. This teaches the body's cells how to use the water it is taking in and where to distribute it. The salt helps the water bond to cells. A happy cell is a happy human.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: July 14, 2006 07:18AM

Is eating high sodium foods such as seaweed and kelp count as salt? Exactly how much salt is it good for the body to take in in small amounts all day before it is too much?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables