Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nuts, Protein and Mold
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: August 30, 2011 12:52AM

I'm looking for some ways to increase protein, and let go of my dairy options. I'm eating soaked seeds, and I'm thinking about adding some good quality nuts. But I'm a little concerned about the mold I hear is on raw nuts. I can't really tolerate any of that right now.

So, assuming nuts have some sort of mold that I can't see, can I remove it somehow? Maybe soak them is hydrogen peroxide or something? Or are there some kinds of nuts that generally do not have mold?

And as far as fat goes, are there better varieties than others if I'm looking for more protein and less fat?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nuts, Protein and Mold
Posted by: imawsomeh ()
Date: August 30, 2011 03:06AM

Spinach has 2.8g protein per 100g.
Pumpkin seeds 28.8g protein per ? see the link:

[www.howmuchprotein.com]

Asparagus, kale, collards, broccoli, quinoa and more are on my personal favorites as a source for protein. I actually read somewhere that fermented foods increase the absorption of iron in the diet so I add a Tbs of sourkraut or 2tbs of kambucha to my raw soups I have for dinner. I'm also adding 1tsp of nutritional yeast just in case there's a need for B vitamins.

Posted by: imawsomeh ()
Date: August 30, 2011 03:12AM

Oh, as a rule of thumb, 1g = 1ml so 3 1/2 oz blanched or a guess would be 4-5cups raw leaves. 100g is a single serving size.

Gogi berries also have a lot of protein. Superfoods smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 30, 2011 11:45AM

It is very difficult to remove active mold from anything; it's invasive. The concern with nuts is that microscopic mold spores may be superficially present at purchase, if the nuts have been sitting around in unwholesome storage conditions at the processor--oh, the lucky few who live near nut farms and can buy them fresh! To avoid this in the past, I have purchased really raw nuts from one of the online raw foods emporiums and made sure to germinate them for consumption or raw "cooking" by soaking in a light water and food grade hydrogen peroxide solution to kill surface creepy crawlies.

Nuts are mostly fat by calorie volume, so I agree that protein should be gotten from raw produce. Greens are a good source, but so are many fruits and sprouts, of course. If you are really intent on this, look into chia/salba seeds, hemp seeds, or savi seeds, or a raw protein shake mix, like our bodybuilder friends here use smiling smiley

Date: August 30, 2011 03:15PM

Thanks, Those are good ideas. A couple more questions:

What is a raw protein shake?? Something I would buy that is pre-made, or do I make it from scratch?

Also, where do I get food grade hydrogen peroxide? Is that different from the stuff at the drugstore?

Date: August 30, 2011 06:14PM

marsh,

powerlifer would be the bloke to ask about protein shakessmiling smiley What I can tell you is that Garden of Life Vitamin Code brand makes a raw protein powder and Vega brand makes a vegetarian one, but I don't know if it's "raw" per se. Haven't tried either myself. You could make your own with bananas, spinach, hemp seeds or chia, but I'd plug in the ratios to an online nutrition calculator to see what the actual useable protein content is, in case you need to add something else. Please remember that because raw amino acids are more bioavailable, unless you are very athletic, you don't need to load up on protein. Many people here get way less than the recommended amount[based on research analyzing cooked protein content of foods] and do just fine even if they are into aerobic fitness.

Food grade hydrogen peroxide is absolutely different than the stuff next to the isopropyl alcohol at the drugstore. It is generally sold in plastic bottles in the refrigerated section of good health food stores, like where refrigerated probiotics are kept. It is extremely potent and very caustic--it will burn through your skin if spilled directly onto it and will permanently bleach any clothing it's splashed onto, so it must be used cautiously. A small amount, diluted in a large amount of water, is a great fruit and veggie cleanser. The bottle should have instructions for use printed on it, or should come wrapped in a bag with a printed sheet of instructions inside.

Date: August 30, 2011 09:48PM

THeStOrm,

Unless germinated, most nuts are primarily fat, by calorie count, not protein. That they have some protein does not make them necessarily protein rich, as certain seeds are, ounce for ounce. Fat is not a bogieman; the body needs fat to funtion properly. But there is no clinical evidence that, in general, humans thrive long term on a very high fat diet, though certain individuals or populations may prove an exception.

I am I guessing correctly that you have never attempted a high fruit regimen to compare against a high fat/high protein regimen? Or maybe you have, and have found that you do better on Gabrial Cousens's regimen, in which case, fair enough. As someone who has done low carb/high fat/high protein raw and high carb/low protein/low fat raw, I am pretty sure at this point that I do better on the latter. Also, I have yet to encounter someone who gets most of their calories from raw fruits, as opposed to starchy carbs or refined sugars, who becomes a maniac for sugar in general and/or hypoglycemic(barring an underlying disorder); this is not borne out consistently even in cooked food veganism, which derives a majority of calories from grain and bean carbohydrates. I am assuming you aren't actually saying that an abundance of fresh ripe fruit is analogous to candy, because we all know "sugar" is not "sugar," as the Corn Refiners Association of America would have us believe, LOL

Date: August 31, 2011 12:36AM

Well, I'm not really into pre-made mixes, I prefer fresh stuff, but I may check out the protein shake option. I'm a little curious now....

Tamukha-
I understand what you're saying about not needing all that much protein. I'm not one one of those protein-phobic people. I just have this issue that I'm dealing with in re-growing my hair back. I'm going about it from many angles, and want to be sure I get adequate protein right now just in case I need a little extra.

This is helpful, what you guys have suggested. Thanks alot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables