Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How can I persuade, or inspire, others to eat raw?
Posted by: artbyart ()
Date: February 04, 2009 01:23AM

The raw vegan lifestyle has truly transformed me physically, mentally and spiritually. I was very surpised when I became more spiritually aware.
However, it's somewhat frustrating that I'm not more persuasive to family and friends. I see so much poor health, yet no one seems to be interested enough to try a raw diet.
At age 50 I am building my house by hand. I used a pick and shovel to dig the foundation. Afterward I still exercise. Many people have commented on my energy level but no one wants to improve theirs.
What else acn I try?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How can I persuade, or inspire, others to eat raw?
Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: February 04, 2009 02:18AM

By living by example and not preaching. People have to choose to change and preaching in my experience has pushed others away.

Look for small changes you notice in the ones around you. Maybe it has affected them. They may not become raw vegans, but any little counts.

david

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 04, 2009 04:31AM

You can't change other people. You can inspire others to change.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Ghandi

It's difficult to watch people do destructive things to themselves. I want to see all of my loved ones -- family and friends and kind co-workers -- "get" it.

From what you said, it sounds like you are an inspiration... for those who are open to being inspired. Keep doing what you are doing! We need more people like you.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 04, 2009 01:53PM

Never try to teach a pig to sing -- it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 04, 2009 02:10PM

artbyart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The raw vegan lifestyle has truly transformed me
> physically, mentally and spiritually.
The best way for you to inspire others is
for you yourself to be a Living Example of what you believe.
People know, just by looking at you, where you stand.....WY

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: February 04, 2009 02:17PM

Encourage them to eat more fruits and vegetables and maybe prepare tasty dips and salads for them. Instead of focusing on the negative things they are eating, suggest positive things that they could substitute or even add.

Date: February 04, 2009 02:27PM

I do know of some people who seem to have the gift of influencing others. In Michigan I attended vegetarian potluck dinners which were hosted by a husband and wife couple. They managed somehow to convert non vegetarians to vegans with little effort. Simple put, they had a spirit which attracted people to there movement repeatedly. I noticed many times how someone would just come to them asking about a vegan diet. It defies explaination.
Here in Texas I've learned it's best to keep a low profile about any liberal ideas. Anything progressive to me might be regarded as subversive to some of the locals in a small town. Beleive it or not, many people here have never even heard of a produce store and seem to religiously avoid any vegetables.

Date: February 04, 2009 02:31PM

I must say that I'm receiving some great advice. Very encouraging.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 04, 2009 02:47PM

All you can do for other people is open the door. It is up to them whether they step through

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 04, 2009 02:59PM

artbyart,

Are you a native Texan? It must be rough. Maybe consider moving to Austin smiling smiley Really, everyone's advice to be a beacon of The Way by living the life is right on. The friends that I had when I went veg or have made since eat better because of my example, I like to think. Like, if I ask them over for dinner, they'll say, "just make whatever you're eating--it doesn't have to be meat." I must say I resented getting lectured at by the resident "vegetarian PETA girl" in high school. I wasn't receptive to what she was saying because she was so earnest and zealous, it was scary and confusing. Which was a colossal turnoff, you know? The Snake Oil Salesman Effect. I had to see more positive examples of vegetarianism, of the mental and physical vibrance that comes from that diet. These experiences prompted me to resolve to make that lifestyle change naturally. So, get as healthy and happy as you can, and people around you will sense why that is, and will, in turn, be intrigued to follow your example. Just be patient and confident about it.

Date: February 04, 2009 07:13PM

I've only lived in Texas for one year. I was an automotive designer in Michigan at Ford then decided to relocate to a more stable economy. Texarkana has so any natural resources and parks nearby. Arkansas is awesome. So, I'm not dissatisfied in general.
I think you're exactly right I need to just be patient. I think I'm not being too pushy. So far I haven’t influenced anybody I know. When I see the degree of poor health and disease, especially among family and close friends, I can't resist the impulse to suggest a more natural diet and lifestyle. Recently I explained to a friend how she could lower her high blood pressure, as so many people have, she just said that she was very content to continue with her "meds" instead. It's scary but what can you do?

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 04, 2009 08:33PM

since I have been making changes in my diet my family has been making changes
some family members are drinking wheat grass juice and even my two youngest daughters have had some drinks of wheat grass.
JSome family members are drinking green smoothies with me
One daughter has gone vegitarian
I have raised awareness of high frutose corn syrup and have encouraged family to not eat it

all family members have quit smoking. including me yeha smiling smiley

one daughter is considering eating raw to control pain issues instead of taking so many pain meds.

I also am in a weight loss group and the gals there notice the changes in me from eating raw.

I have not been the greatest example but am striveing to make changes in my diet and have noticed the people around me are being affected and I don't have to preach to them they ask me at times and I try to encourage people to eat fresh uncooked foods as much as possible.

We are liveing examples no matter what we do.

Perhaps you could look on the net for any meet up groups in your area you might find some groups and maybe you can start one of your own. It sounds like you need to reach out to others.

I have read that Ann Wigmore went to elderly and fed them wheat grass juice and her energy soup. May be you could find someone in need of care who wouldnt mind a different approach in food. Give it a prayer and you might find someone to share your eating ways to.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 04, 2009 10:05PM

The above posts by David and the rest (these are the Dave's we know, we know....) are spot on. If YOU are someone that has wonderful qualities, then people will naturally gravitate and ask what has made you so healthy! Heh...heh.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: February 04, 2009 10:12PM

Make amazing food and share!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 05, 2009 01:43AM

artbyart,

Left Michigan for Texas for a more stable economy, huh? I hear you! But, I am a Detroiter and steadfast in my belief that things will get better soon. That's the indomitable D-ness in me! I mean, Motown's the next Hollywood. It's . . . Mollywood!

I also feel, touching again on your initial post, that it helps me to remain true to this way of living to be in a place where's it's viewed suspiciously or is uncommon. That sounds perverse, yes, because it's difficult, like being in cattle country would be for me(I'd go mad). But a challenge like that teaches one fortitude and patience quickly. Besides, in a culture where being raw veg is considered arcane, it's inherently tantalizing also. People are drawn to the mysterious and novel. And that makes it all the more easy for me to redirect others from their down-homey diets by my own good example. I get into pleasant chats with people at the health food store and at the Meijer or even at Whole Foods, and feel always that I am having an impact, if even a subtle one. I know what it means to be almost desperate to aid others, and to feel like John the Baptist--A Voice in the Wilderness. It's ennervating and counterproductive. No one likes the hard sell, you know? Be cool, be aware, radiate your own peculiar wonderfulness; as DZM suggests, and people will start catching on. Anyway, hope the "local culture" in Texarkana proves receptive to your wisdom smiling smiley Good luck!

Date: February 05, 2009 05:35PM

It has been interesting and entertaining from both perspectives. I'm certain that I've been a sourcse of novel entertainment for many people that I've met. For me, the culture in "cattle country" is so vastly different. I can't relate to the notion of a "meat and potatoes type diet". But I am making connections regardless which has been very gratifying.
I understand and admire your devotion to Detroit.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: February 06, 2009 02:28PM

Hi Artbyrat,

I live in Alberta, Canada. Our province is none as beef country. There are cows being raised for slaughter all around me (I live in a small town)...

I don't see eye to eye with many family and friends on veganism, raw veganism, animal ethics etc.

I've learned not to preach or push things that closes people off. I just lead through be a shinning example. I answer questions, only when asked. I share food when it looks as though they might enjoy.

There are vegans and raw vegans out here, it's just a matter of finding them, I've found lots.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 06, 2009 09:21PM

Unfortunately it seems as if meat eaters think that if I'm right about eating fresh foods from the garden then they are wrong about eating animal carcass so I don't cross that bridge any more then necessary.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 06, 2009 09:25PM

One of the women I work with, who is at least twice my weight, told me she would love to be my size. Scarfing out on McDs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

What can you possibly say to such a person? Nothing. They know what to do. But it's harder for them to do it because they have not been doing the right thing for so very long and they are addicted to their garbage.

Overcoming an addiction is not an easy thing and we should not make light of it.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: February 07, 2009 11:21AM

walk it like ya talk it..

we must be the change we wanna see..

example isnt the main thing people follow, ITS THE ONLY THING..

those that want it will seek it..lets provide a fun, fit, vital example of the benefits of raw vegan athletic liv'n..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables