Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Where does the Raw Vegan community stand on Root Canals?
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: August 23, 2011 07:27PM

I may be posting this at the wrong Forum, but I feel I'll get the best response here.
I have an infected, or abscessed, tooth that needs attention.....either a Root Canal or Extraction. Both options seem no-win to me. I'd like to know Raw Vegan philosophy on the issue.
Does anyone here have experience and/or an opinion?......WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where does the Raw Vegan community stand on Root Canals?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 23, 2011 07:47PM

Henry,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I will be honest. I have heard the term growing up but didn't even know. Still, it sounds like a lot depends on which tooth and your insurance and its limits. Based on what I've read, unless there were good reasons to the contrary, I'go root canal. [users.forthnet.gr] Is there a third alternative??? There is something called pulp capping. [www.mgoldmandds.com] Don't know much about it or if it is less invasive. Prefer you to have a full set of alternatives though.

Best.

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 23, 2011 08:35PM

I've had it done and it wasn't that bad for me, I have heard stories of less than lovely experiences though. The stuff they fill your root with is the same as the "white" fillings they do these days. I have some of those composite resin fillings that were put in to replace metal amalgam ones and have since learned that they have their own issues of toxicity. So now I have a root canal, some plastic fillings, some metal fillings and have had one extraction and my wisdom teeth out.
WY, nobody can give you the one best answer on this one I'm afraid. If you have a good dentist who you trust I'd say to consider his or her opinion and go with your gut instinct. Whatever you do though, don't wait for too long. Once a tooth needs a root canal it's time to fix it or have it taken out.
Best of luck to you.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 23, 2011 09:49PM

WY,

Don't know what to tell you, except don't fool around with an infection in the teeth/gums--can go straight to the heart from there. Don't mean to be scary, just want you to get this taken care of punctually and safely. Speedy recovery to you, dearie smiling smiley

Date: September 02, 2011 03:23PM

I read in one of Gerson's books that it's better to pull a tooth than to get a root canal! Reason being is that once you do a root canal, it is a dead tooth. This dead tooth in your mouth gives you problems. They did tests and when people removed their dead teeth (root canals) they noticed a big difference in feeling better!

Date: September 02, 2011 04:17PM

deegarry@yahoo.com Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read in one of Gerson's books that it's better
> to pull a tooth than to get a root canal!
New technology makes a Root Canal much less dangerous than in Gerson's day. However, having done my homework, I had my tooth extracted two days ago. It was in the back, and didn't leave a gap. Even if a root canal had been a success, a Crown would have to cover it, and I've had lots of trouble with Crowns.
Thanks to all who replied......WY

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: September 02, 2011 06:44PM

I don't like root canals. I had one 30 years ago in my SAD days, and fortunately for me, before I got my permanent crown, the tooth cracked when I was eating some ice cream with walnuts in it. So they had to extract the tooth.

About 2 years ago my dentist was filling a tooth and broke into the root chamber. He said I now needed a root canal, as the root had been exposed. I did some research, and I decided I didn't want one. I asked the dentist to just give me a crown with no root canal, and he was reluctant at first, but he did it. Its been fine, no pain or no infection, and the tooth is still alive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 08:03PM by Prana.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 02, 2011 09:08PM

whats the story about raw foodists and dental work? I remember hearing about people claiming that dental work falls out of people who have done raw food for a time? any truth to that? What about the teeth regenerating or healing to any degree?

Date: September 02, 2011 10:11PM

I've had all my amalgam fillings replaced with ceramic white fillings thirteen years ago. The only trouble I've had, is that they wear down quicker than amalgam.

Regarding 'root canal', I had one before I went all raw (alkaline) which used to get pretty sore to chew on. But the longer I was on an alkalizing diet, a abscess formed at gum level, which finally cleared up. I now have no trouble with it, and I can chew on it no problem.

I asked my dentist what he thought had happened. He said that if you can stand the discomfort (pain), the longer you leave it, your body will finally find the shortest way to remove the infection, which eventually finds its way up the side of your tooth to the surface and forms an abscess on your gum for the removal of infected matter. Afterwards, it just heals up.

That is what has happened to me. I don't know if my tooth is dead or not, but it looks like all my other teeth. I believe that my change of diet from an acid forming to a base forming (alkaline) one hastened the healing. After all, your blood is cleansed, and your body works more effeciently.

I'm not suggesting that you don't do something about your tooth WG, this is my story, and you may get something from it. For the first six months after going raw I documented every change in my body, and my infected tooth was one of them. Its been two years now, and the problem with my tooth has not returned.

Cya, geo

Date: September 03, 2011 03:03AM

geo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....I'm not suggesting that you don't do something
> about your tooth WG, this is my story, and you may
> get something from it.
Where were you before I had my tooth pulled? LOL. That's an interesting story. I would have rethought my options had you posted earlier.
I kept my abscessed tooth for many, many years. It got better and better, but never completely healed. Had I gone on a total Alkaline Diet (as you mentioned), I feel it would have healed. This has been par for the course. I analyze a situation to death, then make a wrong decision......WY

Date: September 03, 2011 02:02PM

Sorry WY, but sometimes I don't logon for ages. I believe that the raw alkaline diet improves blood circulation too. I think I read that in one of Arnold Ehret's books. So areas that may be 'clogged' up, will eventually be cleared out with improved blood flow. Sounds logical, but whether it does or not, I feel it would have helped the healing anyway.
Cheers, geo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables