Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Situations in which you absolutely CANNOT eat raw?
Posted by: samanthalee ()
Date: September 23, 2011 07:59PM

Hi all,

Next summer, I'll be working at an archaeological site in an extremely remote part of Mongolia (see: no electricity or plumbing), where I'll be living with a nomadic/pastoral family for a month. Their diet? 99% meat and dairy, since their livestock is pretty much their only source of food. Unfortunately, there's really no way around it, as the nearest city will be at least a 3-hour drive away. Everyone I know who's already been in these areas says that the only vegetables that are ever really available are potatoes, beets, and onions, and that's only if you're lucky.

I realize that this is more of an extreme situation, but I'm looking for a bit of advice, if you have any to share. I'm obviously going to have to make dietary concessions (please, no finger-wagging) and I'm wondering if there's anything I should do or bring with me to make the transition as easy on my body as possible.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and the assumption that I won't be branded with a scarlet letter here!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Situations in which you absolutely CANNOT eat raw?
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 23, 2011 09:07PM

I think whatever you bring, be prepared to share it with the family you're staying with, and also be prepared to run out of it before the end of the month.

You could research in advance what wild greens, seeds, and berries might be growing there, bring pictures, and ask the family if they know where any are.

All you can do is do your best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 09:10PM by suncloud.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 23, 2011 09:38PM

As you are going to stay with a family who probably has very little I think you should eat what ever they provide and be jolly grateful for it. Either go and be prepared to embrace what ever awaits you or don't go - you have a choice!!

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 23, 2011 09:40PM

You can do like the yogis in the Himalayas do: grow your own veggies from sprouts. If you bring some dry legumes and seeds, and some netting or screen, or better, even sprouting jars, you will always have as many fresh organic baby greens as you want. If you can't bring your own food over the border, then secure whatever sproutable stuff you can when you get there. This is a very simple an inexpensive way of surviving if you have to, and it is easy to share, and... and all you'll need from the family you're staying with is some water to grow them.

It's been a few years since I've travelled overseas, so I don't really know how tight customs is anymore, but I used to bring plenty of dried fruits and nuts in my check in luggage.

Also, my son spent a summer backpacking though rural Mongolia recently. You'll love it. The people are beautiful.

Good luck!

Date: September 23, 2011 10:16PM

@flipperjan: Yes, and I'm choosing to go. I'm not at all complaining about what I'm expecting to encounter; in fact, I'm grateful for having the opportunity to go. Perhaps you misinterpreted my post. Folks on the team are already suggesting things like anti-diarrhea pills (which are common to bring when traveling), and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience or suggestions regarding this kind of environmental change.

@marsh: Dried nuts and fruits are great suggestions! A couple bags of each should last for a while. Your son's trip sounds like it was wonderful, too. smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 23, 2011 10:41PM

Hey Samanthalee, why not research local customs, as the family may be offended if you refuse their offerings to you. And as Suncloud suggested, they may also expect you to share your food with them (your food, e.g. dried fruit etc may be exotic from their perspective). Another suggestion would be to take something to prevent constipation, as such a dramatic change of diet may cause you to clog up.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 23, 2011 10:49PM

samanthalee,

First, congratulations on achieving the means to enjoy what will no doubt be a wonderful experience!

Second, marsh's suggestion of sprouts is very good. Make sure you know whether the region has a source for fresh water, first, however--springs, wells, rainwater.

Third, it's good that you're anticipating being as amenable as possible with your host family, as they will likely be subsistence level people and sharing what they have will be a great courtesy for them to show you. You don't want to offend their sense of hospitality, but it would be fine, I should think, to say outright that you eat simply--vegetables, fruits, nuts. They may be dismayed that they are unprepared for your diet, though, so if you can, eat whatever they offer, and supplement with your own foods on the side(maybe pack lots of Lara bars!). As others said, always offer to share what you are eating: chances are, your host family may think you odd, but also interesting, and will want to learn as much about your lifestyle as you will want to learn about theirs! Good luck!

P.S. Fermented mare's milk will prolly be unavoidable; go slow to allow you system to adjust!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 10:52PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: September 24, 2011 01:40PM

That sounds so awesome! What an opportunity, but still, MEAT going in your mouth?? No way. I wonder if you can bring some rice. I've never tried it raw sprouted, but as a boiled option, a little goes a long way, and if you don't have a proper steamer or aren't good with cooking it perfectly in a pot, you can always make it a congee.(like a watery version.)(though i suppose sprouted rice would be an option too.) Can you arrange a trip to the city at the outgo to stock up if there's customs problems bringing food?

Since it's so close to china, maybe you could find some little cans of "fried gluten" in the city. a popular buddhist food. (i know, gluten!) it's basically seitan in a can, but doesn't need cooking or anything and is at least some enjoyable vegan protein.it's great with the watery rice, and would fill you up for a whole day if you can find it.they sell it at chinese stores if you're interested and could possibly bring some.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 24, 2011 02:47PM

I would take as much from home as possible .. fruits/greens powder, vegan protein powder (leave in original un-opened containers as travelling with ziplock baggies full of white or off white powder could land you in an overseas jail until further notice!), personally i skipped the anti-diareah medicine when travelling the outskirts of Nepal as they cramped me up something fierce and well if something in you wants to come out .. let it come out (i would take lots of toilet paper with you tho as its a difficult thing to source in such countries) that was my testament to having to endure steaming cups of yak or buffalo milk (gagging as i type this) just try to choke things back and not offend anyone .. i learned to ask for tea (take your own just in case) right away in most situations to avoid the yaks milk! grinning smiley

take with you as many bars as you can stuff in your luggage and when you get to your first main city try to be there a few days so you can source all the nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies as you can find being veg in mongolia is hard but not impossible ..

also this is from this website [www.vegdining.com]

For vegetarians, there are tons of fresh dairy and eggs and even imported cheeses. There are canned beans of all kinds and imported peanut butter. Soymilk just became sparsely available from China. It comes and goes. The fruit and veggie selection in Ulaanbaatar (Ucool smiley, is great, especially now that they have an organic greenhouse just outside of town! Lots of stuff imported from China that can't be grown in Mongolia. Tofu is made locally, and there are Japanese and Korean communities, making seaweed, kimchee and other specialty items like that widely available. Pasta, juices, cereals, oatmeal, and a small selection of nuts can be easily found.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2011 02:55PM by Jgunn.

Date: September 24, 2011 04:15PM

Guys, thanks so much for everything you've shared!

@geo: You're absolutely right; apologies if I was unclear and came off as a snooty expat-to-be! Eating meat/dairy is inevitable, and I have every intention to accept what's offered. Similarly, others on the team know to share what's brought onto camp-- everything from beer to granola bars. However, because the site is over a 15-hour drive from UB, and because we only have a certain number of vehicles, we're unable to bring everything we'd hypothetically need/want, so my post is more about digestive aids.

@Tamukha, @rawalice, @Jgunn: Thank you all! It looks like dried fruit, nuts, and Lara bars are probably the most efficient snacks to bring, with the possibility of some canned goods. In past years (this will be my first), the team has had to regularly buy sheep from the locals since they cannot bring an entire month's worth of food on the drive over, so mutton will be on the menu for sure. Jodi, I take it you've been to UB? Didn't think of fruit/veg powder before, might be worth looking into. Perhaps psyllium husk powder, too...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables