Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

will raw food diet make us more Vulnerable to food virus/bateria?
Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: September 29, 2011 07:33PM

Hi all,

due to recent cantaloupe virus outbreak, will raw food diet make us more Vulnerable to food virus/bateria since we eat most foods in raw? (it happened in tomato, spinach before..)

So, how should we protect ourselves from food virus/bacteria?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: will raw food diet make us more Vulnerable to food virus/bateria?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 29, 2011 08:00PM

No. Wash your produce, and buy local--which tends to be cleaner--whenever possible.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: September 29, 2011 09:17PM

Produce that was grown in the vicinity of cattle or dairy farming my be suspect, depending on the water sources used to wash the produce. One thing the media doesn't make clear is that the contamination originates in the waste products of cows fed on an unnatural diet (cows should eat grass, not grains or corn).

Washing your produce with clean water before eating is the best protection.

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 29, 2011 09:18PM

I think that ultimately raw food will make the immune system stronger, and less vulnerable to viruses and bacteria. And, I agree with what Tamukha just said.

Posted by: Coconana ()
Date: September 29, 2011 09:27PM

I caught a flu that was going around a few weeks ago. I got achey for maybe 4 hours, a little post nasal drip for the night, and no more flu. Ive never been so not sick while I was sick, ahaha

Posted by: RawBliss ()
Date: September 29, 2011 11:20PM

Washing your produce well is really important and in my opinion not stressed enough among raw fooders. Bacteria, viruses, parasites....protect yourself using a good wash that kills these things. There are many products available - I use grapefruit seed extract (GSE). It's very bitter & has anti-viral + anti-bacterial properties. I put a few drops in a big bowl of water and soak my fruits & veggies for a few minutes before using. It makes for a little extra time in food prep but it's time well-spent. Some days tiny little bugs float to the top, not to mention the microscopic monsters that go unseen.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 30, 2011 03:41PM

for pathogens, use hydrogen peroxide and vinegar in no particular order. [www.michaelandjudystouffer.com] keep the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide separate

For fat soluble pesticides, recommend Environne or something comparable.

Pathogens and fat soluble pesticides pose different risks. So, you may just want to do a pathogen rinse for the clean 15 and save the Environne for the dirty dozen. Of course always wash all produce with water before eating.

When they say water works just as well as vinegar, H peroxide and a lipophilic agent, I do not believe them. To me , it's like saying there is a study that just concluded that the sky is red. Doesn't make sense.

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2011 03:43PM by pborst.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 01, 2011 12:36AM

jj2011 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all,
>
> due to recent cantaloupe virus outbreak, will raw
> food diet make us more Vulnerable to food
> virus/bateria since we eat most foods in raw? (it
> happened in tomato, spinach before..)
>
> So, how should we protect ourselves from food
> virus/bacteria?
>
> Thank you.

I think the best way to protect yourself is washing everything and asking yourself why the raids on raw co-ops, raw milk farms, and the destruction of raw almonds via pasteurization and why it just so happens to coincide with raw vegetarianism becoming almost mainstream. Perhaps there is a link somewhere?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 01, 2011 11:12PM

Hmmm is it possible to ingest round or tape worm eggs on our raw food? Is there a natural poison that will kill any of such nasties that may be in our bowels? I've often wondered about this, and when I first went raw, I took those pills you get from the drug store that kill a wide spectrum of worms after six months. I'm now disinclined to take them due to the poison.
Rgds, geo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables