Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Greens & Vitamin K
Posted by: Sunburst ()
Date: October 03, 2011 09:46PM

Hi, I'm new, not with raw foods though smiling smiley I'm just wondering. I have iron anemia, so I am juicing heavy greens, mostly spinach, like 10 cups of spinach, to get as much iron as I can into my bloodsteam & feel the juice is the fastest, best way. I actually feel better, but I am concerned about getting too much Vitamin K. I read that you can get blood clots if you get too much of it from greens. It's like a double edged sword, because I feel good, but don't want to create another health problem, while curing another.

What are your thoughts? Thank you so much. This has really been on my mind, and I need some peace & resolve about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Greens & Vitamin K
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 03, 2011 10:17PM

According to this website, high Vitamin K is not toxic unless it comes from a drug called "menadione".

[www.whfoods.com]

My understanding is that there's no set upper limit (UL) for Vitamin K.

An additional note: Many seeds are a good source of iron, and you don't have to eat a huge quantity of them, if you add their iron content to the iron content from other good sources in your diet.

The nuts/seeds highest in iron are: pumpkin/squash seeds, whole sesame seeds, watermelon seeds, cashews, sunflower seeds, and almonds.

[nutritiondata.self.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 10:18PM by suncloud.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 03, 2011 10:22PM

Also you can increase the absorption of plant iron i.e non-heme by including a vitamin C source with the same juice/meal etc.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 03, 2011 10:39PM

Forgot to add that according to Dr. Weil, high dietary Vitamin K can antagonize anti-coagulating medication, so anyone taking such medication should discuss this with their doctor.

[www.drweil.com]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 03, 2011 11:14PM

Sunburst,
I recall reading an article about vitamin k. It was from the Price foundation, so I won't include a link. But it did claim that the body places a limit on how much vitamin k it will absorb from plant sources. So, after your blood reaches a certain level it no longer increases after that, no matter what what amount you consume.

Synthetic and injected vitamin k is a completely different story, those can reach toxic levels very quickly. I have never taken the synthetic form or had injections, I never worried about overeating greens.

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: October 04, 2011 12:16AM

Dulse is also really high in iron. Maybe alternate and play with different foods that are iron rich if you are concerned.

The other thought I have is this- For me, sometimes I'll crave something like crazy, and then just practically live on it until I get tired of it. I believe that if we listen to our bodies, and go with the healthy cravings, we are lead to what we need. So maybe if the spinach is tasting really good to you, there's something in it besides the iron that your body is asking for.

Right now I'm craving goji berries. I just can't get enough of them. Those, and dulse. I have gone through piles of both of those foods in the past week. It will pass, when I'm filled with whatever I've needed.

Posted by: Sunburst ()
Date: October 04, 2011 01:58AM

Thanks everyone for your help. I haven't heard of any raw foodist ever saying they got blood clots from too many greens. I know there are alot of people who go heavy on the greens. On another note, spinach seems to be the green that "jives" best with me. I've been told at juice bars by other customers standing around waiting for their juice, that too much spinach is not good for me either. This is discouraging, since I am actually feeling better and it seems to be helping my anemia. My fingernails are even getting stronger. I don't take any medications, except for iron. I also get a apple, carrot, beet, celery, ginger, lemon base along with the spinach. But when I say high spinach, sometimes I can get the kids at the juice bar to put in literally 20 handfulls lol. They are so nice. I just hope this is ok for me. I do feel better so far.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 04, 2011 02:56AM

Kale is high in iron, but its a member of the cabbage family. Thats supposed to do something against the thyroid, so I have heard. Spinach has oxalic acid, which is probably not so great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables