Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wheatgrass Powders
Posted by: Someone Else ()
Date: October 13, 2011 06:32AM

I have read wheatgrass powders only have 2% bioavailability. Juicing wheatgrass is 50 times more effective, but then you run into the qualilty of the wheatgrass - tray grown or farm raised.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheatgrass Powders
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 13, 2011 09:28AM

This is completely untrue im not sure where the theory began either.

All powders are, are dried grasses, herbs etc. Some you need to crack the cell wall such as chlorella for increased digestibility.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2011 09:29AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 13, 2011 01:46PM

Where did you hear or read this information? On the face of it, it sounds implausible, and powerlifer's right.

Date: October 13, 2011 02:02PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where did you hear or read this information? On
> the face of it, it sounds implausible, and
> powerlifer's right.

I think WY said on here before it was Clements who said all green powders are only 2% effective, which again i disagree with and would love to know why he thinks so if it was him who said and what data he has gone on to conclude this as ive never read any.

Forgetting the dried grasses such as wheatgras, chlorella(blue-green i guess) would mean the majority of green herbs such as nettle leaf, andrographis, oat grass etc pretty much wouldn't work which we know is not true.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: October 14, 2011 04:50AM

powerlifer Wrote:
> I think WY said on here before it was Clements who
> said all green powders are only 2% effective
No, he said 1% effective. He claims that's directly from tests from Boston (MIT laboratories)....Damn, those powders sure are easy, and I'm so lazy. It makes me want to start growing Wheatgrass again.
Brian Clement does recommend Chlorella......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 14, 2011 10:19AM

Well i don't agree with that as although he is right that the powders contain fiber that's not all they contain and various lab analysis prove that. Generally that is what makes taking herbs in the powder form more beneficial rather than tinctures as the fiber is still present.

Again i don't agree with that after 15 minutes they no longer contain nutrients, i know he's only referring to wheatgrass here but i know of manufacturers who have tested there wheatgrass long months after and its still contained near the same level of nutrients it started with.

If all wheatgrass powder contains is fiber then why do nutritional analysis on wheatgrass powders show nutritional value similar to when the plant is juiced?

Fresh is best in most cases when it comes to nutrition but the powder isn't anywhere near as bad as he is making out.

He also sells the toxic algae Aphanizomenon flos-aquae which contains microcystins that can damage the liver and nervous system, so i will take what he says from now with a pinch of salt.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2011 10:33AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: October 14, 2011 12:01PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> .....why do nutritional analysis on wheatgrass powders
> show nutritional value similar to when the plant
> is juiced?
Because all labels show what nutrition is available when the product is Fresh. Run a test on the processed Wheatgrass Powder, and you're in for a big surprise.

> ...so i will
> take what he says from now with a pinch of salt.
I thought that was with a 'grain' of salt?......WY

Date: October 14, 2011 12:24PM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
> powerlifer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > .....why do nutritional analysis on wheatgrass
> powders
> > show nutritional value similar to when the
> plant
> > is juiced?
> Because all labels show what nutrition is
> available when the product is Fresh. Run a test on
> the processed Wheatgrass Powder, and you're in for
> a big surprise.
>
> > ...so i will
> > take what he says from now with a pinch of
> salt.
> I thought that was with a 'grain' of salt?......WY

Not from my experience anyway, all of the nutritional analysis are done on the end product not the starting raw material. How i know this is, if it is a product which contains several herbs/foods and they are looking for the nutritional value for the label, analysis is done on the end product often per 100g and nutrient levels can often vary batch to batch as food, herbs and such does.

Also i know for fact that my supplier analyzes the end material as we have had this discussion before and although it is not as rich as fresh wheatgrass it isn't far off at all and certainly doesn't contain just fiber.

Many herbs for example are pretty good for around 3 years and still retain a high level of nutrition. Sure it degrades over time but certainly not all gone in 15 minutes.

Grain, pinch all the same lol.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2011 12:28PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: October 14, 2011 01:45PM

I remember reading a while ago that powdered wheatgrass in the form of pills is made from wheatgrass that is mature, and that they keep cutting the same grass over and over as it regrows to get the material for the tablets. This is vastly different from harvesting the new shoots of young grass that is grown fresh. As the grass regrows it is far less nutrient-dense.

I've used the pills a few years ago when I didn't feel like growing the grass. I feel they were no where near what I was getting from living young grass. That was my experience, anyway. Plus the pills are pretty expensive.

Date: October 14, 2011 01:55PM

Wheatgrass powder should come from the young shoots often within hours of harvesting, you get what you pay for in alot of cases. Cheap wheatgrass, chlorella etc is often inferior quality compared to the good companies. You have companies that use the cheap scraps of herbs thus alot of people end up with the belief that herbs are useless due to using inferior poor quality products.

Ive used both fresh wheatgrass for long periods of time i.e years daily and still do when i can be bothered growing it. Likewise i have used various different wheatgrass powders for years and i still feel the difference is minimal at best(with the New Zealand Wheatgrass powder anyway). Much like if im out in the wild and come across some wild dandelion leaves, ill make some tea up but mostly i rely on dried dandelion leaf for my daily tea and again the difference in benefits is not that noticeable.

Saying that in my time i have also come across inferior products from sellers over the years, usually cheap product from Asia(not always bad but you need to scope out the good suppliers). Can often be contaminated with high amounts of heavy metals etc, so again it pays to use trusted and good suppliers when it comes to any health products.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2011 02:01PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2011 02:14PM

It's ridiculous to take a powder made from whole wheat grass, IMO that's just a complete rip off. We don't eat the blades of grass, we juice them! Dehydrated juice is another story, that or freeze dried or flash frozen would be second to fresh.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 14, 2011 02:33PM

We were recently talking about the life force (chi or prana) and I think it's absurd to compare a DRIED powder to a freshy made juice. Now the nutrients may be about equal but that magnetic Energy is not there...

Date: October 14, 2011 03:31PM

Many herbs and foods are dried naturally or at low temperatures so still retain a lot of the enzymes to still be considered raw.

I like to think of it this way in that i would prefer fresh in alot of cases but its not always viable and in the context of this thread is no way as bad as Clements is suggesting. Sure id rather dip into a pond and take chlorella out that way but its not really viable thus i use powdered raw chlorella which is as close as you can get to the good stuff.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables