Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Manukka honey
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 21, 2011 08:06PM

Has anyone ever tasted this or used it therapeutically? I think it's pollinated from tea tree plant? If so, please give me feedbacksmiling smiley (I realize that many on here do not consume honey so no need to respond if so...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Manukka honey
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 21, 2011 08:17PM

I have used it in the past for its anti-bacterial properties in which it is actually quite effective and managed to wipe out a bacterial overgrowth without messing with my gut flora.

Its tastes ok as far as honey goes which im not a fan of nor use anymore.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: December 21, 2011 08:49PM

Thanks. I was wondering if it really worked.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 21, 2011 08:55PM

I don't use honey or bee products casually but have used manuka and found it very effective. I keep a small (OMG expensive, $50 for this teeny jar) container of it on hand and dose the kids 1/2 tsp or less when they seem to be coming down with something, so far it works. There are different grades and the good stuff is tested for active principle which should be listed on the jar, don't waste your money on cheap stuff.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 21, 2011 08:56PM

my dad used it for some time for his acid reflux ..he swore by it .. but its hugely expensive and really .. there were alot of things contributing to his acid reflux he possibly could have changed ... smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 21, 2011 09:14PM

Thanks, guys. Yes, very expensive but if it's medicinal, it might be worth having on hand. I just bought another "wild honey" from India, supposedly "hand-gathered" and tasted like molasses! Probably adulterated. It was supposed to be from neem, so it reminded me of manukka.

Date: December 21, 2011 09:23PM

You might be interested Chyawanprash which is an ayurvedic tonic "jam" that does contain small amounts of honey with many other tonic herbs. It is based mostly on amla berry usually so is rich in vitamin C. Makes an amazing warm drink.

I have an ayurvedic herbalist friend who makes me up batches without honey as i don't use it these days nor do i like the taste of honey. Amazing tonic especially in times of stress and contains adaptogenic herbs, spices etc.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 09:23PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 21, 2011 09:24PM

Neem tastes horrible though, I can see it affecting the taste of the honey. Manuka is not like other honey, it doesn't have what I'd call a pleasant flavour. Not that terrible but definitely not what you're used to.
I'm happy to have it on hand, we use it very infrequently but the times it comes in handy I'd be at a loss without it.

I've had that Chyawanprash and OMG what a flavour. Ugh. Tasted like cat spray smells. Powerful stuff though. If you can get it down tongue sticking out smiley.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 09:25PM by coco.

Date: December 21, 2011 09:54PM

Haha, Chyawanprash are all slightly different and range from 25 to about 49 herbs if i remember. Mines has a lovely sweet slightly sour spicy jam taste. Ive had a few cheap brands in the past which are quite revolting.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: December 21, 2011 11:28PM

Manuka is a native plant that grows wild on my farm in New Zealand. It is a bush with loys of small white flowers that bees love. To me, manuka honey has a slightly smoky flavor and is not good as a sweetener in tea because its flavor is too strong for subtle teas.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 22, 2011 01:47PM

I have used it an found it has potent medicinal properties provided the UMF[Antibacterial Factor] is higher than 9. Unfortunately for vegans, I have found honey, which I no longer take orally, to be an excellent wound treatment and topical inflammation treatment that far surpasses most stuff from the plant kindom that I've tried. Direct from the plant kingdom, I should say.

I wonder if there's a version of that Ayurvedic Chyawanprash that has no honey? Though I imagine the honey acts as a catalyst for the enzymes in the herbs. For this reason, I think honey is the ultimate problem area for vegans sad smiley

Date: December 22, 2011 01:56PM

Tam, I've resigned myself to using it medicinally. It's not a casual part of our diet but I'd rather squash mosquitoes that are biting my kiddies and feed them manuka which works to stave off colds etc than adhere to vegan dogma. It's not an easy decision but I'm ok with it.

Date: December 22, 2011 01:57PM

From a personal point of view im not sure how important honey really is in chyawanprash. The amla and other herbs/spices is where it likely derives its benefits from. Try and find an ayuverdic herbalist they may blend you up a honey free batch tamukhasmiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 22, 2011 02:01PM

Yeah, coco, I get that.

powerlifer, I'll look it up and see if there are different versions of Chyawanprash.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables