Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why Nuts should be eaten sparingly
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 22, 2011 02:55PM

John Kohler does a good job explaining this. He spent quite a bit of time filming....and his message is Important. Plus, Bulk Bins have Worms......WY
P.S. Notice how easy it is for John to climb up the wall to get to the ripe Almonds. I'd give my right arm to be that Agile.

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Nuts should be eaten sparingly
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 22, 2011 04:35PM

hah i watched that one yesterday too smiling smiley was pretty interesting .. lots of work them nuts smiling smiley

the other issue with bulk bins and nuts as the nuts are always sweating a wee bit ..of moisture and oil .. those bins are quite often just refilled and refilled rarely getting sanitized and moisture + oil = rancidity

must be carefull at those bins smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 22, 2011 06:41PM

Great vid WY, and he did scamper up that wall pretty quick. But hey, he does look pretty young too. I like his message, as I used to eat a lot of nuts and seeds when I first stopped eating animal products, thinking that I needed to substitute the protein.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: December 23, 2011 11:44AM

I grew naked/hull-less pumpkin seed pumpkins this year in the garden. I have about a pint of seeds from 3 pumpkins. Cleaned and dried them for eating raw. Great!

I also grew sunflower seeds.

Date: December 23, 2011 02:15PM

vermontnl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I grew naked/hull-less pumpkin seed pumpkins this year in the garden.
You're fortunate. A fresh Nut or Seed must taste Heavenly. I've never had one.
Man does Best when growing his own Food. Even if it's only a small amount......WY

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 23, 2011 02:28PM

Cool video, although not really sure i understand the video and why it is any reason that nuts should be eaten sparingly. I like how his videos usually show you the tree and how such and such fruit is grown naturally though.

Its comparable to having a small orange tree in your back garden and it only yielding 5 oranges lol.

Fresh nuts for the win, he is a lucky guy.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: December 23, 2011 02:49PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Cool video, although not really sure i understand
> the video and why it is any reason that nuts
> should be eaten sparingly.
I think he was equating Difficulty with Amount....the harder it is to grow and harvest a Food, the less of it should be eaten. For example...Would it be better to live on Greens, or Fruit?? The answer has to be Fruit......WY

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 23, 2011 04:51PM

I think nuts are very concentrated and should be consumed in a conscious manner. The raw restaurants might be too heavy with nuts.

Date: December 23, 2011 09:54PM

I'd say that as a forager, or even a hunter/gatherer who knew what time of year so and so food was available or ripe, wouldn't you time the season when all the almond trees had shed their nuts and were just laying on the ground under the tree to be picked up, cracked and eaten?

I say this cause as a young whipper-snapper, there were two prolific dwarf armond trees growing in our backyard. I'd wait till most of the nuts covering has split, dried with the nut having fallen to the ground. I'd fill a bucket in one minute, and then crack'm all open to retreive the nut. They were easy to crack since they were thoroughly dried out. I reckon that in well under an hour, I'd have a pound of nuts at least.

Ok, it still takes longer that picking fruit, but just shows that if the timing is right and we have the right technology (nutcracker), we can speed up the whole process.

Cheers,
geo

Date: December 23, 2011 10:06PM

yep Geo thats how we do it with our big giant walnut tree .. no way yer gonna get me up there climbing for my nuts lol grinning smiley

i just wait till they hit the ground .. of course the squirrels get their share too .. gotta share smiling smiley

Date: December 23, 2011 10:13PM

Yeah Jodi, and I like that, sharing with our neighbourly critters haha.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: December 23, 2011 10:45PM

I never eat nuts. I just dont trust bulk bins with regard to rancidity. Sometimes I see them for sale at farmers markets but they still look the same as the ones in bulk bins (deshelled). If I had access to a tree, I would eat them when theyre in season.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 24, 2011 12:20AM

I would love to have nut trees

Date: December 24, 2011 01:37AM

coconutcream Wrote:
> I would love to have nut trees

What is it? My Gums are getting sore just thinking about all the chewing. I don't see any Nuts......WY

Date: December 24, 2011 02:30AM

mmm looks like beansprouts, shredded carrots, peppers maybe, cilantro possibly ...or watercress ...

yummy grinning smiley

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 24, 2011 05:32AM

I would soak them first, I bet you a raw almond is soft

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: December 24, 2011 08:51PM

Ok I guess I am very irritable today lol. but I could not stand more than five minutes of that video. If you are going to make a video state a point out front and use some common sense. We are not primative people anymore and even if we were we would just hang out at the almond tree for a while and eat until we were full and maybe get more for later. As for bulk bins yes I hate them and WFM sucks. I go to a small farmers market or order them online and am very lucky to have the market. I will get nuts from WFM if they look really nice or out of necessity. Being a raw vegan is awesome but lets face it, there is no utopia and if we were primative we would eat anything we could if we were hungry, cute little animals included lol. Of coarse if one were spiritualy commited then maybe they would just starve if there were no veggies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables