Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

If your a raw foodist do you have to massage spiders?
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: December 22, 2011 01:21AM

Spiders need human touch too.

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If your a raw foodist do you have to massage spiders?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 22, 2011 01:55PM

I love creepy crawlies and hate to see them mistreated--thanks for that!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 22, 2011 02:55PM

I never step on bugs,but I sure dont massage them either.
Vinny

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 22, 2011 04:08PM

durianrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spiders need human touch too.
Aw Shucks...don't you dare play on our Sympathy. You know how we all feel about you......WY

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 22, 2011 04:37PM

the bite of a brown recluse or a black widow can be fatal. While I'm animal friendly, I don't hold animals to a higher standard than I would a human in a home invasion. It's just that animals don't recognize boundries. When there is a compassionate alternative [e.g. plugging up mouse entries with copper fiber], I will do it. When the threat is immediate, e.g. mouse droppings. I respond to the threat the same way I would a home invasion. It's probably just a poor mouse who has had the misfortune to find his way into my home. But now he knows the way and his knowledge poses a threat to my family. So....

Why not live trap? Because of the risk of transmission during handling and release. And also the risk of reentry. I won't accept that. If the animal is in my home and poses a threat to me and my family,then absent a compassionate alternative, I will protect my family in a manner comparable to a human home invasion. Non negotiable. I'm fine with mitigating risk and cruelty to all animals, even insects. But to expose yourself, your family the people you love ... that borders on fanaticism. Harley, don't try that with a Sydney Funnelweb. But then you know that

Paul

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 04:50PM by pborst.

Date: December 22, 2011 04:58PM

Sydney Funnel Web [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 22, 2011 05:08PM

pborst Wrote:
> Sydney Funnel Web
Damn Paul...now I'm going to have Nightmares tonight. Glad I don't live in Australia......WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 22, 2011 05:21PM

oh well you should watch this one Yogi [www.youtube.com] it might give you a laugh smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: December 22, 2011 05:25PM

I've been bitten on the lips by an overly affectionate brown recluse. The next two weeks of my life were not pretty. Be careful. I think that raw foodists tend to think that they have a special relationship with critters, we do, but that still doesn't make us immune to the not so pleasant side of nature. Big difference between deliberately petting a spider and accidentally scaring it.

3 cheers for saying a lot in a short time.

Date: December 22, 2011 06:23PM

Jgunn Wrote:
> oh well you should watch this one Yogi
Jodi...you fooled me. I was taking the video seriously, until it got blatantly ridiculous......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 22, 2011 07:23PM

I think Harley was very lucky that the spider didn't turn, and like greased lightening run up his arm and onto his head. I've had that happen to me with a seemingly dosile arachnid. Scared the s**t out of me haha.

Date: December 22, 2011 09:11PM

I have learned through experience that most animals aren't violent, excepting the human, because the human requires no legitimate reason to be violent. That spider could tell, I suppose, that Harley's touch was not threatening and responded by not wasting it venom by attacking or energy by skedaddling. Animals are smart that way[sigh]

I understand that the dynamic between human and animal changes with children in the household. Still, I would not use the phrase "home invasion" to describe a mouse's taking up residence in my home, as my home is beggared from nature, and I am the resident alien in the environment, like it or not. Further, a home invasion is undertaken by a human with intention to steal possessions, will, or life. Animals, of course, don't function on the level of avarice, and cannot be ascribed "standards" of behavior like a real home invader can be. I was not raised to fear animals, but to give the dangerous ones I'm not sure of a wide berth and to welcome to me the ones that weren't dangerous, and to always respect their right to exist as not being mine to determine. And I don't come from hippy drippy people, neither winking smiley

Date: December 22, 2011 09:29PM

Tamara,

I think you are being unfair to me. I never used the phrase "home invasion" to apply to a situation where an animal was invading. I was equating the standard of care to an animal that I would use in comparison to a human home invasion. Those are different.

Just as there are duties owed to a human home invader (duty to retreat, doctrine of proportionality, etc), there are duties owed to an animal. So, if you read carefully, I did not use the phrase "home invasion" to describe my encounter with mice.

I was simply pointing out that animals did not deserve a higher moral status than a human home invader posing similar risks. Perhaps you feel differently. The mens rea you raise is splitting hairs with a disease vector.

Where my family's safety is concerned, I can forego the small talk and sleep comfortably.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 09:31PM by pborst.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 22, 2011 09:30PM

hehe sorry Yogi .. i was fooled too at first lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 22, 2011 10:01PM

Paul,

Hope you know I would not intentionally be unfair to you. Or even intentionally! Sorry sad smiley

You will note that I prefaced my previous post with the supposition of its being different with children in the house. I guess I may further elucidate my point by suggesting I have a different(but not more valid) sense of proportion about things like spiders and mice because I don't have kids here, or because I live in a bucolic area where field mice are common, and thus not considered a serious threat. For example, you refer to a mouse as a "disease vector;" whereas to me, it's just a mouse and could be easily, humanely extracted from the space I do not wish it to occupy with an old paper towel roll, a piece of bread, and an old wastebasket.

This in no way directly nor obliquely questions your concern for your child's welfare, etc. But to be fair to me, my respecting animals as much as people, especially wild animals, as I see myself in some respects as a usurper, does not mean I respect people and their children's safety less. I do hope that my frankness doesn't give that impression!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 22, 2011 10:30PM

Jgunn!
Thank you, that was exactly what I needed! I love how the video started out so science and serious, and quickly into comedy! I really loved it thank you!

Durian,
Thank you for showing the spider massage. That looked like one fuzzy abdomen, It looked like it really enjoyed it.

Date: December 22, 2011 11:50PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Hope you know I would not intentionally be unfair
> to you. Or even intentionally! Sorry sad smiley

You are a good friend, even if sometimes we disagree. Good friends do! winking smiley Happy Holidays

Paul

Date: December 23, 2011 12:30AM

Happy Holidays to you too, Paul, and a healthy, happy 2012! smiling smiley

That goes for everyone smiling smiley

Date: December 23, 2011 12:44AM

Hang on. Isn't that spider a carnivore? Shouldn't he be viciously lying about the spider in a video while his wife berates it for being fat? I see a real disparity in ethics here.

Date: December 23, 2011 01:05AM

Happy New Year to you too Heaven Hands! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 01:05AM by pborst.

Date: December 23, 2011 01:15AM

Thanks man. Same to you.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: December 23, 2011 02:29AM

i might unsuscribe from durianriders. he's been posting disgusting videos lately (today its a huge cyst)

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: December 23, 2011 02:51AM

I like spiders, but really, if their too numerous.. or say you're painting, and theyre there on the wall, (and theyre little) they'll just get painted over. As a raw foodist, you'd be expected to not even harm an ant right? Or a cockroach. Maybe even walk cuz you might step on a microscopic bug and kill it? I personally am just not that aware I suppose. (I think Jainists are weird.) I didn't watch your video, but I bet it's a fuzzy spider huh?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 23, 2011 10:26PM

Thx Tamukha, and happy holidays to you too, and everyone!

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: December 23, 2011 11:06PM

rufio Wrote:
> i might unsuscribe from durianriders. he's been
> posting disgusting videos lately (today its a huge
> cyst)

Indeed, blaming it on the meat/dairy but quite obviously trying to get his views up since he is now a youtube partner. I unsubscribed from him after he uploaded the snuff movie of a guy getting shot.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: December 24, 2011 02:51AM

he also has another channel (therawvoice) where he posts his videos again, and again i see the nasty spider bite vid on my subscriptions. disgusting. i have no idea how that is going to draw people to 811 much less veganism. people that are eager to click on vids of cysts & bites probably arent in a life-changing mood.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 27, 2011 05:02AM

i didn't see the video
not sure why
i tend to not want to see videos
but like reading articles
and don't mind reading them
whereas i hestitate seeing a video
hmmm... i wonder why
maybe because i like things instantly and now
whereas i kind of see videos as being "slow"
like having to listen to a person talk or get to the point
whereas when reading an article , i can scan quickly and thus control the tempo and speed of what i am reading

also, i can quickly scan an article to get to the core
whereas i have to wait ,sometimes seemingly forever, before i find the point of a video

but anyhow
i guess the video had something to do with spiders

the "home invasion" angle is interesting

it all boils down to self respect

tamukhs point of view is not diametrically opposed to pborst's point of view
even though it appears that way

they both have a lot in common

peer closer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables