Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions about Oria's Unassisted Birth
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 23, 2011 04:47PM

[www.youtube.com]

It's very interesting because I guess I wasn't the only one who felt that the baby's appearance was different from the average newborn's! I have no experience with newborns and yet people remarked that many babies look "shriveled" and their complexion is not so great. Oria was so well-formed, so healthy-looking when I saw her in the other video. It's amazing because according to Angela, she had trouble eating during her pregnancy and I have read her blog when she was pregnant and her food intake seemed very low, even for a non-pregnant woman!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about Oria's Unassisted Birth
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 24, 2011 05:24AM

Noone told me that when babies first come out their heads are really really long like alien. I was so shocked. It grew back to normal in one day/

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 24, 2011 05:49AM

hey Suvine nice to see you ! I heard you had a baby, congrats! smiling smiley and yea the head thing im sure would be a shocker lol ! grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 24, 2011 01:23PM

I second them not wanting to hear people telling them what to and not to do, putting fear into them etc. I worked hard to literally turn my ears OFF because people see a belly and not only do they feel entitled to TOUCH it (WTF), they also feel like it's their job and obligation to spew their opinions at you. Good grief, as if you can tell what the sex of the baby is by ANY means from the outside of the body or what you're craving to eat etc. That is utter BS and frustrating to hear every single day, gah. People ask the most personal questions too about what your plans are, express their disapproval over everything from diet to the birth. And then when you're breastfeeding, OMG. You know, being pregnant, having a baby, nursing, co-sleeping, diapering, those are ALL really intimate things. No one in their right mind would get into your business and into your face about your sex life but they feel it's ok to delve into these other, equally private affairs? Oh, I don't think so. It's bafflingly nervy.

Ok, I have lots of experience with newborns and there is no standard for them. It's very silly, this comparing of how they look etc. Not all babies are born with elongated heads, not all babies are born shriveled, not all babies have the same colour, etc etc etc. There is nothing "normal" or standard at all. Women who are heavy junk food eaters have perfect looking newborns all the time. Vegetarians have ugly, wrinkly, funny coloured babies. This whole thing is speculation and nothing more. And there is no telling how long labour will take either. Many women have pregnancies and births that are completely different from each other regardless of the pattern of their lives. It just happens the way it's going to happen, it's a mystery.

The benefits to eating a healthy diet during pregnancy are generally unseen, no parent should feel they did something wrong if their child is born wrinkly and funny looking, lol. Or if their labour was difficult, etc. That indicates absolutely ZERO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 01:27PM by coco.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: December 27, 2011 07:20PM

I pretty much agree with Coco's opinion, although I haven't been around the forum for awhile so I don't know what particular baby you guys are talking about. But I do know I've seen some very unhealthy people have some perfect looking babies.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 27, 2011 07:42PM

I just hope they don't buy into the dogma that because they are raw foodists themselves that they should feed their child in a similar way.

What anyone does to themselves is no issue of mine but when people feed their dogma onto a child it is another issue. Just because some conditionally essential nutrients such as the amino acid taurine aren't essential to us doesn't mean it isn't for a growing child.

Nothing grinds my gears more than seeing raw "guru's" recommend raw diets for those who are pregnant or their newly born. Most of these people poorly understanding nutrition. A child can't stuff themselves with massive calorie laden smoothies.

Common sense and im sure they will choose the right way.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: December 28, 2011 08:27PM

I feel that people have the right to raise their kids how they see fit, AS LONG as they are not abusing them. I feel that Oria looks very healthy for the little (or seemingly) food that Angela ate whilst with child. Now what I wonder about is if a child is being raised raw and wants to eat cooked. Obviously in that environment there isn't going to be peer pressure because Oria will probably be home-schooled and Matt and Angela will probably hang with other raw fooders and their kids.

I like that one guy who had "raw family" videos. He was Scandanavian, I think, and his older child asked to eat cooked food and he let him. I thought that was so openminded and non-controlling.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2011 08:38PM

Kids always want to eat all sorts of things though. Mine would love a plate of french fries with ketchup followed by some chocolate right now. They aren't going to get that, lol, but believe me, they'll beg plead and pester for that junk.

I wouldn't feed a child raw vegan, not without supplementation and if what's missing can be had with real foods well, I'd rather veer outside of the raw vegan structure for whole foods than capsules. I will say though that nobody says boo to parents feeding their kids nutritionally void and blatantly harmful diets of fast food and processed garbage. A raw vegan diet is going to be miles better than that even if it is missing some essential nutrients.

Date: December 28, 2011 08:43PM

Yes. The kid I was referring to was raised raw for the first four years and asked to have stir-fry. If prepared healthfully, I don't see that as a problem.

(Oh man, now I want some potatoes fried in olive oil and a dollop of fruit-sweetened ketchup right now... winking smiley)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables