Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Saladacco versus Spirooli (Lurch)
Date: December 29, 2011 08:51PM

I have a Saladacco, but no Spirooli...

How do the noodle thicknesses compare? I find the Saladacco angel hair threads can be overwhelmed in a thick sauce, but at the same time, because they're so thin, they absorb sauces well.

The noodles from a Spirooli look far more like proper noodles but I am worried the texture might be a bit weirder!

Opinions, guys? I want to get back into raw for 2012 and can't make up my mind if a Spirooli investment will be money well spent!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saladacco versus Spirooli (Lurch)
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 29, 2011 08:52PM

I have the Saladacco (I think). I got it last Jan. and I still haven't used it eye rolling smiley

(I can't find the instructions and keep forgetting to look online to figure out how to work this thing!)

I wanna make fresh turnip noodles! smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2011 09:48PM

Oh no! I don't have my instructions anymore either but I remembered how to make angel hair noodles grinning smiley

First you put the teeth blade in the white middle area and lock the little handle to the left. The little metal teeth should be pointing upwards.

Put the white middle area on top of the see through base.

Then you cut your veg into smaller pieces (make sure the slice is perfect otherwise it'll topple over when you're cranking the handle).

Stand a piece of veg on the little pointy nub in the centre and put the canopy lid over the top and push down on the handle so the white toothed circular panel pushes down and locks the veg in place.

Then you put pressure on the handle whilst turning it. Noodles in seconds! grinning smiley

Turnip noodles are a genius idea! I've only ever done courgette and carrot, will definitely have to try turnip!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 29, 2011 09:57PM

Lurch no longer makes their spiralizer . It's extinct like t-rex (both the band and the dinosaur). Benriner makes the closest thing (rip off) with no suction feet. But... it makes awesome angel hair. At least according to John. [www.youtube.com] I'd say pass and get the Tsumapuro... worth the money.. skip the Benriner. my 2 cents.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2011 10:00PM by pborst.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 29, 2011 10:38PM

I got the Tsumapuro and im happy with it .. had that not been available i would have got the spirooli smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 29, 2011 10:53PM

Thanks for the replies, guys!

(The dinosaur reference amused me smiling smiley)

I'm based in the UK and Amazon here still have the Lurch (the Tsumapuro is unlisted). Is there a major difference between the two?

Posted by: snowshoe23 ()
Date: January 06, 2012 05:14AM

I bought myself the spirooli for Xmas and it arrived last week. I have used it EVERYDAY since. I have pretty much settled on the most spaghetti like blade as my favorite. I have made zucchini and yam noodles so far. Orange noodles!! Very satisfying on many levels. You can feel like you just ate a giant bowl of pasta, and in reality it was 2 zucchinis. The texture is incredible. I love this thing!!

I'm new here - first post. 3rd month since going raw.

--snowshoe23

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 06, 2012 05:55PM

I have a Saladacco, but it was sold under the Joyce Chen brand at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It was cheap--$20--and works great once you get the hang of it and follow the directions included, no matter how dubious, heh-heh. I don't eat much faux pasta now, and I knew that I would eventually transition away from gourmet raw, so for my purposes it was/is perfect. If you're going to do gourmet raw consistently, something more costly but with a greater variety of cuts would be better, I should think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables