Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sugar
Posted by: ChellyRaw ()
Date: January 07, 2012 12:39AM

I am having a problem going raw. My drug of choice? Sugar. How can I overcome this and can someone tell me what this (sugar binges) is doing health wise to my body.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sugar
Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: January 07, 2012 02:59AM

eat so much fresh fruit you don't crave it any more

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 07, 2012 04:37PM

Read some of the books out on sugar addiction and the harm it does..that helped me. Sugar Blues was a good one I'd read probably over 20 years ago.

You might try keeping some small hard candies so that when the sugar cravings hit you have something that will help transition off the heavy load of sugar. Sugar will hit your brain quickly and give you that good feeling by releasing certain feel good chemicals so the small hard candies can help without overloading your digestive system. There are probably ways to make something similar with honey and lemon..like a small type cough drop.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 07, 2012 05:20PM

It depends on what sugar; fruit sugar I find I tolerate better than most others and has, after a time, totally short-circuited the craving for "table" sugar(I used evaporated cane juice before going raw) and even for starchy carbs. High fructose corn syrup is poison, and should be avoided at all costs. Sooner agave than that! Prism's suggestion to ease away from sugar slowly might be worth trying.

Posted by: johnvattik2 ()
Date: January 07, 2012 09:50PM

Very simple. Eat raw sugar cane!

[www.ehow.com]

Trick is to find it. Not carried in most supermarkets.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 08, 2012 12:17AM

This will be controversial. I eat and use raw, unheated, organic honey (with a 1/4 teaspoon of vitamin C crystals (as advised by Hulda Clark)) as a sugar substitute. Many vegans don't use honey.

What is vegan is raw dates. I especially like the medjool dates. Honey dates are great, too. I purchased mine from Jaffe Bros.

Posted by: ChellyRaw ()
Date: January 08, 2012 02:08AM

Hard candy is not an option, I just unloaded my sugar horded home and don't want to bring it back in. I have been a addict to sugar most of my life and I am going to change this now. I just need to find something to balance things out.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 08, 2012 03:41AM

Big fat juicy Medjool dates stuffed with a nut satisfy any sweet craving I've ever had.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 08, 2012 11:47AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Big fat juicy Medjool dates stuffed with a nut
> satisfy any sweet craving I've ever had.

This, medjool dates are amazing at curbing cravings for sugary foods. I just wish i had known about dates years back when i ate SAD as i could have lowered my consumption of sugary snacks with dates.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: ivac ()
Date: January 11, 2012 06:31PM

How about using the Coconut Secret Sugar Crystals and Nectar - they taste just like sugar. Try eating the raw sweet products first and see if they satisfy the cravings.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 11, 2012 06:58PM

Let us know how you do as you go along quitting the processed sugar. I think it's one of the hardest things to do but maybe in the long run the best thing a person can do for their health.

You could keep a handy list of the most low glycemic fruits and veggies.

Counteract the cravings for sweet with eating or drinking non-sweet things.

You could have a thread just for people to join you in quitting sugar with a time to begin and a time for it to end. We've done this with juice and water fasts and other things to jump start our motivation.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: January 12, 2012 03:36AM

I had a really hard time with sugar addiction years ago. For me, adding in the natural sugars in the form of fresh fruit, while completely eliminating all processed sugar is what finally helped. For me, naturally, over time, I stopped craving it altogether. Today, I have to be careful with high sugar natural foods like dates, because they can trigger the craving for the concentrated, processed stuff. I think we're all different. Putting it out there and intending to get off sugar is a powerful first step. Doing this, you'll be guided to the right course of action just right for you. This is how I approach any change I want to make in my life. Good luck. Sugar addiction is a big one, but you can do it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables