Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The school is trying to teach my kid about nutrition LMFAO
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 11, 2012 09:00PM

I've got some vegan and raw food pyramids to use for his assignments on this but I'd like some point form why and why not lists for things like dairy, grain, etc as well as why not to heat in respect to specific nutrients. I'll search myself but if anybody's got something they particularly like I'd love to see it. I used to have a bunch of pages bookmarked to pass along when people asked me about my diet but they were lost when that computer crashed. Wish I'd printed some of them out now that I want them again, oh well.

Thanks for anything you've got!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The school is trying to teach my kid about nutrition LMFAO
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 11, 2012 09:30PM

Dont red flag yourself these days schools take kids away for stupid reasons. If they think you are feeding children raw, there might be an issue.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 11, 2012 09:59PM

Coconut does have a point there. Maybe have him use the chart by Sapote Brooks..at least it's pretty and colorful and it teaches balance in nutrition.

Good luck Coco!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 11, 2012 10:12PM

Yeah, coco, cc has a point. Don't be paranoid, of course, but be cautious--rather than having little man say that such and such plant food should be eaten instead of whatever, he could say that such and such plant food may be eaten instead of whatever because it has more x, y, z. Vagueness is the watchword. You don't want anyone's kids going home repeating "provocative" ideas about food to closed-minded parents; people can be very touchy about this subject.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 11, 2012 11:04PM

That seems weird to have to think about such concerns, but I remember some student being told to have a haircut, otherwise he wasn't allowed to attend school. It was in some southern town were boys typically had crew cuts all the time, and to see a boy with hair 4 feet long was just confusing to them.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 11, 2012 11:26PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got some vegan and raw food pyramids to use
> for his assignments on this but I'd like some
> point form why and why not lists for things like
> dairy, grain, etc as well as why not to heat in
> respect to specific nutrients. I'll search myself
> but if anybody's got something they particularly
> like I'd love to see it. I used to have a bunch of
> pages bookmarked to pass along when people asked
> me about my diet but they were lost when that
> computer crashed. Wish I'd printed some of them
> out now that I want them again, oh well.
>
> Thanks for anything you've got!

Coco, I am studying for my teacher's license right now (early childhood) and had a nutrition course with all that typical crap. Really got strident about it because...I don't care anymore! I will be a zealot because it's so intense in the opposite direction that I feel like I have to speak up for our side. There is a plant-based pyramid but my understanding is that they've nixed the pyramid and now use a plate divided into different food groups.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 12, 2012 02:58AM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
You don't want anyone's kids
> going home repeating "provocative" ideas about
> food to closed-minded parents; people can be very
> touchy about this subject.

LOL, like when his classmate's younger brother refused to eat the "dead animal" he was served for supper one night after having a chat with my boy?
My kids aren't totally raw or even totally vegan, it's all good. With the inclusion of the forbidden food item (white and yellow, comes in a shell, delivered from a friend's farm) their diet is unquestionably fanfreakingtastic. I can print off the fitday.com stats to prove it too, and I will. Believe me, I'm not really afraid to open my big mouth about this one, I can back myself up.

BananaWho, I feel as you do. I have so much fact-based info at my finger tips, there isn't any way to refute that the dietary choices I make for us aren't sound. They are, the science proves they more than meet their nutritional needs. Better than those poor little kids with the bright blue "juice" in their lunches. Ugh.

And Mislu, his hair is getting long. He insists he'll "never cut it". Good for him. You do your own thing kid.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: January 14, 2012 04:26PM

Unfortunately theres more to diet than nutrition! And thats something the institutions will probable never understand. Alot of the reasons for eating raw aren't all about nutrients, ie hydration, digestion, cleanlines(non toxicity), consevation of energy etc...

Someone can eat all the RDA's for nutrients from whole foods and it can still be an unhealthy diet. All im saying, is you can tell them the reasons for eating raw, but I doubt they'll understand.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 14, 2012 05:51PM

Oh jeez coco. It's good to learn what the school's are teaching too. Your child can learn about organizing, vocabulary, yada yada at the same time as being fed the "standard." I don't know the whole story of whatever it is you're going through with this, but honestly, part of school is learning to deal with conformity issues. Just think about that! Raw food school where the curriculum teaches real history. Imagine that.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: January 15, 2012 12:56AM

life vs lifelessness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 01:01AM by Diogenez.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables