Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dried fruit and nuts and seeds..... advice?
Posted by: gems ()
Date: January 17, 2012 08:18PM

hey lovely people smiling smiley

I'm on a raw food transition stage, but still understand I have a way to go and a lot of clearing to do! smiling smiley I am eating mostly raw fruit and veg as my diet, But eating some cooked veg and some other things like olives, homous etc...

I am trying to heal my poor digestion system... 'IBS'. i probably had candida so I am aware of not eating too much sugar and feel its effects. But since being mostly raw fruit doesn't really give me a problem now

BUT I was wondering and how much nuts/seeds/dried fruit are ok, especially when transitioning. I understand you shouldn't eat too much of them, but how do you know what nuts are good for you? should you always soak them?

And how much dried fruit? Or should I try and leave it out for a while.

I know it's up to me to listen to my body, but im on a learning journey with that! smiling smiley and was just wondering where other people are with this?

My energy is better from eating mostly raw, and I want to continue this way of eating for life... but my digestion is still poor and still have my IBS so I'm really wanting to push myself to really cleanse my insides! smiling smiley and get back to my full energy again, and a happy tummy!

Thank you for your thoughts

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dried fruit and nuts and seeds..... advice?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 17, 2012 09:04PM

gems,

Hello! I would ask whether you tolerate nuts, seeds, and dried fruits generally. With IBS, because it covers a host of disorders, only you know whether small granular matter is good or bad for your digestive tract. Not every raw foodists even eats dried fruit, so I consider it optional, and the consumption of nuts is determined largely by how much fat one is permitting in one's diet. Some people don't soak their nuts, but it does make them softer and supposedly more digestible, so I usually do. I usually soak dried fruit, as well, just to soften it, unless it's a very soft date or something. Raw nut butters are an easy shortcut to getting some good fats without having to worry about whether one is chewing them down sufficiently well. Lastly, I am wondering whether you juice your raw veg, especially greens, because this can be a non-taxing way to get those healing nutrients into a struggling system.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:15AM

Dried fruit can be really hard on your teeth, as it tends to stick to your teeth and this can cause decay. If you eat dried fruit, be sure to drink plenty of water, and then brush your teeth after your dried fruit meal.

Most nuts/seeds will put your omega-6/omega-3 ratio way out of balance. One good seed in terms of good omega-3 balance is hemp seeds.

The best thing for cleaning out your digestive tract is lots of fresh greens. Try eating an entire head of romaine lettuce, and see how your elimination changes.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 18, 2012 07:32AM

whenever i eat dried fruits i hit the water-pik afterwards to blast out the sticky bits smiling smiley

more often then not i soak my dried seeds/nuts/fruits it gives them a whole nother taste and texture

try soaking a few nuts overnight and taste test them beside some unsoaked nuts and you will know what i mean smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 18, 2012 10:12AM

thank you so much for all this advice it will help a lot.

i am eating a lot of greens daily, but still struggling with elimination at times. this week my system feels very poor. sometimes when i eat nuts/seeds im fine and sometimes not. i think i should start soaking them.

thanks for the advice about the nut butters! i also have a ground flax seed mix i put in my green smoothies.

as i am at the begining stages of clearing out, maybe i should focus more on my veg and really limit my nuts, seeds, dried fruit... I am ok about cutting them down, I just want to make sure my body is getting everything it needs, but when my digestion is poor i dont think it really matters what i eat, everything feels a bit of a struggle, and maybe its not getting the nutrition efficiently from the nuts and seeds at this stage anyway.

thank you all for your help again! smiling smiley

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:36PM

Are you keeping track of what nuts/seeds you're eating when you're doing fine and which ones you're eating when you're not? If there's variation in your nut/seed consumption, you should still be able to identify the culprit by eating one type and monitoring your reaction.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:49PM

Prana is correct about hemp seeds being good for Omega 3 to Omega 6 balance. Other nuts and seeds that have favorable Omega 3 to 6 profiles (i.e. between 4:1 and 1:4) include chia seeds, flax seeds which need to be ground,and walnuts).

Date: January 19, 2012 11:04AM

smiling smiley thank you for the advice smiling smiley will take it on baord xx

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 20, 2012 01:58AM

How can people say we will feel good eating loads of dates? I mean, they're delicious and all but even with all that fiber they are still very sweet!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables