Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I wish there was raw foods in cans or jars.
Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 22, 2012 04:27PM

Are cans made out of steel or aluminum?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wish there was raw foods in cans or jars.
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 22, 2012 04:51PM

There can be! When you get your fresh produce home, put it into a large mason jar smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 22, 2012 07:45PM

Alice, at least we have those wonderful raw Twinkies in wrappers. And they last thousands of years to boot!

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: January 22, 2012 11:47PM

I used to think that it was the meat that made non-raw vegans smell bad, it is, but then I realized that by far the worst offenders are canned foods with garlic. At least that's the case for me. The stench that arises from the canned spaghetti sauce eater is among the worst smells I've ever experienced. Have you ever tried eating a can of vegan soup after being raw for like a year? It's foul.

I'll take it one step further Alice and wish for a raw vegan, non GMO pill that I can take every morning and which will totally satisfy all my nutritional needs. We don't need no more stinkin' cans.

Posted by: Ifeelgood ()
Date: January 23, 2012 07:47PM

Instead of cans or jars think plastic bags.

The frozen fruit in the supermart is raw (the frozen vegetables are blanched) so you could be buying frozen fruit! One advantage of frozen fruit is that the fruit is ripened on the vine or in the field and then quickly frozen. At least that's what I assume since everything I've read about food processing has the fruit being trucked to the processing plant and processed ASAP.

I don't buy pineapple from the produce section anymore, I've been dissapointed with them rotting or not being ripe so many times, I get it frozen instead.

Frozen blueberries and mangos yumm! But strawberries taste better fresh IMHO.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 07:50PM by Ifeelgood.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: January 23, 2012 10:20PM

Freezing destroy nutrients especially food that has a lot of water such as pineapple. [www.rawfoodexplained.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 23, 2012 11:35PM

You can find jars of low-temperature processed nut butters and other really high-fat decandent things at places like Whole Paycheck... (I <3 Artisana.)

When I first went raw, one of my coping mechanisms was to eat coconut butter by the spoonful. One day I was so desperate, I bought a jar from Whole Foods, grabbed a spoon from the deli, and sat and ate half the jar in my car.

I felt SO SICK... and never really ate it again. Now I put a tiny bit in smoothies (YUM! YUM!), but... It's interesting how raw food seems to be a self-regulating process. smiling smiley

Posted by: nrothgarden ()
Date: January 24, 2012 12:49AM

Raw foods in cans like something that you would get at stores? Sounds processed. Not sure if that's a good idea...

Check out my raw food review blog at rawfoodland.com!

Posted by: Ifeelgood ()
Date: January 25, 2012 04:40AM

madinah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Freezing destroy nutrients especially food that
> has a lot of water such as pineapple.

Ok, so the link says that freezing oxidizes the cells, especially where air hits the destroyed cell. Personally, I'm fine with a thin layer of oxidized cells on the outside of my frozen fruit. That would mean just the outside of the fruit woul have a layer of destroyed nutrients, and 99% or so would be just fine.

The link also says that when the cells burst from freezing, the cells' own enzymes start digesting the cells. Well, that's the whole concept behind raw fruit - getting the food's own enzymes to assist in digestion.

As long as I don't let frozen fruit thaw and sit for awhile so bacteria grows on the destroyed cells, I think I'll be OK. Thanks for the warning, but I'm not seeing how frozen fruit is much worse than fruit that's been picked green and then artificially ripened in cold storage.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2012 04:59AM

Ifeelgood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...that's the whole concept behind
> raw fruit - getting the food's own enzymes to
> assist in digestion...

The rest of your post I agree with, this bit though is not accurate, the enzymes in food don't help to digest it.

When making the choice between eating what you can find locally or importing food from far away, stored food is a better bet IMHO. Grown locally, picked when fresh and frozen or dehydrated for winter consumption. As you said, picked green and gassed to ripen doesn't sound like a recipe for the most nutritious of meals.

Date: January 25, 2012 08:31PM

Ifeelgood
The quote says the cell's life is lost

When a food is frozen, its water expands. This causes two immediately destructive occurrences:

The cell walls burst and the cell contents are spilled due to the internal water expansion; hence the cell's life is lost.

Oxidation occurs where air reaches the frozen foodstuff; hence nutrients are lost. .
[www.rawfoodexplained.com]
I used to put frozen pineaples in my smoothies, One day I left it out to unfreeze, when I ate some it was horrible, it was no longer a pineaple in my view.
Pineaple has too much water to survive deep freezing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 08:33PM by madinah.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2012 10:20PM

Cell walls also burst when you blend foods. Or chew it. So long as it is consumed quickly frozen food does in fact contain quite a bit of nutrient value.
If you don't want to have it yourself that's a choice but to tell others who are choosing it over imported foods that they are making a useless choice is harmfully erroneous.
For example, there seems to be quite a bit of value retained in these frozen peas even though they have been boiled.
[nutritiondata.self.com]

Date: January 25, 2012 10:48PM

nutritiondata is measuring nutrients, vitamins as chemical compounds. I thought we were talking about life force in eating raw. There is no question that there is some life left in frozen pineaple but personally it does not appeal to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 10:51PM by madinah.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 26, 2012 08:03PM

I agree with you phantom, but I like to make my own nut butters. Coconut butter/oil is so good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables