Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what oils to use in a raw food diet...
Posted by: gems ()
Date: January 25, 2012 11:49AM

i was wondering on what oils people use in their diet? like cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, flax seed oil etc...

what oils should you be getting in, if any at all? and does anyone know if oils help joints?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what oils to use in a raw food diet...
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 25, 2012 01:52PM

Many oils are rich in omega-3 so they can help joint health. I use a little olive and coconut oil now and again but other than that really don't use alot of oil.

Coconut oil i like and it has many benefits such as thyroid health, its anti-microbial properties, increasing energy etc.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 25, 2012 10:58PM

If you are 100% raw then this is an important question. Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina cover this area very thoroughly in their book 'Becoming Raw'

The oils that you could include in your diet are flaxseed oil, hempseed oil or olive oil. But you need to take care to balance your ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 levels (between 2:1 and 4:1)

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 25, 2012 11:29PM

Cold pressed extra vrigin organic olive oil and organic virgin coconut oil.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2012 11:33PM

Tee hee, you guys said virgin grinning smiley.

Date: January 26, 2012 11:22AM

thank you, that helps alot smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 26, 2012 06:59PM

gems Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i was wondering on what oils people use in their
> diet? like cold pressed extra virgin olive oil,
> flax seed oil etc...
>
> what oils should you be getting in, if any at all?
> and does anyone know if oils help joints?

I use none. I rely on nuts and seeds in limited amounts for healthy fats. The rest of my diet is mostly vegetables, fruits and sprouts.

Paul

Posted by: nrothgarden ()
Date: January 26, 2012 07:07PM

You can use different ones. I like extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed, and hempseed. I'm not a big fan of the taste of coconut oil with foods.

Check out my raw food review blog at rawfoodland.com!

Date: January 26, 2012 07:26PM

coconut oil may not be better than butter when it comes to serum cholesterol. MCTs notwithstanding, the stuff may be as bad as butter as far as adding to serum cholesterol like other saturated fats. [nutritionfacts.org]

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]. Caveats, it's one data point and a relatively small study

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 07:33PM by pborst.

Date: January 26, 2012 07:30PM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> coconut oil is terrible. MCTs notwithstanding,
> the stuff is aweful as far as adding to serum
> cholesterol like other saturated fats.
> [nutritionfacts.org]
> od-for-you/
>
> I'm not suggesting that all saturated fats are
> created equal, rather just that none of them is
> any good and there are different degrees of how
> bad they are.

The latest I've read on this is completely contrary to what you've said. I'd be happy to read you elaborate a bit... Always refining the knowledge with the help of my smarty friends smiling smiley.

Date: January 26, 2012 07:39PM

Coco,

I think I jumped the gun with Greger (and edited post above). He tends to overstate at times. His study supports his contention but it is just one data point. Just now, when going through Pub-Med, I read a study on pre-menopausal women in the Phillipines that went the other way. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]. The Phillipine study was a cohort of 1800 Filipino women which says coconut oil is favorably associated with HDL and not associated with either LDL or triglycerides. Compared with the cohort of 1800, Greger's study was about 40. Lessons learned. I would say the jury is still out one way or the other for coconut oil. Nuts and seeds are still healthier though.

Paul

Date: January 26, 2012 07:55PM

I would rather not have coconut oil as it is shipped to my area from far away. Hemp grows here, sunflower and pumpkin too. Hazelnut, walnut, pinenuts, all local sources.

Date: January 26, 2012 07:56PM

The truth may be somewhere in the middle.

[www.health.harvard.edu]

"Q. I have started noticing more coconut oil at the grocery store and have heard it is better for you than a lot of other oils. Is that true?

A. I've also noticed that coconut oil seems to be catching on these days. Coconut oil is about 90% saturated fat, which is a higher percentage than butter (about 64% saturated fat), beef fat (40%), or even lard (also 40%). Too much saturated fat in the diet is unhealthy because it raises "bad" LDL cholesterol levels, which increases the risk of heart disease. So it would seem that coconut oil would be bad news for our hearts.

But what's interesting about coconut oil is that it also gives "good" HDL cholesterol a boost. Fat in the diet, whether it's saturated or unsaturated, tends to nudge HDL levels up, but coconut oil seems to be especially potent at doing so.

Saturated fat is divided into various types, based on the number of carbon atoms in the molecule, and about half of the saturated fat in coconut oil is the 12-carbon variety, called lauric acid. That is a higher percentage than in most other oils, and is probably responsible for the unusual HDL effects of coconut oil. But plant-based oils are more than just fats. They contain many antioxidants and other substances, so their overall effects on health can't be predicted just by the changes in LDL and HDL.

Coconut is a wonderful flavor and there's no problem using coconut oil occasionally. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so cooks are experimenting with using it instead of butter or vegetable shortening to make pie crust and other baked goods that require a solid source of fat. And if you're preparing a Thai dish, cooking with coconut oil may be essential.

But, for now, I'd use coconut oil sparingly. Most of the research so far has consisted of short-term studies to examine its effect on cholesterol levels. We don't really know how coconut oil affects heart disease. And I don't think coconut oil is as healthful as vegetable oils like olive oil and soybean oil, which are mainly unsaturated fat and therefore both lower LDL and increase HDL. Coconut oil's special HDL-boosting effect may make it "less bad" than the high saturated fat content would indicate, but it's still probably not the best choice among the many available oils to reduce the risk of heart disease.

— Walter C. Willett, M.D.
Harvard School of Public Health
Department of Nutrition
Harvard Health Letter Editorial Board"

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 04:11PM

I think any of the nourishing oils are good to have in moderation- like olive, coconut, sesame, flax/hemp, etc. Avoid GMO crap like soybean/vegetable oil.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 05:18PM

I will have to agree with the use of nuts instead of oil. From a primative point of view oil is a convienence, nuts also stimulate stomach acid, quite a bit like eating meat.
This straight from HHI, Coconut oil causes a rise in tryglycerides and therefore raises cholesterol. Of coarse this does'nt happen in all people so if you are healthy dig in, I love it! IMO Hemp Oil is the best and it is the most balanced ratio of the omegas. If a person has a yeast infection oil is not the best thing imo. so lean toward the use of nuts until the body is stronger.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 28, 2012 05:20PM

I was reading a rawfoodster recently (can't remember who) and s/he now just uses avocado as fat (oil) because it's in its whole form. I found that very interesting.

Date: January 28, 2012 05:28PM

We hardly ever use oil, I'd rather have it in it's whole form too. Local sources are limited though, just a few nuts and seeds. Avocado and olives aren't on that list so those are occasional treats only.

Date: January 31, 2012 07:47AM

smiling smiley thanks for advice everyone smiling smiley

Date: January 31, 2012 08:55AM

Oils is oils equals FAT, no matter where the oil comes from. Do I have to say more???

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 31, 2012 02:30PM

Yes because all that is saying is that you have a paranoia about fat. smiling smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:37PM

I use mostly ground up flaxseeds.
May not be the best source,but its so cheap and I figure if its flax,then the oil is in there.
Vinny

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:40PM

Geo,
My view on FAT was like yours years ago.
I did the 1980's thing and eliminated as much as I could from my diet.I mean i was down to almost zero.
I then went on to a very long term depression requiring many hospitalizations.
May not be related,but then again.....

Vinny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 03:40PM by eaglefly.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:51PM

i like my fats from whole source as well ..avos, nuts, seeds . When i do use oil i really like hempseed oil smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:59PM

I will go with wholefood sources also usually as they contain supporting nutrition and phyto-nutrients etc. But there are some benefits to including a small amount of oils in your diet such as stopping bile from stagnating and gallbladder health.

Also some oils have individual health benefits which can be beneficial for some, coconut oil for example digests differently to other vegetable oils and is actually digested very quickly, this helps increase metabolism and energy making it possibly also beneficial for those with hypothyroidism. Also the MCT's that coconut oil contains are well known for their anti-microbial properties.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: January 31, 2012 04:19PM

Animals in the wild do not ask these questions, they just eat raw and the oil comes along

Date: January 31, 2012 04:33PM

While nuts and seeds are better sources of fats than oils because of their phytonutrients and fiber, small amounts of oil (less than 1 tbsp per day) are unlikely to cause weight gain or compromise health. In particular in the case of olives, EVOO may offer polyphenols and squalene without the sodium of the brined whole olive. the dose is the poison so they say. Best.

Paul

Date: January 31, 2012 05:36PM

Hahaha noooo I not paranoid about fat, and ok, I'll say abit more. I realise we do need some fat in our diet. But I prefer the natural sources too, and I eat plenty of nuts. But I had a look in the cupboard, and found some 'rice bran' oil, is that a good one???

Date: January 31, 2012 10:11PM

I think the operate question on this thread for plant based oils is not so much what but rather "how much"... 1 to 2 tbsp seems like a reasonable upper bound. And of course less is more... but then you knew that didn't you??? ;P

Paul

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 31, 2012 11:05PM

I put my oil for salads in a reusable spray bottle and spritz my oil I find I use less then just pouring it on smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 01, 2012 10:35AM

Great idea Jodi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables