Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What is the coating on Romaine?
Posted by: Sunburst ()
Date: February 09, 2012 06:50PM

Hello,

Recently, Dr. Mercola had an article about this coating on romaine lettuce, even organic, that has never been seen before by people who grow their own romaine. Well this is controverisal because some say it's the romaines own natural epidural skin, and some say it is coated to preserve freshness, even on organic produce.

Well I went to my local organic farm and bought romaine that was just harvested that morning. I even waited for the guy to rinse it after they just picked it, and then I bought several heads of romaine. Low and behold, when I got home I checked to see if I could peel a coat off of it.... and yes! There is a plastic like coating that I peeled off on every leaf, both sides, everywhere.

I'm freaking out! Did my local organic farm guy rinse my freshly picked romaine in this coating stuff as I waited, or is this truly a natural part of the romaine?

Here's Mercola's article:

[articles.mercola.com]

On a side note, I juiced some small organic carrots I just bought in a 5 lb bag, and the juice tasted "soapy", so I tossed it out. Is this weird taste because the carrots are young, or is something wrong with the carrots?

I really am freaking out and so disappointed because I want to go raw and this has been discouraging.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the coating on Romaine?
Posted by: Sunburst ()
Date: February 09, 2012 08:42PM

Ok, I just called the farmer and he said it's just cellulose and he does not coat his romaine or anything else. He said sometimes they don't even rinse it, they just pick it and put it on the farmstand...So nothing to worry about.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 09, 2012 09:00PM

If it is something said by Joseph Mercola, that is enough reason for me not waste my time.

[www.quackwatch.org]
[www.diseaseproof.com]
[www.diseaseproof.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 09:04PM by pborst.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 10, 2012 06:23PM

Very fresh romaine can have its own weird chemical output. What I worry about is the "water" that my organic loose produce is misted with every quarter hour at the supermarket? I wash the heck out of it when I get home, but still . . .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 10, 2012 07:47PM

I used to bring fresh sprouts home from the sprout farm that were misted with reverse osmosis water every day only to have to rinse them in my own sink with bleach water. Sigh.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:50PM

bleach is better than bacteria... sorry, I know that isn't what you like to hear but it how drinking water gets treated. One day coco, we will get reacquainted. I'm not the bad guy here.

Paul smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 08:51PM by pborst.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 10, 2012 11:42PM

Paul, my point was that we'd take the sprouts home and wash them in water that was not as good as what they'd been rinsed in daily at the farm. Unlike grocery store produce, we'd have been better off just eating them as is.
I only think the highest thoughts of you, you're a good guy. Passionate at times, that's not a bad thing though smiling smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables