Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

resveratrol?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:20PM

What are the raw vegan opinion about resveratrol supplements?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: resveratrol?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:33PM

I think things like this are unnecessary and possibly unhealthy. Eating foods in their whole form is always the most balanced approach, nature is no dummy after all. We will never understand all of the components of grapes or any other food to know how it all works in synchronicity to nourish and support our bodies. Taking out one essential element and concentrating it in the hopes of delivering a more powerful benefit may have untold effects. With everything, omega's, vitamins and minerals, etc, I prefer to consume a whole food source, organic wherever possible.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 21, 2012 03:03PM

Resveratrol is used by the body as broad spectrum anti-inflammatory compound. Presumably if one is eating a generally anti-inflammatory diet high in fruits and vegetables, then resveratrol is unnecessary, no?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 21, 2012 04:12PM

Reveratrol may also be an anti-aging agent, possibly upregulating the SIRT2 gene in humans. But, Tamara is right. I think supplements may not be necessary. Muscadine grapes are fairly high in resveratrol. The answer may partly depend on what you are looking to accomplish. Just don't use red wine to do it.

Paul

Date: February 23, 2012 12:28AM

I've read some journal articles that suggest that resveratrol repairs cellular and DNA damage, while also attacking cancer cells. I'm not a great fan of supps, since most do not work, and that the best source is the natural one. So, whole unprocessed food is the go. I drink and eat grape juice and/or grapes each day. Resveratrol is the truth behind the message to drink a glass of red wine during the evening meal, as it's believed that the fermentation process increases the level of resveratrol.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 23, 2012 05:38AM

Just eat grapes!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 23, 2012 10:04AM

It really depends on why you want to use these various substances and if so to determine the concentration/dosage needed to achieve X result.

If just for general health stick with food sources.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: February 29, 2012 06:38AM

Well, resveratrol is in the skin, stalk, seeds and flesh of grapes. So, as Prana says, 'just eat grapes'. In her book, 'The Grape Cure' by Johanna Brandt, she outlines what she did to cure herself of stomach cancer in the 1920's. And she cured many, many people in the US by just eating grapes and/or grape juice. That was before anything was known about resveratrol, and it's cancer killing properties. It's a good read, and available from the Prof Arnold Erhet foundation.

Cheers,
geo x

Posted by: Duke ()
Date: February 29, 2012 10:55AM

It's a water soluble antioxidant which is very powerful and can repair cellular damage as some have stated before.

Neither drinking grape juice / wine nor eating the grapes will bring you the benefits that are forwarded by the resveratrol supplement because the latter is concentrated; a pill has the equivalent of 39 x 8oz of red wine glasses.

Date: February 29, 2012 11:13AM

Ok Duke, I hear you, but are they fully absorbable? And are there studies to support that? I'm just curious, cause there was a study that suggested that anti-oxidant supplements don't work, as they aren't in their natural balance. So is it also true with resveratrol supps?

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 29, 2012 11:16AM

yeah, it looks that it is hard to tell if it is absorb well or if makes any short term difference. maybe different manufacturers of pills make a difference. But at least there is a lot research done on it.

Date: February 29, 2012 11:19AM

Duke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a water soluble antioxidant which is very
> powerful and can repair cellular damage as some
> have stated before.
>
> Neither drinking grape juice / wine nor eating the
> grapes will bring you the benefits that are
> forwarded by the resveratrol supplement because
> the latter is concentrated; a pill has the
> equivalent of 39 x 8oz of red wine glasses.

I dont know about this tbh, geo. I will look into it later, but the supplement has an ORAC value which is measured by machines. Most of the content of the pill is grape seeds ground very finely; it's all natural. Personally i believe it is highly absorbable.

Just like spices for example turmeric; they're an excellent source of anti-oxidants, and they're concetrated and not a whole food, yet it's well known that they offer immense benefits dur to their anti-oxidant behavior.

Same thing can be said about COQ10; its another antioxidant which also recycle other antioxidants. The benefits are well known and i have read about alot of studies about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 11:21AM by Duke.

Date: February 29, 2012 02:37PM

Well, you could always dehydrate grapes yourself and eat those. Wait, that's raisins. LOL.

And turmeric is a whole food, it's dried and ground.

Date: March 01, 2012 09:34AM

The active compounds in Turmeric are also poorly absorbable, studies have shown black pepper consumed at the same time can increase the bioavailability of curcumin which is one of the actives.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 01, 2012 11:53AM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The active compounds in Turmeric are also poorly
> absorbable, studies have shown black pepper
> consumed at the same time can increase the
> bioavailability of curcumin which is one of the
> actives.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

I havent read of such studies before; please post a sample of those studies. On the countrary, what i know is, Turmeric / curcumin are highly absorbable.

Date: March 01, 2012 12:07PM

Actually much to the contrary Curcumin is quite very poorly absorbed. The studies should be easy from a google search for the black pepper increasing Curcumin's bioavailibility and effectiveness. Piperine + Turmeric etc can be searched into google too.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 01, 2012 12:34PM

I have checked it, and it looks like I was wrong. Thanks for bringing this up and correcting me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables