Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Got my test results back
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 15, 2006 04:33PM

It seems I've overdosed on B12! Doctor shocked, soid to give it up and get retested in 3-4 months.
Also low TSH levels and borderline low T4 levels.
i wonder if I've poisoned myself with supplements to cause this. All the nutritional advice is to take lots of supplements to rectify this. I also have an appointment with the endocrinologist soon. Thought you might loke to know how it went anyway...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Got my test results back
Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: July 15, 2006 04:41PM

if you are eating a balance of foods, suppliments shouldn't really be needed. For now, until your levels are adjusted, I'd stop them anyway.

Date: July 15, 2006 04:53PM

yes...but I think I should take starflower oil and flax oil. Minerals are supposed to be the thing to take, and vitamins. I might go to a nutritionist, although they might not know that much more about it. This sort of research needs funding, which is unlikely.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 15, 2006 05:29PM

Why should you take those oils? Its easy for flax oil to go rancid, and if these are refined oils, there's no way for you to tell that they are bad. There is enough essential fatty acids in fruits and leafy greens, so why bother? There are also plenty of minerals in leafy greens and vegetables, and plenty of vitamins in fresh fruit.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 15, 2006 05:35PM

Hey Bryan,

I agree with you
simple is best
me no like factory stuff

i eat from the soil factory
chomp chomp
glug glug

smile smile
wink wink
twinkle twinkle

hey!!!! this stuff realllly works!!

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 15, 2006 06:30PM

That's the first I've heard of a B12 overdose! I take the vegan B12 everyday, because at one point (after 15 years vegan, and very little nutritional yeast) I was B12 deficient and began to get the deficiency symptoms like pins and needles in my feet and hands. Now I'm concerned I could be getting too much!

Could you let us know how much B12 you were taking, what source, and were you getting B12 from more than one source?

Thanks, and hope you're feeling better soon.

Best wishes, -Ally

Date: July 15, 2006 07:11PM

Rosemary,

Also, would you mind reading the small print on your B12 supplement bottle, and let us know if your B12 was from cyanocobalamin or methylcobalamin? I read on the vegan forum that the methyl form may be safer.

Best wishes, -Ally

Date: July 16, 2006 04:09PM

I haven't heard of essential fats in veg...anyway i get mine from seeds at the moment.
yes i was taking 3 supplements all with B12 in them, so I guess that's why. I was taking a B-complex, iron, and mineral- complex, all of which had a dose of B-12, so don't worry everyone!

Date: July 17, 2006 02:10AM

Thanks for your response Rosemary.

I feel better now about the B12. Since reading your post though about the overdose, I've been wondering why the B12 supplements contain so MUCH B12. Vegan Society says 10 mcg per day is enough, or 2000 mcg per week (since the body absorbs only a small amount for each dose). My B12 supplements contain 1000 mcg per lozenge, and the suggested dose on the bottle is 1 or 2 a DAY.

Also, the cyanocobalamin (B12 source in VegLife Vegan B12) has cyanide in it. My understanding is that our bodies do utilize small quantities of cyanide, but we already get enough cyanide from natural food sources.

Next time I'm at the store, I'm going to try and find the methylcobalamin, and maybe just take 2000 mcg per week.

Thanks again, -Ally

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables