Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
80-10-10 Bad For You?
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: November 07, 2008 05:16PM

Hi,
I'm thinking about doing 811 and have been researching a lot. I've come across hair falling out and not growing back, raw people saying you don't get enough nutrients and our bodies and his reputation will pay for it later.

I'd like some opinions from anyone here that's actually followed it.

Thanks!!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80-10-10 Bad For You?
Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: November 07, 2008 05:43PM

Hi,

I did 80/10/10 a while back for a month 100% raw and i can honestly say i DID lose half the hair on my head and also lost a stone and a half in weight, and i wasnt over weight to begin with. I also was very pale and had HUGE bags under my eyes, I had to stop because i looked so bad.

I still have thin hair now, Not as thin. But definatly not as thick as it was before i started eating raw.
My body weight is better now, But i am not as built as i was (im a guy by the way)

And now i eat vegan about 80% raw ,and trying my hardest to get 100% again, but i want to do it properly this time, and im not sure what that is yet . smiling smiley

All the best.

Paulie.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: November 07, 2008 07:45PM

My hair started falling out after about 3 months and my candida test has showed worse results than before i went vegan. (FIrst I was at a 0, now I am at a 2, so still not bad)

I do okay with my version of it now if I juice lots of greens and supplement my Bs (for the hair), D (especially in winter) and Omega 3's. I also eat one Brazil nut a day for selenium (also good for the hair). I don't follow it exactly as in the book, but the biggest and most important idea I took away from the book was to go low in fat. And that message has saved me a lot of trouble! I do not do well without my omega pills and the hair loss has slowed since adding Bs and selenium, so the nut and the omega pills are my only overt fats. Am at 10% or under.

I am still learning and definitely havent found the optimal way for me yet, but high fruit, high veg, low fat is at the basis of what I do now and it has yielded the best results so far. Some water cooked veggies (carrots, beets, rarely a potato). Still not doing GREAT, but better. I seem to be in a perpetual light grade detox (sore throat, tired) for the last 2 months or so, right now I am going with it.

Listening to my own body, reading and learning...

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 07, 2008 07:52PM

811 is generally a made up diet by Dr. Graham. Supposedly anyone who tries it and it doesn't work means they did it wrong.

So I'll say I'm not on 811, but I follow the basis of it; fruit, lettuce, and vegetables. Occasional lentils.

I also lost a lot of weight immediately after a month of following 811 the "right" way, but it may have been because it was hard to get in enough calories at first. The beginning is always rocky, but I guess you just have to try things out for yourself before you can adjust around them. It certainly helped me get closer to my goal diet, but I'm still on a search for the perfect one for me

gooood luck though

Posted by: mira ()
Date: November 07, 2008 10:11PM

Is there any sites or articles with feedbacks of people who fallowed it right, but did not feel good?

I'm interested in reading the cons about 80-10-10

Date: November 07, 2008 10:47PM

I couldn't find any feedback articles or sites. I just know I can't afford for ANY more hair to fall out.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: November 08, 2008 12:00AM

I've been doing 80-10-10 for a little over 2 weeks now and have noticed nothing but benefits. Its actually been closer to 90-5-5. I've had no hair problems and lost about 12 lbs.

As for supplements, I very rarely take a vegan b12 sublingual.

If you want to check out my fitday go here:

[www.fitday.com]

I've never read Dr. Graham's book and I'm guessing I'm not following his regimen closely. I'm not following anyone's. I'm eating what tastes good to me.

And, I've only been doing this for 2 weeks so maybe the worst is yet to come, but I feel really good and expect it to only get better.

david

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: November 08, 2008 12:17AM

Rhio has a raw website with a section that talks about the problems of 80/10/10. You might want to google her; she seems pretty down on Graham and says that he removes a lot of posts from his board that contradict his theories.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: November 08, 2008 01:00AM

i average 80 10 10
longterm. years and years.
before the book
my hair is too thick

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 08, 2008 01:57AM

I had thinning hair before doing 80/10/10 or any raw. Nowadays my hair is very healthy. Losing hair is a common detox symptom for ANY kind of raw diet, including 80/10/10. The good part is that the hair comes back even better than before the person started.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: November 08, 2008 05:27AM

Bryan--
I had a similar experience. When I was starting out raw, my thick hair got quite a bit thinner, both in terms of the thickness of the hair follicles and just the quantity of hair on my head. This went on for a few years. Now my hair is real thick again.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 08, 2008 11:07AM

When i did the 80/10/10 i was just eating fruit, lots of fruit though, but very few greens, with no added fats.
Maybe if i ate lots of greens with the fruit my hair would be ok ?
Or i wouldn't of lost it ?

Date: November 08, 2008 02:28PM

I'm also interested in any sites that oppose 811; it's always a plus to here two sides of everything

hair loss could be a lack of b vitamins/ random other things - unfortunately a lot of things could be the cause of hair loss, so it's not easy to say straight up the cause of it

Right now i'm on like a date diet. wow i love those suckers - seriously, read about dates, they've got such a history. and they are delicious.

I'll add that one thing in particular that made me a little hesitant to completely trust dr. graham was a post on his message board that said something like "oh i read an article that said demi moore never did any kind of 80/10/10 diet and she doesn't know what it is" (dr. g had claimed to have consulted with her) and he replied, "oh it was a long time ago, you know how those people who eat cooked food think..." you know like he was putting himself above; or maybe he was trying to make it seem like he had trained someone in order to get publicity for his book. I'm not trying to point him out as a fake persay, but he may be desperate enough to get his idea out that he would lie about something like that. On the other hand he's done good things as well. But hey, you can't ignore your intuition. I mean, just look at politicians. George Bush seems like a real nice guy, but damn, he can't run a country.

I don't know it just struck me as odd with that response. The board seems like a bunch of people who have problems and don't get helped really. I stopped going on it cause it seemed like it was much less a support board and more of a "just do it right and stop being retarded" board.

Date: November 08, 2008 04:05PM

with dates i recommend you brush your teeth alot
and eat alot of mineralized leafy greens ~ 1-2 lbs per day

i did fail to mention that my teeth have suffered
but that is the only thing and prob because in the early days
i did not brush enough or eat enough greens

dehydrated fruits are a good transitional food though

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: November 08, 2008 05:15PM

No problems here, thicker hair than ever. I must say that I have met scores of people following an 80/10/10 type of diet and almost invariably they exhibited excellent health with NO signs of hair loss or malnutrition.
I have met more people following other types of raw diets who seemed to display sickly health.
That being said, many of them told me that they did experience some hair loss in the beginning, as Bryan mentioned, but that it grew back more thickly than before.
Even in this thread we see from PaulieGB the common problem that people claim to have followed 80/10/10 and then we find out that they really weren't, i.e, not eating the recommended quantity of green vegetables, overeating fats without counting it, etc.
I have family and close friends all eating this type of diet, people with whom I am very close and know exactly what they are doing on a daily basis. From this sample pool alone I see absolutely nothing but thriving, vibrant health. My sister, for example, broke her arm seriously in a car accident this summer and the doctors said they were astonished by how quickly and well it healed, as though she were a child with fast growing bones.

The cynic in me cannot help but notice that most of the "big names" opposing this type of diet have a financial stake in it not being true. It would make their supplements and special snack food businesses obsolete. The Rhio posts have been addressed elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2008 05:21PM by doghouse reilly.

Date: November 08, 2008 07:11PM

the dates I eat aren't dried, though; i also eat them morning only - not just dates
i don't seem to be having any teeth problems; i eat about half a pound of lettuce a day or so, and vegetables

did you eat only fruit? what exactly happened with your teeth, and did you notice any signs/symptoms before you got a diagnosis (if you did)?

also, all teeth are different; i know someone who drinks coffee all the time, hardly brushes and has had zero cavities in her life
her brother doesnt drink coffee or eat much sugar and brushes his teeth like twice a day or when he's bored and gets cavities like *that*

but I will make sure to monitor my teeth; it's always something I keep in mind on the mostly fruit diet; i'm still interested in what happened with your fruit diet, so please let me know

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 08, 2008 07:36PM

I felt pretty lackluster when I ate mostly fruit.

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: November 08, 2008 07:59PM

I just bought the 80/10/10 book and started reading it a few nights ago. I understand what is being said about his 'personality' (to be fair) coming through in his argument for the raw vegan lifestyle. But I do feel attracted to the menu plan that he outlined. I just started today, and vowed to give it a month of following his menus to a t. I reasonably expect to experience icky detox symptoms, and it would not be fair to attribute the diet in and of itself to detox experiences. So I will see what happens.

Date: November 08, 2008 08:49PM

I just don't want to lose anymore hair and quite frankly I'm confused about what to eat to get optimal nutrition. It all makes my head spin. What I know at present:

From living SAD or genetics or what ever I have:
Hypothyroidism
Hypopiuitarism
Diabetes
Adrenal failure (which I believe they can be brought back though I'm told otherwise)
Gut paralysis from stomach to colon (which they said I should not eat fruits or veggies because I'd need surgery to remove the balls of undigested fiber.
Obesity - I lost 110 lbs to 125. Since they put me on cortisone I've gained 50 back in the last 4 years.
Eating disorders compulsive overeating and bulimia. I know I under eat.

I don't want to get sicker by eating a particuar "diet" and I don't want to get sicker staying the way I am. Cortisone causes intense cravings for sugar and fat.
I feel like I'm dying.

I guess I'll start an 811 type plan and tweak it as needed. I'm just still so new I wish I knew a "right" way to eat raw. It would be great to get off some of these meds.

I did attend the raw potluck last Sunday and got sick to my stomach because dang near everything from the soup to the pudding to the dip was high fat avocado.
I do have to say it was the best tomato soup I ever had in my life and I wish I could get the recipe. Too bad most people are all about $$$ and not sharing a little bit.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Date: November 08, 2008 09:16PM

What i cant get over is how bad dr. graham looks, and all the bad comments i have read about him on these forums.

If 80/10/10 is so good then why doesn't the man look healthy and come accross as a real nice guy ?

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: November 08, 2008 10:27PM

Are you kidding me? Do you really base your nutrition information on whether or not someone is "a real nice guy?"

I can't tell you what sort of ignorant haze I would find myself in if I based all of my learning on whether or not my teachers were "real nice guys."

As far as appearances go, I have met Dr. Graham personally numerous times and find him to be a healthy looking man. I have heard people both agree and disagree with that opinion, so make of it what you will.

Date: November 08, 2008 10:33PM

iLive,

yes, in my earlier years i ate less greens.
at one point i had multiple cavities, broken fillings
and periodontitis. totally unexpected. i was also diagnosed
as needing 2 root canals but diverted them by swishing
diluted hydrogen peroxide.

since then, i spent a couple years remineralizing with
blended greens as a suppliment. the earlier issues are ameliorated,
but i now have bruxism and stained teeth.

the bruxism i do not connect to diet, but the stained teeth maybe.
the two are also unexpected because i feel my lifestyle is low stress
and i attend to dental hygiene borderline ocd like. my dentist actually
asked if i had started smoking. i about jumped out of the chair i was
so horrified. she said beets and carrots could cause it, and i do eat 3-5
beets or carrots per day. yet in my 20's i did long carrot/beet juice
fasts with no teeth staining.

dental health is so important. what raw foodist would want to be limited
to a blended diet the rest of their life. not me.

fruitgirl

Date: November 08, 2008 10:54PM

doghouse reilly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you kidding me? Do you really base your
> nutrition information on whether or not someone is
> "a real nice guy?"
>
> I can't tell you what sort of ignorant haze I
> would find myself in if I based all of my learning
> on whether or not my teachers were "real nice
> guys."
>
> As far as appearances go, I have met Dr. Graham
> personally numerous times and find him to be a
> healthy looking man. I have heard people both
> agree and disagree with that opinion, so make of
> it what you will.

Dont go over the top now.

I dont think the man looks that healthy and many have said the same,
No one has said how great he looks.
I thought a healthy raw vegan diet would make you more loving and nice e.t.c.
Just saying.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: November 08, 2008 11:29PM

wendy,

you've got some challenges and it will take time but you are on the right path.

try and trust your bodily signals and do the best you can.

does fruit solve your sugar cravings, or by sugar do you mean cookies and ice cream and such?

>I'm just still so new I wish I knew a "right" way to eat raw.

many raw diets work to different degrees.

but as for an ideal target diet, you do know the right way, you just forgot.

what about this...

is fresh food better than not fresh ?

that rules out dried food, frozen food, heated food, powdered foods, nuts/seeds

is food you can make a meal of better than not?

rules out stimulants, spices, very bitter foods, nuts/seeds

is whole better than not whole

that rules out powders, juiced foods, recipes

what are you left with?
raw fresh fruits and vegetables.

can you sustain yourself on mostly vegetables and a little fruit?
probably not.

so we are left with raw fresh fruits and veggies, with fruits in the majority.
you will find that high fat does not work, for various reasons.

that is 811.

it doesn't require a book, or a belief system, or proof, or dr graham.

it's simple deductive logic.

does that mean you can never have those non-ideal items above?
no.

does that mean there are no problems with getting quality food?
no - but it is fun trying.

it does mean that your body will heal best and thrive best when eating mostly fruits and veggies, the bulk being fruit, imo.

whatever speed works for you is the right speed.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: November 09, 2008 05:34AM

wendy, check out stopthethyroidmadness.com and see if this fits. These guys have a very helpful yahoo group as well, adn they are very knowledgeable about thyroid as well as adrenal issues. you will find the link for the yahoo group also on the stop.... website.

[www.stopthethyroidmadness.com]

Date: November 09, 2008 05:43AM

paulieGB Wrote:
> No one has said how great he looks.
> I thought a healthy raw vegan diet would make you
> more loving and nice e.t.c.
> Just saying.

That myth sure gets scattered quickly.

Posted by: annex ()
Date: November 09, 2008 05:54AM

The trouble I have with following 80 10 10 is that you have to eat so much. Doug Graham says that we have to get used to our stomachs expanding, but mine seems to be a permanently extended state. Does anyone else get like this?

Date: November 09, 2008 06:56AM

annex Wrote:
> The trouble I have with following 80 10 10 is that
> you have to eat so much. Doug Graham says that we
> have to get used to our stomachs expanding, but
> mine seems to be a permanently extended state.
> Does anyone else get like this?

Yeah.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: November 09, 2008 07:37AM

I think Doug Graham looks healthier than most people aged 58, it is not exactly fair to compare him with someone in their 30s. He is incredibly fit which shows the amount of energy he has on the diet he recommends.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: November 09, 2008 12:02PM

annex Wrote:
> The trouble I have with following 80 10 10 is that
> you have to eat so much. Doug Graham says that we
> have to get used to our stomachs expanding, but
> mine seems to be a permanently extended state.
> Does anyone else get like this?

you don't need to eat any more than you're comfortable with.

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables