Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

spelt - good source of zinc
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 07, 2012 07:01PM

I was just googling for good zinc and I noticed that spelt came up even higher than sesame seeds... interesting.. I'm pretty sure I've managed to sprout spelt grains in the past, I'll have to try again! Anyone got any good recipes..? smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spelt - good source of zinc
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 07, 2012 07:15PM

how much zinc does it have? we need 10 to 15 mg per day. That would be great news as a I hate pumpkin seeds.

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 07, 2012 08:54PM

Hm... I'm not so fond of raw pumpkin seeds myself. I can get spelt, guess it might work for sprouted dehydrated bread.

Date: March 07, 2012 10:47PM

Paul, one site I saw said there was 5.71mg of zinc (or 38% RDA) in 1 cup of uncooked zinc. Not sure how sprouting would affect that though?

Coco, yeah it probably would work fine for bread, it's got quite a strong flavour though.

Looks like quinoa is a good source too. That's easy enough, it sprouts like wildfire, tastes a bit boring though, I usually add it to sprouted hemp or nuts to make mylk with.

I used to use olive oil on my skin as a body oil after showers etc (I add a few drops of essential oils to make it smell nice) but lately I've switched to using sesame oil as I figured I probably absorb some nutrients through the skin, so I might pick up a bit of zinc that way too.

Date: March 09, 2012 12:15AM

update - I just sprouted some, they taste really nice, just after one day of sprouting! for some reason I seemed to remember them tasting pretty bad, maybe I just left them for too long. yay, I can just add them to salads smiling smiley

Posted by: Simple Green ()
Date: March 09, 2012 05:39PM

I don't like raw pumpkin seeds either, but i love them blended into my green smoothie..i almost can't drink one now without the pumpkin..my usual is apple, kale, 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds and sometimes flax oil..mmm

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 09, 2012 07:47PM

The problem with small seed sprouting like quinoa is that some of the seeds do not sprout and they do not grow tall enough to separate them so you end up eating or blending unsprouted and indigestible seeds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables