Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coconut Water in a can and Thai coconuts dipped in cancer preservatives?????
Posted by: benetgirl ()
Date: March 11, 2012 09:59PM

Is coconut water in a can RAW???? My friend asked me if it was safe to drink as part of a raw food diet. I told her that it is def pasteurized..... and am not sure how good it is....

FYI-there are no fresh coconuts around us!

Also I read somewhere that:

"Most young coconuts are the trimmed/thai/pointy ones which are dipped in cancer causing preservatives which penetrate through to the water. I can tell you raw coconut water with cancer causing chemicals is far worst than pasteurized without cancer causing chemicals."

What is the deal on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coconut Water in a can and Thai coconuts dipped in cancer preservatives?????
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 11, 2012 10:20PM

It is true that the young Thai coconuts are dipped in fungicide, and that some of the fungicide may seep through to the coconut water. I still enjoy young cocos from time to time, and they seem to be fine for me. If one tastes funny though, I won't eat it.

Re: Coconut Water in a can and Thai coconuts dipped in cancer preservatives?????
Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 11, 2012 10:44PM

From everything I've heard, canned coconut water is devoid of nutrients and definitely not raw. Both are a result of processing at high temperatures.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2012 10:59PM

I've read that if you soak a young cocount in coloured water you will find the colour has seeped into the water inside the nut, this makes me hesitate to consume young coconut on even a semi-regular basis. I don't want to ingest fungicides, that sounds unyum.

Anything canned is pasteurized, sadly.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 11, 2012 11:54PM

benetgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is coconut water in a can RAW???? My friend asked
> me if it was safe to drink as part of a raw food
> diet. I told her that it is def pasteurized.....
> and am not sure how good it is....
>
>
> FYI-there are no fresh coconuts around us!
>
> Also I read somewhere that:
>
> "Most young coconuts are the trimmed/thai/pointy
> ones which are dipped in cancer causing
> preservatives which penetrate through to the
> water. I can tell you raw coconut water with
> cancer causing chemicals is far worst than
> pasteurized without cancer causing chemicals."
>
> What is the deal on this?

If it's in a CAN, then how can it be raw? No. Bottle or can, it's not raw unless it's in the fridge (and even then, check the label). Sometimes fresh juice is sold in stores but it would never be canned.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 12, 2012 06:20AM

I used to work at a place where I felt safer drinking the canned coconut water over the tap water, when nothing else was available. smiling smiley Make sure there's NOTHING but coconut water in the can if you must, though...

Pity there isn't any ORGANIC coconut water out there. Or... organic coconuts, for that matter. Sigh. sad smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 12, 2012 03:36PM

benetgirl,

Canned=not raw. Minerals can withstand heat processing pretty well, so there may still be bioavailable nutrients in that canned coconut water, but the Tetra Packed ones are less processed and taste more like fresh coconut water, IMO.

Date: March 12, 2012 03:43PM

Tam, are those tetra paks lined with BPA? I suspect that they are...

Date: March 12, 2012 03:47PM

coco,

Oh brother, I've never actually bothered to investigate.

To the Googlez, my chariot!

Date: March 12, 2012 03:52PM

coco,

Nope; lined with polyethylene, though. From 2009(most recent):

[www.greencradle.net]

The fourth paragraph is particularily disturbing.

I say this so often I'm thinking of legally changing my surname to it--

It's always something sad smiley

Date: March 12, 2012 04:03PM

Tam, I see it as the freedom to know what NOT to choose. Actually, I don't mind anymore. If it comes in a box, can, bottle or package, I don't want it. Easy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables