Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

can't chew anything - any ideas beyond green smoothies?
Posted by: rawplane ()
Date: March 16, 2012 11:45PM

Hello!

I am new to this forum. Thanks for reading my post. smiling smiley

I also posted this on another forum, so if you have read it elsewhere, I apologize for the redundancy.

So my dilemma is this: I got braces in November of '11, in February of this year went through the master cleanse & then decided to go back to raw (I had done it for some months in '10, lost 30# (done for health reasons & to get rid of eczema) and then started "cheating" which is very bad for me - I do better as all-or-nothing) which I have been doing mostly with green smoothies, however, when I got my braces, because I had a very bad overbite, the orthodontist put these things called "turbos" on the insides of my top two front teeth (look like fangs to me) which prevent me from biting off the brackets on my lower front teeth but which also prevent me from chewing because now my molars won't touch (talk about a run-on sentence!).

So. . . . I really want to stay raw this time because I feel so much better, i.e. feel 'lighter', and I need to kick my eczema (oh, last time I got it mostly gone just with my raw diet but went to an acupuncturist to kick it the rest of the way). I am not into making 'gourmet' recipes, even before I didn't like cooking. I don't like all the prep time that it takes (hours) to get a meal that goes down in 15-30 minutes.

I was wondering if any of you have ideas for soft or pureed raw foods or easy recipes. I might have to have these "turbos" on for another 8-10 months, braces for another 20 months. These seems like a tall order. Hope there is someone out there that can help. Thank you ever so much!!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can't chew anything - any ideas beyond green smoothies?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 17, 2012 01:33AM

Hi, rawplane!

Bummer about the braces, but look forward to the results, I say smiling smiley

As for raw foods that you can process with compromised jaws: obviously green smoothies and juices, and if you have a juicer that also homogenizes matter, mmaybe frozen fruit "soft serve" treats? Here's a recent thread where this was discussed:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Hope you get lots of helpful replies smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 18, 2012 03:50AM

Hi Rawplane, Tamukha has said it all. I'm sure that you will continue on your raw journey during and after the braces have been removed. Thank you for posting, as we all appreciate a new member to the raw vegan community. I wish you a fruitful future.

cheers, geo x

Posted by: rawplane ()
Date: March 19, 2012 03:00AM

Thanks for the replies & well wishes. Sometimes it's just nice to read encouraging words. smiling smiley I will check out the "soft serve" frozen treats. Sounds delish!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 19, 2012 06:47PM

apple sauce

also raw soups ( must be a bunch of recipes for that online)

hey good luck

umm also just wondering, does your orthodontist know that the turbo thing is such that you can't chew? can't the ortho person make it so that it doesn't inhibit chewing?

sounds kinda weird that they wouldn't take that into account
did they know that BEFORE putting that thing in?

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 19, 2012 10:50PM

Fruit smoothie popsicles. I wouldn't do this with green smoothies. Make a batch and throw it into ice-trays. Insert toothpicks and freeze. You could get your fat by adding nut butter or dipping the popsicles into nut butter.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:01AM

Energy soup! Made some this evening! It's usually a base of avocado and water, some slightly sweet fruit like apple (I put a little piece of mango instead), and assorted veggies (tomato is technically a fruit, like cukes, but you get the drill). Sweet pepper, garlic, celery, lettuce, cilantro...That's what I used.smiling smiley

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 20, 2012 01:30AM

That sounds so good.

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Energy soup! Made some this evening! It's usually
> a base of avocado and water, some slightly sweet
> fruit like apple (I put a little piece of mango
> instead), and assorted veggies (tomato is
> technically a fruit, like cukes, but you get the
> drill). Sweet pepper, garlic, celery, lettuce,
> cilantro...That's what I used.smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 20, 2012 01:42AM

It was. I put in just a touch of mango. I was a bit reluctant to add more because I LOVE mangos. It seems like the only ones these days that are decently ripe are those Manila ones. In any case, it turned it a neat curry color.

I chopped up a tomato and some green onions and put them into it after I had blended everything together. I just wanted some texture, you know? I can't wait to get home and have the rest. Another thing you can add is dulse or other seaweed. I've done that before. Forgot to mention that I added lemon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 01:43AM by banana who.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables