Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Monsanto's Roundup Ravaging Butterfly Populations and People
Posted by: brome ()
Date: March 22, 2012 04:18PM

Although the butterfly population may be suffering, humans are taking heat from Monsanto’s creations as well. Past research has shown that Monsanto’s Roundup ready crops are leading to mental illness and obesity, primarily by destroying the amount of good bacteria found in the gut. The corporation’s Roundup, containing glyphosate, has also been shown to cause infertility and birth defects.

Glyphosate is so present today that it has been found to be polluting the world’s drinking water through the widespread contamination of aquifers, wells, and springs. What may be most shocking is that very high concentrations of glyphosate have been found in 100 percent of urine samples tested in a recent study.

[truth-out.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Monsanto's Roundup Ravaging Butterfly Populations and People
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2012 05:03PM

When I was a child this area enjoyed an enormous amount of Monarch butterflies during their migration season. We find cocoons along the roadways and in ditches all the time and respectfully observe them. No so now, it's rare to see more than a couple Monarchs all year. Breaks my heart.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 22, 2012 06:21PM

Do not understand why Roundup is legal. Do not understand. It is so clearly dangerous. An American Bopal can't be far behind unless we do something.

I wish to replace my lawn this year, so I started getting quotes last year. Even the eco-friendly lawn company rep advised bombing the old lawn with Roundup becuase it would effectively kill all the grass and weeds in a couple of days, and then dissipate. I asked, "What happens to the earthworms and microbes?" The lawncare rep was like, "Well, earthworms tunnel down to get away from it; it doesn't saturate below a few inches. But the microbes and useful insects will have be replaced because they are vulnerable to Roundup." I was like, "I really don't like the thought of that and I'm not gonna do it." Unfortunately, the common alternative is roto-tilling, and that for sure kills earthworms.

What the frack are we supposed to do, you know?

Date: March 22, 2012 08:39PM

The permaculture solution is to lay down sheets of corrugated cardboard covered by mulch for a season, when it's lifted up in spring the ground should be dirt ready to plant with food stuffs. Look up sheet mulching.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: March 22, 2012 09:00PM

If you can get alot of mulch you won't need cardboard. Get a truck load of mulch from the city or a tree trimming service and lay down 4" (10 cm) or more of mulch. You should be able to get it for free. Plant into native plants or food crops leaving the mulch in place. A friend did this and it worked great.

Date: March 22, 2012 09:13PM

I saw a great no-dig potato youtube the other day using hay beds. Works for a lot of foods, hugelkulture is amazing too. Lots of info on this sort of lawn conversion on permies.com (great links, videos, lots of interviews, articles, personal experience).

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 23, 2012 12:01AM

Thanks, guys! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables