Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Books that you would recommend to a friend on raw veganism
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 19, 2012 01:25PM

Imagine that you and a friend are having lunch and the topic shifts to your diet. Your friend is interested in learning more and possibly experimenting with a raw vegan diet. She asks you to recommend say two books that would help her learn more about raw veganism and conducting her trial period. What two books would you recommend and why?

For me, I would recommend a primer book (one that lays out why and how) and a recipe book to give her some place to get started.

My primer book would Becoming Raw written in 2010 by Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis, two raw vegan RDs. So far, it's the best primer I have found on the subject. It covers controversies and concerns, how to implement a raw vegan diet, the history of raw veganism and all nutritional concerns. I have quoted from it more than any other book on veganism I own.

The recipe book is a little harder. But I really Going Raw by Judita Wignall. There are better recipe books for experienced raw veganists. But for a newbie, I like Judita's use of color, simple recipes and plain english writing.

So tell me, what 2 books would you recommend and why?

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 01:26PM by pborst.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Books that you would recommend to a friend on raw veganism
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2012 01:54PM

Vitoria Boutenko's latest edition of 12 Steps To Raw. It's written in the most incredibly supportive and gentle language and she talks about her former militant stance that even 1% cooked food ruins the 99% raw (she no longer thinks that).
Russels James's e-book for recipes because they are GORGEOUS! Fairly gourmet but who cares, for food this wonderful I'll slave in the kitchen. Everybody needs at least some dishes to impress friends and relatives with. I like his attitude and all the free stuff he posts online too.
For simpler recipes I like Jennifer Cornbleet, her youtube videos, DVD's or her book are all great, she uses around 5 ingredients in each dish with minimal prep.
I know that's 3 suggestions but some people like to do food prep and others don't so there's a complicated and a simple suggestion to choose from.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: March 20, 2012 02:52PM

Hi Paul

I always recomend to people "the Detox Miracle Sourcebook" by Robert Morse, because I truely think it is one of the best books ever written on health. Also it explains detoxification really well, which few people really understand, it would seem but many of us encounter when going raw.

Also I would recommend The China Study, although its not a raw book, it would provide some real convincing scientific reasons to eat a plant based diet. It would give anyone some real outlook on how they can avoid degenerative disease in the future.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:07PM

Hey, Paul,

I, too, would recommend Victoria Boutenko's 12 Steps to Raw. The Davis and Melina book I haven't read, but for a primer, I understand that the exhaustive citations make it the most useful book for those who want concrete science info. For recipes, Jennifer Cornbleet's book is good, but I also like Jeremy Safron's The Raw Truth because of his succinct decriptions of fruits and veg commonly eaten on this diet, their varieties and flavor profiles. For someone not into produce--as many SADers who stumble onto this lifestyle are--it would be very helpful.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:42PM

What books to recommend? I would 'Cut to the Chase' and suggest "Quantum Eating" by Tonta Zavasta.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 20, 2012 08:01PM

hmmm.... excellent... looks like this thread is a slow burner... just like I like it.

I own Quantum and Raw Truth. I don't own 12 step or anything with 12 step in the title as I'm not religious and that is what the term connotes to me ... along with co-dependence. But perhaps not having read Victoria's 12 steps... maybe it ain't the AA version. smiling smiley Still, I appreciate the feedback so far. What I would like to do with those of you who have participated is to have a Raw Food Sticky Reader's List of books. Prana, is that acceptable??? Do you have a few of your own?

If not, that's ok. Thread will still be here under a "books" query either way. I like to build stuff that lasts. unlike my lawn! sad smiley lol

God's speed (just an expression) to those achieving dynamic health! Best

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 08:02PM by pborst.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 22, 2012 08:59PM

Has anyone read Jennifer Cornbleet's Raw food made easy?

Just looking for some recipe inspiration - don't need any info as I have the book which Paul mentioned - Becoming Raw. This is a fab book and I would recomend this to people too.

Posted by: EvolveWithFlavor ()
Date: March 23, 2012 03:03AM

If you're looking for a book that gets into the personal story of going Raw, you can't miss Chef Sal's book. He also has an e-mail list with a ton of free content on it.

[www.evolvewithflavor.com]

you will even learn about "Alkaline" Food too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables