Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do you recommend for bloating?
Posted by: veganrawdude ()
Date: March 26, 2012 08:22PM

I've had bloating issues all my life, most likely due to an overindulgence in junk foods, I guess.

Trying to get rid of the "distended" belly appearance.

I am working on kicking the junk foods, but I was wondering what else to do for the bloat. I have read to increase fiber & water intake.

I was also reading a website that talked about using Calcium Bentonite clay for this. Never thought of that.

Anything else from a raw/vegan food standpoint to eat or avoid?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you recommend for bloating?
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 26, 2012 08:49PM

Raw cabbage or raw cabbage juice, raw potato juice
[realfoodforager.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 26, 2012 09:24PM

Bitter herbs on the back of the tongue if the cause of bloating and increased fermentation is due to low stomach acid. At the very least you get a digestive aid and liver cleanse from the bitters.

Supporting your gut flora in most cases doesn't hurt, probiotics, fermented foods and prebiotic fibers.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 26, 2012 09:56PM

Fermented cabbage juice - sounds interesting.

I will give that a try, as I do enjoy fermented foods. Although the fermented foods (bread & butter pickles, dill pickles, etc.) that I eat are probably laden with preservatives or other stuff...?

I do purchase them from the health food store, but I don't know how "poison free" they are. I know nothing of Bitter herbs, I wouldn't have a clue where to start on that.

How about pre-made kombucha tea? They have that at the health food store, I like it. Wasn't there some sort of story on kombucha tea awhile ago where they changed the ingredients?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:17PM

Just FYI most pickles are not fermented, they are made with vinegar.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 26, 2012 10:49PM

If I was in your shoes, and I have been, I'd kick the junk food all the way and go 100% raw for a month at least and then come back on a whole foods diet with no gluten. Might want to eliminate dairy too depending on your tolerance level and what kind of dairy you use. Everything else is just a temporary fix until you "re-boot your life" (say it with an Aussie accent!).

Date: March 27, 2012 09:50AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just FYI most pickles are not fermented, they are
> made with vinegar.

Is this a bad thing? I have heard that vinegar is good for you.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: March 27, 2012 11:14AM

I suffered from bloating for many years. Its tough to live with both emotionally and physically.
These dietry changes helped me deal with bloating:

To start with, I did a juice feast for 2 weeks. That was amazing. It helped reboot my system and clear me out!

When i returned to solid food, the bloating returned. Someone on this site suggested mono eating. I did a week of juice feasting followed by a week of mono eating. That was brilliant.
I then learnt to eat simply. I keep fruit away from fats, as thats a real no no for me. I cant tolerate melon. I love it, but never seem to manage to get the ripeness quite right, so i leave it alone.

Hope this helps
FFx

Date: March 27, 2012 01:06PM

veganrawdude Wrote:
> coco Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just FYI most pickles are not fermented, they
> are
> > made with vinegar.
>
>
> Is this a bad thing? I have heard that vinegar is
> good for you.

Vinegar inhibits digestion. I can't actually think of a good healthy purpose for it in the diet. I use it for cleaning the house, maybe a splash of balsamic for taste now and then in salad and that's about it.
My point was, if you're eating pickles thinking that they have probiotics they don't. Not unless they are fermented. Pickling and fermenting are two completely different things.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 27, 2012 01:32PM

Depends on the type of vinegar, apple cider vinegar is actually a good digestive aid for those with low stomach acid due to its PH.

I prefer trying apple cider vinegar over betaine HCL if someone is looking to correct low stomach acid. Although i prefer bitters over all, just that in some cases you need the above also as there may be little or not stomach acid to stimulate. Replacing nutrients such as Zinc and Vitamin B6 which are acid dependant nutrients for absorbtion but needed for stomach acid production is also essential.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 27, 2012 02:04PM

One good reason to have acv in the diet is that it enhances flavor. Sliced local tomato with some olive oil, acv, chive, and maybe even some pepper and pink Himalayan salt sprinkled over it is delicious. It induces happiness. There's something to be said for enjoyment of food in the pursuit of health.

Any negatives are slight and should easily be overcome by a strong, healthy body. The digestive thing is yet another old-fashioned raw vegan canard of fear that ignores new science involving help with mineral absorption and the possibility that the slowing of starch digestion can be a good thing in relation to blood sugar levels.

coco Wrote:
> veganrawdude Wrote:
> -----
> > coco Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Just FYI most pickles are not fermented, they
> > are
> > > made with vinegar.
> >
> >
> > Is this a bad thing? I have heard that vinegar
> is
> > good for you.
>
>
> Vinegar inhibits digestion. I can't actually think
> of a good healthy purpose for it in the diet. I
> use it for cleaning the house, maybe a splash of
> balsamic for taste now and then in salad and
> that's about it.
> My point was, if you're eating pickles thinking
> that they have probiotics they don't. Not unless
> they are fermented. Pickling and fermenting are
> two completely different things.

Date: March 27, 2012 02:06PM

Sure, I'd rather use ACV than lemon as lemons have to fly from far far away to get to me and apples grow right here.
However, if one is eating pickles thinking that they're getting probiotics from them, they aren't. Vinegar pickles are not the same as ferments, it's a common misconception.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables