Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Low Body Temperature - Trouble Losing weight on Raw
Posted by: clank72 ()
Date: March 28, 2012 05:26PM

Hello everyone.

I recently started back on a raw food diet (on for 2 weeks now) after being off it for over a year. I'm feeling better but the weight is hard to get off. I've gained about 3 lbs since starting raw. I workout 5 days a week. Weight lifting and cardo. I'm 39 yrs 6"2 and about 218 lbs.

My body temperature is around 96ΒΊ in the morning (Arm pit test). I've always felt cold most of the time with Low energy and some fatigue.

Does anyone have any tips or information for raising body temperature? Because if not I will have to reduce my calorie intake even more which means reducing nuts, seeds and avocados and other happy foods making it painful, hungry and less satisfying.

I got my blood work done, waiting for the results in the mail. I will post them here. Should be any day now.

Any help would be great.

-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Low Body Temperature - Trouble Losing weight on Raw
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 28, 2012 05:29PM

It sounds like your thyroid is low Mark, although thyroid blood tests are notorious for being inaccurate they are still helpful as a guide. Have you had any recently done?

If it is your thyroid then it really depends on what is causing the lowered thyroid function. This can take abit of trial and error to figure out as there are many different causes such as nutrient deficiencies which are involved in thyroid hormone production(iodine, selenium, tyrosine etc), adrenal insufficiency, hormonal imbalances such as estrogen, liver dysfunction and so on.

Are you consuming large amounts of goitrogenic greens such as broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables as they mess with thyroid function by interfering with the thyroids ability to uptake the mineral iodine.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 05:42PM by powerlifer.

Date: March 28, 2012 05:55PM

Just checked it again after a while and it's 95.5

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 28, 2012 06:08PM

You might want to check out a blog called 180 Degree Health. Not vegan, but he talks a lot about basal temperature as a good indicator for metabolic rate and the need to pile in the food and fat in order to get that back up. His beliefs are very GI oriented with the main premise being that a slow metabolism leads one into the cycle of constipation/ diarrhea.

Date: March 28, 2012 06:11PM

Thanks for the reply.

Just checked it again after a while and it's 95.5

My diet consists of

Morning smoothie, Apples, Oranges, 1 Banana.
Noon, huge salad with tons of spring greens, peas, shredded carrots, 1 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsps of soaked nuts, 1 tbsp of rasins.\
I snack on fruits, apples, oranges with cinnamon.
"Dinner" is another salad.
Maybe another fruit salad after.

No Agava, sweeteners or soy products. 1 Gallon of water per day.

Regarding the blood tests... I did get my vitamin levels checked so I am waiting for those results too. But I never thought it could be a deficiency, interesting. I am willing to find out how to fix this. It has been EXTREMELY hard to lose weight. In some cases lowering my calories to 1300-1400 a day just to lose 2lbs a week. Sucks, I know. But i believe this problem is making me starve to lose weight and it must be addressed.

Mark

Date: March 28, 2012 06:12PM

Hi HeavenHands,

Thanks for that referral. I will check it out!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 28, 2012 06:15PM

My body temperature has always been slightly lower (97-98). Not sure how true this is, but I am a negative bloodtype, and not all, but lots of people with negative blood report the same thing. But that is normal (since childhood), and I don't have any other symptoms.

I would still check the thyroid and everything to make sure you are well. If you feel cold and tired, it seems like something else could be at work.

It will be helpful to have some insight from your test results.

Also, weight loss and gain on raw can be a bit wonky at times... it's like the body has its own schedule of doing things, so you can't expect to drop tons of weight immediately, if there are other internal things that may be more important to adjust, first. All you can do is make sure you're getting a dense nutritional variety, clean air and sunshine, and just have patience... it does all work out in the end. =)

Best wishes!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 29, 2012 02:15PM

clank,

Hiya! I wondered where you'd gone smiling smiley

Low body temp first thing in the morning can signify adrenal dysfunction, as well as thyroid problems. At the doctor's office they would do a leveraged blood pressure test; your blood pressure should be measured after you've lain down for at least five minutes, then immediately upon your getting to your feet; if the systolic number is lower upon standing than it was when you were lying down, this is a typical sign of underactive adrenal function(though not the only one). If you have a home blood pressure measuring device, you can test this yourself, but be cautious and do it over several days, and confirm your results with your doctor.

Luckily, a high produce diet with sufficient fats in it seems to be recommended for many hormone problems. Consider also that your body temperature may be decreasing for reasons that aren't dire: If you have plenty of energy and manage stress well and don't have other symptoms of disorder, it is something to simply be aware of and to let your doctor know about. Hope the bloodwork comes back showing you are in great health!

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: April 03, 2012 01:36AM

IMO more sugar to amp your metabolism.....and if you are wanting to lose weight, then go to nearly ZERO fat. (a tsp of hemp seeds every other day is ok,and an occasional half avocado.) The thing is this about weight loss. if we eat sugar, we release insulin into the blood stream......for the couple hours the insulin is in the blood stream we don't metabolize fats......so if you eat a bag of nuts for instance and a couple bananas.....this will prevent ANY weight loss that day. in fact it will help you maintain and possibly gain weight.
so remember, that handful of nuts will stop detox and weightloss for the day. eat giant bowls of fruit salad instead, fat free style.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 03, 2012 10:17AM

RAWLION Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so remember, that handful of nuts will stop detox
> and weightloss for the day. eat giant bowls of
> fruit salad instead, fat free style.

I agree with the statment. The lower the fat intake the higher the fat used by the body to produce energy. Yet, I eat like about half a cup of different nuts every night and I am loosing weight (mostly fat) very fast but I do work out.

Date: April 03, 2012 10:36AM

I can't agree with that at all and is there any basis for such a statement. One serving of nuts will bring the detoxification process to a standstill ?. Those who eat nut rich diets such as in the Mediterranean would be dead if such a case. Nuts and fat seem to get an awful lot of unsubstantiated bad press. Infact nuts are a good source of many minerals such as magnesium and zinc which are heavily involved in the detoxification process so i can't see any logical reason why a serving of nuts would impede or stop detoxification ?.

You can easily lose weight whilst consuming nuts, it largely comes down to calories in vs calories expended pending you don't have any condition going on that effects metabolism such as thyroid disorders. A serving of nuts if within your caloric limits is not going to impede weight loss in anyway, infact it can help give a feeling of satiety, which often stops you binging on less desirable foods.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 10:43AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 06, 2012 03:42AM

the calories seem really low?

Date: April 07, 2012 03:35PM

I've proven this with my own body and everyone who ever talks about how they are having trouble losing weight on raw food. Not everyone can moderate their intake of nuts. one handful can turn into 3 or 4 easily. Detoxification is greatly reduced when fat is lose in our blood with sugar present. Our body is not getting rid of our toxins when it is packing the fat into our body. Yes, if you are exercising a lot, you might not have issues eating some nuts....but if you are wanting to detox not eating nuts will promote this hands down. When we eat sugar, we release insulin. If we have fat loose in our blood with the insulin, we won't metabolize the fat we will store it or pass it. Everyone is different, and these methods are proven in general. Anyone who wants to lose weight and detox will benefit from temporarily remving nuts and heavy oils from their diet. I recommend mild amounts of hemp seeds, flax seeds, and those same oils. Maybe a tsp a day. I can attest to this working........You can doubt me, but I have proven t

Date: April 07, 2012 03:59PM

I have to disagree im afraid these methods are not proven in general. I have yet to come across any evidence that consuming fat will halt the detoxification process in the body, it sounds like more pseudo-science from the pro low fat community sorry.

Again i have never came across any information that suggests the different pathways of detoxification are stopped due to consuming carbohydrates and fat at the same time, but i am open to links if you have any ?.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: April 07, 2012 04:03PM

I forgot to say carbohydrates i.e sugar/glucose are not the only macronutrient to stimulate the release of insulin, amino acids i.e protein and fatty acids i.e fat also do.

Also the cell uptake of fatty acids is stimulated from insulin release. Also i wasn't doubting that lowering fats could result in weight loss for some, but if the individual is healthy it largely comes down to calories in vs calories expended. Fats are the densest macronutrient at 9 calories per gram, so individuals who do temporarily reduce their fat intake, also lower their overall total calories and thus lose weight. The same happens in those who temporarily shift to the atkins diet, they lower their total caloric intake by dropping carbs and lose weight.

The notion that consuming fats stops the body detoxing seems strange to me especially when various fatty acids are involved in the detoxification process.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 04:12PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: April 07, 2012 05:19PM

The low-fat paradigm is the absolute low-point in health industry falsehoods. What's interesting (and sad) is that the alt-health community walks hand in hand with mainstream health in disseminating the lie. After years of low-fat high raw veganism and more cardio exercise than any human being should ever be expected to do, I weighed 185 lbs. and it was not muscle. After about 1/2 a year of higher fat consumption and walks, yoga, and weightlifting, I weigh 160 lbs. and am significantly stronger and more muscular than I've ever been. How do you explain that? Durianrider can post all the pics of obese people eating hamburgers that he wants, anyone with a grain of reality-based critical thinking skills can see that it's not the hamburger causing them to be fat. It's the bun, the fries, the refined salt and sugar, and the copious amounts of other processed foods that they're consuming.

Low-fat eventually catches up to everyone. If they don't get flabby or end up with their teeth falling out, they develop something even worse, psychological issues. Don't believe me? Yeah well, stick around for a while. Spend some time at 30BAD, enough that you can see how many "I'm having problems" threads come up before they get censored. Notice how at this point the only people buying into it are probably too young to know any better and who because of their youth would probably look great anyway. That little cutie Jolita Brilliant just did an interview with RawBrah #1 where he says that his current diet includes animal products, coffee, chocolate, and alcohol. The guy looks great. Why? Because he's consumes fat, eats sensibly, exercises, has good genes, a positive attitude, and he's young.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 07, 2012 06:53PM

mark,

diet looks pretty good.

base your food intake upon your hunger. don't restrict.
base your water intake upon your thirst
(i don't know why you would need to drink a gallon of water)

when weight loss is the goal, frustration often results
when health is the goal, joy is the result.

Date: April 08, 2012 03:48PM

heavenhands, this is a raw forum. You didn't lose weight at first due to the fact that you weren't really fully raw. scientifically you can't compare results of yourself to others because cooked food will also prevent weightloss. please don't promote animal products in the sanctuary of this website devoted to raw vegan food. if you want to eat coffee, meat, and get drunk.......this isn't the forum to discuss this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables