Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The war on water
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 20, 2012 05:51AM

Today, the city dumped gravel down the artisan spring I visit to collect water and paved it over with concrete.

According to the city, this is not a violation of human rights because I am provided "clean" water via tap.

I have anger inexpressible in the third dimension.

The mayor claimed to know nothing about it. "Oh, we got a memo a few months back... You mean they actually did that?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The war on water
Posted by: brome ()
Date: March 20, 2012 06:51AM

Artesian spring, even the word suggests something extraordinarily especial.

When I was living in the redwood forest in Humboldt County California I'd hike 1/2 mile thru beautiful forest every day to collect 2 gallons of really special water from an artesian spring. Beautiful rare plants grew there, orchids and lilies.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 06:54AM by brome.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 20, 2012 09:32AM

But WHY would they do that - I don't understand. I am convinced that would not happen in the UK unless it was causing a real problem in some way.

I'm so sorry to hear about this.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:57PM

Oh. M. G.

I am so sorry. What a ridiculous thing to do, what a tragedy.

Please would you PM the location to me? I have many activist friends in BC with a particular interest in spring water locations.
I just can't even believe that. >sad smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 20, 2012 02:47PM

Man, that sucks. What reason did they give? That the mayor didn't know about the specifics of the proposal, and didn't think it was serious, has contractor graft written all over it. sad smiley

Date: March 20, 2012 11:12PM

Some people cross train tracks to get into the park, but there are TONS AND TONS of other entrances that DO NOT require crossing tracks. A fence would have sufficed. Hundreds of people cross tracks to get to the beaches and nobody has gone and poured cement all over the beaches.

The city also said it wasn't obstructing anyone's rights to clean water, because, according to HEALTH CANADA, tap water is safe.

They have to open it again... it's insane. I feel the biggest sense of loss. And not like natural death loss, murder loss.

Date: March 20, 2012 11:16PM

Murder loss, no joke. That sums it up exactly. Meanless, thoughtless destructive, nonsensical ridiculousness.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: March 21, 2012 12:59AM

Horrible. I have no words to express what I feel when I read news like this.

Here is something that could help, if you believe that distilled water can replace the natural spring water. In some ways, it may be even better. Fruit has naturally distilled water.

[www.i4at.org]

Date: March 21, 2012 01:01AM

*meaningless
too mad to type straight.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 21, 2012 02:23AM

That's pretty awful. Sorry to hear it.

Date: March 21, 2012 03:37AM

Well, yesterday morning my boyfriend caught them in the act, in the process of graveling and cementing boulders into everything. We went back just now to assess the damage...

There were three springs...

...and we discovered all three, in 24 hours, were broken open again by other humans who went to collect my water. This does restore my faith in humanity.

The WORST part about all of this is, the springs are also right along a stream which is a MAJOR salmon spawning point. There are signs posted everywhere, forbidding people to even let their dogs walk in the sand because it's such a critical place for the salmon.

And what did the city do? DUMP ROCKS AND GRAVEL ALL OVER THE SALMON SPAWN POINT! The way they tried to obstruct the first spring literally SHIFTED THE COURSE OF THE SPRING. O.O

So, yeah, the city and the papers are going to get an earful.

My bf and I are also going to post signs telling people who come for water to park at the other entrance, and DO NOT CROSS THE TRACKS, because it could provoke the city into doing something far worse. Especially because some people who may have come for water last week, won't come again until later, and will just be confused by the gravel everywhere, not knowing the city tried to shut it all down.

I would settle for a fence. I just hope they leave the water alone. I also hope the salmon are okay. =(

Date: April 14, 2012 10:45PM

The city bolted and cemented more rocks over the spring. I urge anyone in BC or with some extra positivity to go around to check out this Facebook group, there are some petitions, etc...

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 14, 2012 11:35PM

I feel for ya.
I never drink my tap here.

Vinny

Date: April 15, 2012 04:50AM

It's that sort of ignorance that's discouraging yawning smiley The link about psychopaths that John Rose added is quite interesting.

Posted by: Ivi rose ()
Date: April 15, 2012 05:53AM

That is so sad.

Posted by: nrothgarden ()
Date: April 15, 2012 08:33AM

You should really speak up about this in your community. Have you considering bringing the issue up at a town meeting or something similar? Just making a call might not be enough. You could organize others from your community as well.

Check out my raw food review blog at rawfoodland.com!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 15, 2012 02:35PM

passed this along to all my friends list Phantom ... wtf is wrong with people seriously

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 15, 2012 03:06PM

wtf is wrong with people seriously

That should be embroidered on pillows and left on civic center lobby sofas everywhere! Somebody at Etsy get on this, stat!

Date: April 15, 2012 04:03PM

And by "people" we of course mean the new definition of that, the one that includes corporations. tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables