Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Detox blues
Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: April 11, 2012 11:28AM

So, I remember why i never get past the 6 months high raw stage!
Because i feel so ill!

All the rubbish is coming out, I have a head like a puff ball, blocked eustachians, low enery and no signs of improvement. Im still eating wheat free pasta or brown rice with my evening meal. I also have a few steamed veggies some times as I transition. The rest of my food is raw.

This is the point where i usually give in, start eating more cooked and the symptoms dissapear. its easy to stay raw when you feel good, but this is the real challenge!

(Im not looking for sympathy here by the way. Just documenting my journey to people who hopefully understand!)

I just dont know how long this will last and how to get past it. This process obviously needs to happen but its really hard to deal with alongside work and study deadlines.

The 'little devil' on the shoulder is shouting so loud at the moment 'to eat less raw, slow the detox, do it some other time etc, but I have been here before!

Also, when feeling low, the temptaion to stuff in the rubbish is at its highest!

However, with knowledge comes responsibility, so im hanging in here for now!
I ask, what is the best thing that i can do for myself today? I know the answer is to stay on this healing path and its a challenge!
FFx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Detox blues
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 11, 2012 12:15PM

The Fruit Faery,

I am sorry you are going through this. I would just be mindful--as you already seem to be--of negative signals you are giving yourself that may thwart your progress. No time is the "ideal" right time to reach your goal if extrinsic things like school and work are accounted for. There will always be something going on in one's life that requires energy and that can be used as an excuse to not do what one sets out to do[I am addressing meself here as much as you!]. At every moment that you have a doubt, recognize it actively and think about the long term consequences of giving in to the doubt before deciding one way or the other. And don't be hard on yourself--the reason you want to go raw is to be kind to yourself, and focusing on being disappointed with yourself or on the sense that you are "failing" is counter productive smiling smiley

Date: April 11, 2012 04:34PM

Cheers Tamukha
Im having a tough time, but these things are not achieved easily!
It took me years to clog up! im just a bit impatient!

Im doing really well. I havnt given in, just feeling a bit fed up ,overloaded etc.

This is always my 'sticking' point. I have not managed to move beyond it on previous occasions.
Its like wading through treacle!

Im determined to keep going. I just would like to see a little glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!

My usually supportive family are now very concerned. That does not help

They are asking a very sensible question:

Do you know for certain that this is detox, or is your current diet creating these symptoms?
Fair point, it has to be said.

Maybe they have been taking a sneaky peek at Byron Katie!

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 11, 2012 04:52PM

I haven't been 6 months yet but I don't feel the detox symptoms other people talk about. I've felt weak during my initiation 5 day fats and learned how being low in calories feel. I've also felt cold hands but that was due to not eating enough. Other than that, sometimes I've encounter reactions to energy demanding thoughts, which may sink you down if they take you along.

If you feel weak and you do have a blender, then try doing power boosting smoothies of 12 bananas each smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 11, 2012 05:03PM

You can doooo iitttttttt!!!!! grinning smiley

Power smoothies are always an excellent pickup (I like to add some berries and dates, and a bit of avocado with my bananas, though).

Every time you go further with raw, the cleansing is cumulative, so be patient, do what you can, and never beat yourself up, because every time you make a good decision, it builds a better, stronger, healthier foundation. Sometimes it helps me to remember all the good I am doing for myself... >8)

Date: April 13, 2012 12:52PM

Hi Panchito
I always feel great to start with then i hit this wall! im determined to get through it and it hard to do. thanks for your power booster idea

Phantom
I know I can!!!!!! thanks for your encouragement.

I have been here many times and given up at this stage.

I slowly regress back to cooked and I feel better temporarily, because my ears unblock and the sticky mucus goes back into wherever it hides.

Then i miss the initial energy levels, the inner peace, feeling more connected, increased flexibility, clear thinking etc and i go back to raw and the cycle begins again!

I have to let go of this phlegm and mucus to move through to the next stage of healing, so i may aswell do it now.

There must be others stuck in a similar cycle, or maybe im just persistant or need to repeat the lesson several times till I get it! Ha!

I have learnt that i deal much better with emotional stuff than pyhsical discomfort.

Im very impatient with the physical aspect of detox. It does not move quickly enough for me!

FFX

Posted by: nrothgarden ()
Date: April 15, 2012 08:44AM

You have to remember that this yucky feeling is only temporary. On the other side is success. Do you want to succeed or fail? Maybe if you look at it like that it can give you the motivation you need. Try more power smoothies like others have suggested and eat more raw snacks to keep your mind off of it.

Check out my raw food review blog at rawfoodland.com!

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: April 15, 2012 02:35PM

HI ! the cooked food at night is slowing your detox down! If you were to remove it, it would actually make it easier on yourself in the end. You would detox faster, and get the energy you deserve quicker! it may take so long while still eating cooked food you might not make it. if you get right to detoxing, its just that much sooner you are home free!!

yes, its just detoxing you are feeling!

we are all loaded with acidic waste!!!!! set yourself free by going 100%

it took me a LOOONG time of detoxing before I was just pure energy. but now I can take big ol shots of wheatgrass and get pure energy, not sick from detox symptoms. you got this !!!

Date: April 15, 2012 09:54PM

Hi RAWLION
I got that, loud and clear!

Its time to let go and get on with it. I have reached a place where Im actually okay with that.
Thanks for your support. I have huge respect for what you have achieved.

FFX

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 16, 2012 09:16AM

Hi
Make sure you eat enough calories and get the whole range of nutrients - it's very easy to not eat enough or try to live on bananas and then say - oh it's detox when you - amazingly!!!! - don't feel very well.

As you have so much mucus etc I wonder if you have completely given up dairy - apologies if you are vegan but it just came into my mind as I read your post.

Good luck with it all

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 16, 2012 12:23PM

Grains can be related to mucus as well. Also foods to which the body has a sensitivity.
This lack of all essential nutrients is why we take a green food powder with probiotics in our smoothies, also why we use hemp and/or chia seeds in same. I take some whole food supplements as well, I simply do not have the appetite for 10 bananas or 3 heads of kale in one day.
I have never experienced even the slightest identifiable syptoms of detox though, not even when I switched to a 100% raw vegan diet overnight, neither through my 2 or so years of 100% raw vegan. I suspect that a lot of what people consider detox is something else but, again, I did not experience the classic symptoms myself.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 17, 2012 12:54AM

Grains are acid-forming in the body, hence mucus-forming so I believe.

Date: April 17, 2012 07:31AM

I feel these symptoms are due to one of the following;

A virus, not likely as it always happens at this stage of eating a high raw diet.

Allergy/ Intollerance to the foods currently consumed;

I normally eat these foods when I eat cooked, but if my system is cleaner, then maybe the intolerance is now evident as the system is not as supressed

A cleansing of built up toxity in the body/detox;

I feel that this is the most likely. As I have been here several times before, its possible to recognise a pattern.

Its also possible that its a combination of both intolerance (which may be mucus forming) and a cleansing process.

Whatever it is, its still happening and Im determined to work through it this time

Posted by: gems ()
Date: April 24, 2012 06:01PM

GO FRUIT FAERY YOU CAN DO IT! smiling smiley XXXXXXXX

Date: April 24, 2012 09:43PM

Hey thanks gems!
Never reached this stage before, so breaking new ground. I went to a herbalist today. She prescribed some tincture to help clear the eustachians. It will be amazing to get past this stage.
FFx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables