Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question about hair loss and kidney stones
Posted by: Thisguy ()
Date: May 06, 2012 11:09PM

Hey guys, first time poster. Lemme start off by saying that I do not intend to go fully raw. Or vegan. Or even vegetarian for that matter. I am however looking to up my veggie and fruit intake by going the green smoothie route every morning. The price of the vitamix is a bit daunting, but all I hear is that it's worth it.

My question is this. I've read about people experiencing hair loss when going raw. From detoxing I guess (you tell me)? Have any of you ever experienced this? Could this happen to someone like myself who still would be eating meat and the such, but drinks a green smoothie every day?

My other question is about kidney stones. I've read that certain leafy greens (kale, spinach) are high in oxalates which can in turn cause stones for some people. Have any of you ever experienced this as well? My dad had a couple in his life which makes me think maybe I'm prone to them. And I gotta say, I don't want one.

I know these may come off as both vain and/or silly questions, but they're of legitimate concern to me. Thanks for reading.

(Lol at me being afraid of vegetables)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about hair loss and kidney stones
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:16AM

Hi, Thisguy,

After a year of LOVING being almost 100% raw because it made me feel great and cured my acid reflux symptoms, I began to experience hair thinning/loss. Although not especially vain, I am female and I panicked. I reintroduced a small amount of cooked foods back into my diet and the hair loss stopped immediately. Unfortunately, the thinned area hasn't regrown.

I'm still an advocate of high raw, but for me 100% raw doesn't work. (Yes, I tried to eat a good variety of raw foods when I ate close to 100% raw. And although in time I may have been able to find what raw food I was missing, time to experiment is what I didn't have.) Anyway, I am happy now eating a high raw, but not 100% raw diet.

I've never had kidney stones and don't worry about them. Hmmm... should I?

My favorite raw vegan

Re: Question about hair loss and kidney stones
Posted by: Thisguy ()
Date: May 07, 2012 05:50AM

Trive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, Thisguy,
>
> After a year of LOVING being almost 100% raw
> because it made me feel great and cured my acid
> reflux symptoms, I began to experience hair
> thinning/loss. Although not especially vain, I am
> female and I panicked. I reintroduced a small
> amount of cooked foods back into my diet and the
> hair loss stopped immediately. Unfortunately, the
> thinned area hasn't regrown.
>
> I'm still an advocate of high raw, but for me 100%
> raw doesn't work. (Yes, I tried to eat a good
> variety of raw foods when I ate close to 100% raw.
> And although in time I may have been able to find
> what raw food I was missing, time to experiment is
> what I didn't have.) Anyway, I am happy now
> eating a high raw, but not 100% raw diet.
>
> I've never had kidney stones and don't worry about
> them. Hmmm... should I?

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear about that happening to you. That's what I'm talking about. But it sounds as if you really have to go 100% raw and start missing out on some things for this to occur I guess? If I'm not even a vegetarian, this probably wouldn't happen right? Well I hope your area grows back how you would like it to. Oh and the kidney stone issue; I dunno if you should be worried. That was my question haha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables