Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Name Change
Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: April 29, 2012 12:33AM

Hi Prana, Flipperjan, Coco and thx for your comments. Wanted to change my user name, as I've pretty much changed over all my 'geo' apps to 'jalanutan', and the only way I could do it is to delete my account and open another under the new name. I joined two Indonesian words to mean 'walk in the forest'. Jalan means 'walk', and utan means forest, jungle etc. Orang-utan (the ape) means man of the forest, as 'orang' means people, person etc.

The word may not be official Indonesian language, but I like it, and to me, it depicts the natural state of every wild animal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Name Change
Posted by: ivac ()
Date: April 29, 2012 11:17AM

Nice ring to it...

Now would that be pronounced Jala-NU-tan (like Fig Newton) or JALA-nu-tan or Jala-nu-TAN ?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 29, 2012 03:37PM

Cool - so glad you haven't gone. xx

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 29, 2012 07:06PM

Yeah, how is that pronounced? grinning smiley

Date: April 29, 2012 11:12PM

Thx guys, and it's pronounced this way...sounds like...julun-ootun, hence jalan-utan...jalanutan (try to say it without pronouncing the last bit ie 'utan'.

Date: April 29, 2012 11:16PM

Oh sorry, without emphasising the last bit haha smiling smiley

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 29, 2012 11:49PM

Its great to have you back jalanutan!

Date: May 07, 2012 07:07AM

I guess this is a little off topic for this forum, but it is, sort of to do with dietry change, cause since I've seriously changed my eating habits, my whole outlook has also changed as a consequence. Including a desire to change my name to one that more suits my new outlook.

So I was wondering, what do you think of say 'Jalan' as a proper first name??? Or even, 'Jalan Utan' as a first and sir name??? My current sir name is 'Wood', and I've been seriously thinking of changing both first and last name. I've never really liked my name, and for decades now, I've toyed with the idea of changing my first name when my parents had departed the scene. You see, the only reason why I've kept it for this long was out of respect for the people who gave it.

Since I've been changing my 'online' name to 'Jalanutan' (walk/walking in the forest), I've liked the shortened version 'Jalan'. So, my name would be, 'Jalan Wood', or 'walk/walking in the wood'. Or if I also kept 'utan' as a middle name, it would read/mean 'Jalan Utan Wood', or 'Walk/Walking in the Forest Wood'. Haha, now that's getting abit 'out there' hey grinning smiley

Anyway, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this, like, what seems the best to you. What 'sounds' the best and/or 'sounds' and 'meaning' etc.

Cheers, Jalan x

Date: May 08, 2012 11:35AM

I think Jalan Wood sounds great and has a great meaning. I don't like the sound of Utan myself.

It's YOU that needs to feel comfortable with it though. Maybe get used to signing it and saying it outloud to yourself - see how it feels after a few weeks - don't rush ( I know you've been considering a change for a while - lol)

A friend of mine changed her name to Sunshine and people got used to that and began to slowly call her that. Then she decided that it was too difficult to be sunny all the time and she felt uncomfortable with it like it wasn't truly her. So she then changed her name to Moonshine which she really likes - however - that did people's heads in and very few people call her Moonshine, a few do and some call her Sunshine and some call her by her old name - so - I think the story is decide and then stick to it because it's hard for other people to keep up smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 08, 2012 12:30PM

I like Jalan Wood; it would fly in Australia, I think winking smiley

But, as flipperjan cautions, be sure before you commit.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: May 08, 2012 02:24PM

I will change my name to SomeBody

Date: May 09, 2012 11:37PM

Thank you...you beautiful people, so much wisdom in one place, and I see such wisdom in your words regarding 'making sure' before I action anything.

Actually, when Tam said, 'I think it would fly in Australia', made me think of where I would live and work in the future. My name mustn't be too 'out there', or I could have major problems. For example if I was sent to work (mental health social work) in some red neck hic township etc.

I've used 'Stewart' before, when I was trying to avoid 'national service' (conscription), so I like that name, but don't remember why I chose it. Also, maybe Jalan is too out there as well. But, I do like 'Jay', so how does Jay Stewart sound?

Previously, some suggested to change to a name for the meaning it holds, well, as illustrated above by Flipperjan, that sort of name might not suit 24/7; however, it would by a constant reminder to be positive. Hmmm....'Moonshine', she should be glad there's no 'prohibition' on 'alcohol' any more. LOL hahaha grinning smiley

Date: May 10, 2012 07:25AM

I don't think it matters if your name sounds 'out there' - people will very quickly get used to anything. In this day and age one is constantly hearing names not heard of before. A lot of it is down to your confidence.

Be strong with your name - I am Philippa - not Pip, not Pippa, not Phil, not Philli and I correct anyone that starts off by abrieviating my name - they only do it once and they don't mind being told smiling smiley

Choose the name for you, that suits you - for what it's worth i think Jalan Wood is a great sounding name - but it's YOU that's got to live with it.

Date: May 11, 2012 03:54AM

Thx Philippa, and of course you're right on the money about the confidence thing. I agree, people do get used to anything. I have found lately that Anthony's want to be called Anthony and not Tony etc.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 11, 2012 04:17AM

I also like the sound of Jalan. And it looks/sounds good with Wood as a surname.

Utan seems more unusual, but I like it too and if it is a middle name, most people won't know it, hear it or see it written, so what does it matter how out there it is?

As another thing to be sure of... be prepared that having an unusual name will mean you'll have to spell it and pronounce it for people a lot. I had a name that was difficult for people to spell or pronounce for much of my life, but I guess that was mostly because as a student I was always having to get teachers to say it correctly.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 11, 2012 05:09AM

I like Jalan Wood smiling smiley i bit of new a bit of old smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 12, 2012 12:07AM

Thx guys, and Trive, I too have had that problem all my life, since my first name begins with either a 'G' or a 'J', and I'm always asked which one. So, I guess it's the pronunciation that I'll have to explain with the new name of Jalan. I like the idea of adding utan as a middle name, might do that.

Many of you like my current 'Wood' to remain my surname, but I'd really like to change that too. That's why I'm thinking of 'Stewart' as the surname. It's either a Scottish or Irish name, and I have both, as well as English and German in my heritage. I think Jalan Stewart rolls off the tongue even better than Wood don't you think???

Anyway, I have appreciated your thoughts on the matter, and don't expect you to continue with it. But you have giving me quite a lot to think about, so thx heaps beautiful people smiling smiley x

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 12, 2012 12:30AM

I like Wood for its earthiness. Stewart seems more mainstream (but you may want that to balance the unusualness of Jalan).

Best wishes finding the one that's right for you.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: May 14, 2012 04:59AM

I just thought of something else that's associated with the word 'jalan'. It also means 'street' or 'road' or 'way' or 'track' etc. In Indonesia, every street sign begins with, 'Jalan', meaning 'Street ???'. So 'Bagus Street' would read 'Jalan Bagus'.

So that adds a greater meaning to the name than only 'walk' or 'walking'.

Cheers, jalan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables