Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

question about olives...
Posted by: gems ()
Date: May 15, 2012 06:37AM

hi smiling smiley if im buying olives from a shop (in a jar) or from a deli, i don't think they are raw are they?

Does anyone know what process they go through?

And if I can't find raw ones (and i can't afford them! smiling smiley ) should I just leave them alone?

I am still at my transitioning to raw stage. Eating raw for breakfast and lunch, but cooked veggie dinner. Eating a few things that are not raw, like olives.

But I'm ready to make some more small changes, I have "IBS" stuff, and just want to halp my digestive system be strong again, so trying to make my diet the best i can for healing my body.

How bad/good are non-raw olives for you?

thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question about olives...
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: May 15, 2012 10:31AM

Hi gems,

I read an article on olives many years ago and it said that there are three main methods of curing. The first method is lye curing or curing in potash; lye extracts the glucosides and other water soluble flavors from the fruit. After lye curing, flavor must be added in the form of salt brine or a marinade.

The second method of curing is water or brine curing. Cracking, crushing, or slitting the olives lets the water or brine penetrate the olive flesh and shortens the curing time.

The third method of curing is the dry cure, also called the oil or salt cure. Ripe olives are packed in an equal amount of salt and are left to sweat. This may take 4 to 6 weeks. The olives are then dipped in boiling water, dried, rubbed with olive oil, and stored with or without aromatics.

Peace and Love..........JR

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 15, 2012 10:57AM

Most commercial olives are of the first category John Rose describes, gems; truly raw ones can be found at some raw foods websites or shops, so look around smiling smiley

Posted by: gems ()
Date: May 15, 2012 10:59AM

amazing info smiling smiley thanks smiling smiley i will do some research smiling smiley x

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 15, 2012 03:49PM

its too bad that olive bars aren't raw! because they COULD be..........I am a dreamer for sure. Fast food drive thru's that are totally vegan, with raw dollar menus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables