Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fresh Apples
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 15, 2012 02:22AM

It's always a huge disappointment to pick apples that look pretty, but have hidden bruises or are mealy.

I just talked with an apple grower. I asked about why some apples feel waxy. He said that that's not a coating sprayed on apples (which was a suspicion I had), but that it is a sign that the apple is older and not very fresh.

He also said that some apples are stored in cool storage units that remove the oxygen in the air and replace it with nitrogen. In those conditions the apples stay fresh until they go to market in other seasons (after fall harvest).

My favorite raw vegan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fresh Apples
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 15, 2012 07:29PM

Apples are waxed, even some organic apples are waxed! I hope you are buying organic. You will have to learn to choose well grasshopper. Apples should be HARD, VERY HARD! when you buy them,

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 15, 2012 11:31PM

rzman10001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apples are waxed, even some organic apples are
> waxed! I hope you are buying organic. You will
> have to learn to choose well grasshopper. Apples
> should be HARD, VERY HARD! when you buy them,
> .

Trust me--I have felt up some apples and they seemed hard and yet all icky when I cut them.

Trive, that is interesting. I was wondering why I just bought a bag of apples this late in the season (from Aldi's, no less) and it was the best damn bag of apples I have had in a long time! Hard, juicy...So it's probably the storing method you describe.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 16, 2012 12:51AM

Trive,

I have found that out-of-season apples are not worth the trouble of putting them in the shopping cart. I only buy local ones in season.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 16, 2012 03:55AM

An easy way to test the apples prior to buying, is by holding an apple and pressing my thumb into it. If I feel and hear a 'click', I know the apple is hard. Otherwise my thumb just pushes into the apple easily, and there is no 'click', which tells me the apple is soft.

Still, while this method usually works well, sometimes the apple is tastless. would this happen when produce that is stored in a nitrogen environment, or would it be the quality of the earth the orchard has grown in???

jalan

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 16, 2012 04:32PM

smoothie!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables