Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can't believe that I am doing this!
Posted by: coldmountaingal ()
Date: May 24, 2012 06:45PM

If you would have asked me a month ago if I would ever go raw I would have told you I love Sushi. I started watching documentaries on food and my whole world feel apart. I felt like a kid who's mother sat her down to tell her the guy that she always thought was her father wasn't. I feel really betrayed. It all made so much sense to me. So, here I am starting a new life right before my 40th birthday. I am not even scared. I love fruits and veggies! So, if anyone has some advice I would love to hear it! Can't wait to see where this road takes me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't believe that I am doing this!
Posted by: red dragon ()
Date: May 24, 2012 07:34PM

Hi there coldmountaingal! I'm not speaking as an expert, but as someone who did not originally intend to do a raw food diet, but just evolved from wanting to cut out sugar and processed foods. I've only been doing it for about 5 months, but here is some general advice:

1. Be creative, don't get hung up on the 'right' way to do things. Read up on the internet, but just pick out the bits that suit you.
2. Don't be afraid to experiment
2. Be intuitive and listen to your body
3. Keep it simple
4. Build up a range of ingredients gradually
5. If you like sushi, get some raw organic nori rolls and make your own veggie sushi!
6. Take your time, it's a whole new way of doing things, keeping food, knowing how long certain foods will last, how often to shop, where to shop etc. In time you will be able to be spontaneous with what you've got in the fridge with what needs using up and you'll find that you waste very little.
7. Maybe start by having a big green smoothie most days
8. Get a good blender.
9. Be aware of a range of nutrients you need
10.Enjoy your food and enjoy some exercise!

Some of my 'staple' foods:

Spinach, kale, lettuce, cucumber, celery, avocado, peaches, kiwi, pineapple, apples, bananas, ginger root, lemons, shelled hemp seeds, raw coconut oil, dates, nori rolls, raw coconut nectar (sugar), home-sprouted organic broccoli seeds, radish seeds, chickpeas, lentils, mung beans etc. healthy oils such as olive, hemp, flax seed (all cold-pressed organic). almonds (soaked). I also use pink himalayan salt, coconut aminos, sea vegetable flakes and apple cider vinegar for seasoning.

Also some non-raw foods that I have that I think are ok to keep eating (for me anyway):

Sun-dried raisins (they could be classed as raw, not sure!), wholegrain rye crackers, wholegrain organic rice cakes.

Good luck!

Love,
Helen x

Date: May 24, 2012 08:31PM

Helen,

Thank you! I think the hard part is changing the way I have viewed this life style. But, very excited about taking the steps to have a better life. Thank you!

Date: May 24, 2012 08:53PM

You're welcome! What do you mean about how you have viewed this lifestyle? I think I know what you mean but I don't want to assume!

Date: May 24, 2012 09:21PM

I was being judgemental. No longer judgemental about the raw lifestyle. I understand it. Now it is going be standing up to my family and friends who are going to give me crap about my decision. YIKES!!!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 25, 2012 01:50PM

Hi, coldmountaingal, and welcome! I agree with what red dragon wrote and only add that it may be a good idea to read as many raw foods books/guides as possible to get the full breadth of this lifestyle. Variety is important when first switching over, for nutrition and motivation. Good luck and good health to you!

Date: May 27, 2012 09:14PM

Hi coldmountaingal,

Yes it's hard to get away from the judgemental thing. I still hold back about what I tell people about my diet, or I find that I explain it in different ways depending on what I think will connect with them! But it's great when you meet a really positive person who's supportive of what you're trying to do. So good luck with your family and friends, hope they don't give you too much crap and hope you stay strong!

Love,
Helen x

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables