Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

can you answer me this???
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: May 23, 2012 06:37PM

2 things happen during a fast... one i start to have trouble breathing...
two my legs get so weak and tingly and numb and jumpy and creepy crawly... i know all at the same time it's weird but it is the best way to describe it... I have this some when i'm not fasting but it grows ever worse when i am... anyone have any idea what this could be???

luv laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can you answer me this???
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 23, 2012 06:51PM

Have you have tracked your daily intake (approximately) with something like fitday.com? Do you get an abundance of minerals and nutrients in your diet, and have you been eating lots of minerals for a long time?

I believe something happens during panic attacks where calcium gets burned up very quickly and that is somehow related to feelings of being unable to breathe. The body also uses more minerals in the detoxification process... so I wonder if there is a link there? Also, sometimes needing more selenium and B vitamins may or may not be related to tingly feelings.

The solution to either of these possible scenarios are: eat more yummy food, so it can't hurt to try.

These are just two things that I could think of...

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 23, 2012 07:09PM

No, I don't know what it is, but if I hear anybody say "It's Detox", I'll scream.

What do you mean by 'fast'? A juice fast or a water fast or a dry fast? For how long a period of time do you fast? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? What is your regular diet like: SAD? Vegetarian? Vegan? Are you 100% Raw? For how long?

Do I recall that a while back you told us you tested very low on B-12 or D?

I don't think everyone is healthy enough to be able to fast and that sounds like you. Not enough reserves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 07:14PM by KidRaw.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 23, 2012 09:44PM

The trouble breathing is likely from hypoglycemia and the adrenals trying to compensate for the low blood sugar and lack of food by releasing epinepherine(adrenaline). It is common during fasts which is why they are generally not for everyone and why i am not fond of them.

You have these guru's recommending water fasting for people with adrenal insufficiency which is crazy and its wonder people don't end up seriously hurt or worse. Most end up passing out(i did by being convinced by others it was "detox"winking smiley but most end up giving into food because their blood sugar is low.

As you can tell im not a great fan of water fasting.

[www].

Date: May 23, 2012 10:36PM

KidRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, I don't know what it is, but if I hear anybody
> say "It's Detox", I'll scream.
>
> What do you mean by 'fast'? A juice fast or a
> water fast or a dry fast? For how long a period
> of time do you fast? How tall are you and how much
> do you weigh? What is your regular diet like:
> SAD? Vegetarian? Vegan? Are you 100% Raw? For how
> long?
>
> Do I recall that a while back you told us you
> tested very low on B-12 or D?
>
> I don't think everyone is healthy enough to be
> able to fast and that sounds like you. Not enough
> reserves.

first day juice 2nd and 3rd day water 4th day juice tomorrow food
i am vegan/ mostly raw 70-80%
about 4 years now
was vegetarian before
5'4"
currently weigh 103 but this is a fasting weight generally stay around 112
as a raw foodist...
no i've never been tested for b12 or D
regular diet is lots of raw veg some steamed
ocassional potato occassional rice noodle
ocassional millet, oat or barley flour flat bread
Olive oil nutritional yeast
flax seeds
very ocassional avocado, almonds, cashews
no sweet fruit... seems to have helped with the breathing
and acidicness...

I do have some adrenal trouble so maybe this is it...

I fast once a menstral cycle... which isn't always once a month... sometimes longer...

I also don't think i absorb my nutrients very well per my digestive struggles

thank you
luv laugh and dream

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 24, 2012 05:42PM

luvyuu I will put my two cents in also, it's probably only worth one cent though lol. First off sweet fruit does not make you acidic, it makes you alkaline!!

I will agree with your assesment of it could be the adrenals! and I am sure it is.
Also with the fact that you are not absorbing nutrients well at all!!

It's all about the G.I. Tract, and how that affects the adrenals and all other funtions of the body, do a little bit every day on these three things; mind, body, spirit.

What do we associate the adrenals with? immune system, not to mention just about every other function of the body. When we have low grade infections that reeks havoc on these tiny little organs and other hormone producing organs. Yeast, parasites and bacteria will make the situation worse. It always amazes me that people with yeast issues always want sugar lol. and will deny that they have a issue to continue consuming it lol.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: May 25, 2012 09:56AM

I think water fasts are very beneficial if you do it right, and in order to do it right you need to know exactly what is happening inside your body, which at the very least includes knowing the amount of nutrients your get with your diet overall. Other important thing is knowing your body fat percentage. And of course your personal conditions if you have any, as there are contraindications to fasting as to everything else!

Date: May 25, 2012 10:10AM

I think the main problem with fasting is that many who do try it are those with undiagnosed health problems which often i find include some degree of adrenal gland dysfunction.

Those with poor adrenal gland function obviously tolerate stress very poorly and fasting places an enormous stress on the body. If your guru or natural health practitioner recommends water fasting for adrenal insufficiency i would seriously consider having second thoughts about their credentials.

There are much safer ways to heal the body in the mean time if you are currently undiagnosed and only suspect adrenal gland dysfunction. Fasting in my opinion is not worth the risk unless you have a decent level of health, have no issues with blood sugar regulation and even then i would never recommend it.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 25, 2012 03:22PM

Eat sweet fruit.

Date: May 25, 2012 07:43PM

If I eat sweet fruit i cannot breath and feel like i'm sufficating and I am so acidic it burns on my insides and i get so irritated ...

I have considered parasite and the like but how do you know??? My Acupuncturist says sugar cravings are also a sign of spleen deficiency... and i know it's also a symptom of adrenal fatigue...

I am trying to focus more on mind body and spirit... meditating... listening to my body and what it needs vs what it wants... accepting and calming the mind and emotions... When I am fasting this seems so easy... so much more in touch with the real truth...

the fast for me is my way of dealing with my painful cramps during my period... I noticed once that when i ate something soon after eating that my cramps would grow more intense... and then i would @#$%&... and then they would be less intense... so i tried fasting once and it helped a lot... i used to take 800- 1000 mg of ibuprophen every couple of hours for a few days... but what a distructive way to deal with the pain... so when i went raw and off all meds and such i started the fast with every cycle which is about 40ish days give or take...

but if Adrenals have to do with hormones and the fast is hurting the adrenals... then maybe i am not helping any better then the drugs... but i've had these problems sense my onset of menses... i know my hormones are out of whack...

but this is also almost the only time i don't have as much digestive pain and trouble and what not... it's a terrible contradiction alleviates some pains but MAY be causing more...??? argggggggggghhhhhh...

what can I do to strengthen the adrenals???

I'm still enjoying my time in fasting "outerspace"

luv laugh and dream

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 26, 2012 12:59PM

luvyuu,

First thing is you need to stop stressing! That's the worst thing for the adrenal glands! Get some exercise and fresh air, and lots of sleep. Fasting would be good for the digestive system, and if you suspect parasites, that's an effective way to rid oneself of them--starve them out. But fasting really is not advised if there's a hormone/sugar imbalance. Also wondering if all that ibuprofen mightn't have compromised your liver, somehow.

As an aside, is the practitioner working with you a licensed naturopath, osteopath, homeopath, or what?

Date: May 26, 2012 06:05PM

Luvyuu, What does this mean: "I noticed once that when i ate something soon after eating that my cramps would grow more intense... and then i would @#$%&... and then they would be less intense..."
Are you saying you had a bowel movement?

Keep reading all you can find on this site about stimulating digestine, food combining and ridding the body of pathogens. Boost the immune system, the immune system is everything and yours is in the trash. It's a vicious circle the body becomes weak or is born weak then the pathogens move in and weaken all organs, some more than others depending on who you are. Reguardless of what other health conditions you have, I have found that every one benefits from doing this, and in alot of casses all health conditions get better over time. Make sure you don't have any issues that a doctor needs to know about. I dont like doctors much accept for the dianostic tools they have at their disposal. The best would be a MD that practices Holistic medicine.

Find someone that does Live Blood Analysis and drick lots of wheatgrass juice.

Date: May 27, 2012 02:17AM

rzman... menstral cramps... I am trying to locate a good dr... but i live in Northern Indiana... and am having trouble finding that wants to be more then my drug dealer... and i'm a little broke right now too... but i've found a lead... only no appt for 4 -6 weeks... I hope that means he's good... probably no live blood analysis around here... I did it a few years back in Cali she said my blood was pretty clean except for a few notables... I'm pretty up on the food combining thing... but i'm sure i can always stand to learn more...

how does one rid the body of pathogens...

Tamukha the acupuncturist i see is a licensed practicioner... also does muscular skelatal adjustments...he's also a nutritionist He has been respectful about my diet choices thus far but i know he thinks i should change and not be eating so much raw foods... even suggested meat once at which we both laughed and moved on from the conversation... he's actually not a big meat pusher... infact i've heard him tell people it's not good for you... but for me ... i can't remember his reasoning... but it's not the first time i'v heard it ...

yes i absolutely am certain the ibuprohen caused a lot of liver damage.. how could it not??? add that to excessive drinking, smoking and a few years of drug exploration when i was youger... acupuncturist focuses a lot on my liver...and spleen...

anyone want to suggest a great doctor... i'm willing to move!!!

still fasting... day 7... wasn't gonna carry on this long... but i had a tummy flare up starting tursday night and figured i didn't want to end on a bad not... so the goal is to finish tomorrow but we'll see...

luv laugh and dream

Date: May 27, 2012 03:09AM

One thing which definitely helped with my digestion problems (doctors thought I had gerd but I'm not sure, however I used to get tummy pain every time I ate something, and felt better when i was fasting, so quite similar to yours!) - was controlling the amount of food I ate during one intake of meal, and amount of meals throughout the day.

I figured I was eating way too much, and way too often, and my digestion simply wasn't coping. So I put myself on a twice a day "proper" meal (e.g. veggies/nuts/grains), and twice or sometimes 3 times a day a day fruit. And the physical amount of food during one proper meal must not be more than what you can hold with both of your palms, and even less than that for fruits. I also paid attention to food combining and tried to eat things which were easier on digestion generally.

I think it helped greatly. I no longer have tummy pains after eating (or any other tummy pains). It also made me think of nutrition, since I now eat limited amount of food I try to ensure that with these small meals I get all the necessay elements (not necessarily per day, but per week).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 03:13AM by chat.

Date: May 27, 2012 06:50PM

Ok I'll try again,
Luvyuu, What does this mean: ( @#$%&... ) If you re-read my question, that would help your diagnosis.

"I noticed once that when i ate something soon after eating that my cramps would grow more intense... and then i would @#$%&... and then they would be less intense..."
Are you saying you had a bowel movement?

This to me is an important symtom and if you can't answer questions like this people cannot help you. I only know of one decent doctor in all of Florida, and still, I have more insight into alot of these immune system challenges than he does. I have never had a doctor help me at all, but if you have serious issues that will show up in your blood work then you need to know.

Date: May 27, 2012 07:08PM

luvyuu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2 things happen during a fast... one i start to
> have trouble breathing...
> two my legs get so weak and tingly and numb and
> jumpy and creepy crawly... i know all at the same
> time it's weird but it is the best way to describe
> it... I have this some when i'm not fasting but
> it grows ever worse when i am... anyone have any
> idea what this could be???
>
> luv laugh and dream

Luvyuu
Why don't you call Hippocrates Health Institute and ask to speak with Brian Clements assitant. Ask her if you can get a phone consultation with him as how to proceed with you issues. Make sure to tell him that your food is comming out the same as it goes in!!! and other issues with eating. He can tell you what how to work with your doctor as to what tests you need. Brian Clement is an awsome Hemotologist he reads blood work every day and will see MORE!! than a doctor will.

Date: May 27, 2012 07:19PM

I must have missed the second symptom about the legs going numb and tingly, this again is another symptom of low blood sugar. I would seriously consider giving the fasting a swerve.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 27, 2012 11:55PM

@#$%& rzman... I'm not sure why i even wrote it that way... infact strangely i don't really remember writing it... but ah well...

My fast is over... I ate some lovely cherry tomatos today and just had a cucumber dinner... it was quite lovely... tip toeing lightly into the world of eating ho hum... I feel cleaner with this fast then i have in a while... but even during the fast some of my digestive struggles surfaced which is sort of unusual... the problem with giving the fast the swerve for me is that it does help with my terribly painful menstral cramps... and it gives my belly a break from digesting.

I do know that i have a large cyst on my ovary and actually one on my back... or a fatty tumor is what one doc called it... said not to worry... but it's not supposed to be there... so something is a miss right... my hormones are out of balance... had a test a few years back and my luteinizing hormone was off the charts high... Estrone was depressed and DHEA was borderline low... but like i said this was a while ago so i don't know how much has changed... my red and white blood count was low... but surely that is diff too... at the time my Gallbladder was thick... but that is no longer the case...

maybe i will call hippocrates and see... I had kind of hoped going raw would help... but i'm not sure it has... in some ways yes... but others not so much... so much gas... and it doesn't always want to move... could my cyst be resting on the colon down there and creating a block???

thank you all for your assistance

luv laugh and dream

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 28, 2012 02:52PM

luvyuu,

could my cyst be resting on the colon down there and creating a block???

Well, yes. If there's any way you can do it, please, please have an ultrasound. It's time.

Date: May 29, 2012 07:13PM

luvyuu,
Unfortunately just eating raw alone probably will not help you and won't help alot of people with such severe conditions. If you can't afford to talk to Brian at HHI then PM me and I will try to help. You should at least give them a call and ask how much it would be and report back. You need to be proactive and have a priority list. I find most times I consult people they do not know what should be their priority's. I believe in using the cheapest things possible first in casses where money is an issue. Also try to take hold of this challenge before it gets worse and you can't work. If the doctors are telling you, or told you that there are issues then take that seriously. In my opinion once these things are showing up on the AMA test then it is a big issue. Alot of times their blood work wont tell much and clearly they don't really know how to read blood well.

As Kidraw mentioned in the other post you should probably remove grains from your diet and you should not be eating tomatoes either. They irritate an already inflammed lining. You should not eat any root vegetables either.

Can you get wheatgrass in your area and do you have a juicer?

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:29PM

Hi Luvyuu, I haven't read all the comments, but it sounds like your body's trying to heal itself of something. So when you 'fast', this healing is intensified as more energy is then available for healing and not digestion.

Apoligies if someones mentioned this already. But if not, I think maybe a less severe fast would be more beneficial, such as a juice fast until the pain lessens as your body heals.

Cheers, jalan

Posted by: merry ()
Date: May 30, 2012 04:13AM

when you fast its normal to get hypoglaecemia . However this will usually be for 2-3 days until your body adjusts to the fasting and then will get less. I dont personally think it is a reason not to fast, or that your adrenals necessarly have a problem (having experienced the same) as long as you take a lot of rest - when you start eating again you will go back to normal and feel increased health which will outweigh what you went through. However if its a longer fast do it under supervision of an experienced practitioner.

Date: May 30, 2012 09:37PM

and yet you say not to fast... you just took away a big portion of my diet... I probably won't be able to afford it but i'm looking into it and i will pm you soon rzman... tomato's won't be such a big trouble... but the root veg might... it's my carb... i don't have fruit cause of the acidosis... no i don't have a juicer it broke... i'll look into a cheap one at the very least... and no wheatgrass juice to be found around here...

i will stick to juice fasting during my period... and i won't do extended one... typically i do 2 or 3 days...during the most painful cramps...

i'm desperately trying to not have added salt as i started eating again on Sunday and so it's been 4 days w/o... and i'm tellin ya the craving is killing me...

luv laugh and dream

Date: May 30, 2012 10:55PM

Just be very strong about salt, don't allow yourself even a tiny bit, because otherwise the craving will never stop. But if you are patient it really will stop, forever! I do not have stong willpower at all, but salt was easiest of all to give up, just wait and be determinate, make variety of raw food recepies, they are do tasty on their own without salt, and eventually you will feel free from this addiction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables