Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

RAW wheat germ...Anyone use this?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 13, 2012 06:00PM

It's supposed to be raw and it's high in Vitamin E. Does anyone use it? I bought a refrigerated bag that is packaged in a way that is supposed to keep it fresh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAW wheat germ...Anyone use this?
Date: June 13, 2012 10:36PM

You know what's funny? I posted this once before and got no answers. I find the search engine on here to be not the greatest so I created a new thread just to get out my question.

Maybe the better question is WHY you don't eat raw wheat germ? It's very '70s. I remember even in the '80s someone telling me that I NEEDED to take wheat germ oil and I decided to try it. But it's not "in" that much anymore.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 14, 2012 12:20PM

Hiya; I don't use it--hard to get and goes rancid easily.

Date: June 15, 2012 04:14AM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hiya; I don't use it--hard to get and goes rancid
> easily.

Au contraire, mademoiselle! [www.amazon.com]

Flushed with nitrogen for your fresh-eating pleasure. I get it at a local health store and they store it the fridge like civilized folks! smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 15, 2012 09:22AM

Wheat germs not bad, although i have never cared for the taste.

I prefer rice or oat bran these days and are both effective prebiotics.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 15, 2012 01:07PM

Huh, banana who, the one I'd get at the hfs wasn't refrigerated, but this was ages ago.

I had a mom who shopped at the local hfs and there seemd to be wheat germ in everything we ate some days . . . perhaps I'm misrecollecting, but I do distinctly remember what wheat germ would taste like when it would start to turn--blech!

Date: June 15, 2012 03:02PM

Tam, the place where I recently bought the Fearn wheat germ refrigerates it but they also do so for nuts and flax seeds. I used to work there and was surprised to see Whole Foods store flax seeds on the shelf. Just seemed wrong! But this is just a small local chain and they do things differently.

Wheat germ is a very '70s thing. But I suspect that most people are familiar with the toasted variety, which comes in a jar. This is a package.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 15, 2012 03:15PM

I thought flax seeds were ok to store on shelf as long as they were whole (not cracked or ground)? Shops in UK keep them on shelves, though having said that they keep nuts on the shelf too.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 03:17PM by chat.

Date: June 15, 2012 05:10PM

I think flax seeds are fairly delicate. Probably something to do with levels of saturated fats, although I am sure macadamia nuts get rancid pretty quick also. Anything stored with the least amount of heat will obviously be better for freshness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables