Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The natural reason for "enzyme inhibitor" in nuts?
Posted by: clank72 ()
Date: June 11, 2012 11:47PM

We soak most of our nuts and lately I found out that Brazil nuts or hazelnuts do NOT have the enzyme inhibitor.

But for those nuts that do, what is the natural reason for this? As you would think nuts need help with digestion more then anything why would they have inhibitors?

Off the bat, the reason I think is so they digest more slowly to satisfy appetite longer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The natural reason for "enzyme inhibitor" in nuts?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2012 12:04AM

If enzyme inhibitors do indeed inhibit digestion then the plant is probably hoping you don't digest the nut at all so it can still grow when it comes out the other end.

However, I stopped soaking my raw nuts (which is 90% of my diet by weight) because I noticed they were easier to digest unsoaked (with the inhibitors)...and if I find the enzyme inhibitors are hindering my absorption of vitamins and minerals then I'll just eat more greens to compensate. I don't see why food needs to be processed all the time (soaking, fermenting, cooking, etc, etc)...as long as you're getting plenty of greens and plenty of calories I bet you can just eat most raw foods (ie not complex carbs) without any preparation and just get on with your life.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2012 12:10AM by ExperimentsWithTruth.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2012 12:13AM

Enzyme inhibitor in nuts and seeds is removed with adequate water, this is the indicator that the potential plants needs as it shows there is enough water around to sustain a sprout. Without enough water, the plant can't grow. That's the reason, it's very simple but it's true.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 12, 2012 04:52AM

Some primates hoard nuts and eat them in times of food shortage.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 13, 2012 01:20PM

I'm not familiar with the enzyme inhibitor in nuts. I know phytates are in nuts to help keep them resilient during drought but are released when soaked. I soak my nuts and seeds to improve digestability and nutrient absorption and then either dry them for trail mix or make nut milks with.

I personally just prefer the taste of soaked/dehydrated walnuts, almonds and pistachios.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 15, 2012 02:28AM

its not different than a host of other plants
that have a myriad of defenses ( their chemical arsenal)
to prevent being overused

they have resins
pheromone like exudances (to alert other plants of pathogenic attacks)

chemicals that protect while harming the pathogen ( including humans LOLsmiling smiley

it has its own pharmacoepia that hinders humans to protect itself
and conversely to help humans while they are "hindered" via consumption

they are a wild and motley crew
more complex and fantastique than we could ever have imagined

they are all not necessarily your friends
people see diet as good or bad

plants see you as simply "enemy"

unless you also propagate them

of course i don't know if they have a brain

but they sure as heck have enough intelligence packed in one leaf
than most of all of humanity combined, or so it seems

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 16, 2012 01:48PM

in the wild, nuts fall off the tree. they won't sprout until they have dried first, THEN they get wet enough, which deactivates the enzyme inhibitors, then they grow. the function was not one for humans health. yes we can eat them both ways, but one way makes our body produce more enzymes, which in turn actually drains us a bit.....and enzymes are a direct indicator of how long an organism will live......as in it is wise for us to NOT make our body produce too many as this is one of the draining factors of cooked food.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: June 16, 2012 07:39PM

clank72
Brazil and hazel nuts do! have enzyme inhibitors in them, and they are there to prevent the nut from decaying and or sprouting until the time is right. Enzyme inhibitors are not only preventing digestine but are toxic to the blood. Luckily most the inhibitors stay in the digestive tract and just prevent and or slow the breakdown of protiens and such.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 16, 2012 08:31PM

scary world we live in LOLsmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables