Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I'm a coconut addict...
Posted by: mira ()
Date: April 21, 2008 10:58PM

i think im eating way too much...Since im raw, i take 3 tablespoons of oil each morning, and then when i come back from school, i usually eat a young coconut or shredded dry flakes... I'm totally obsessed with coconut, if i skip a day without eating some, or without my oil, i feel like i NEED it...
It helped me alot with cravings at first, i dont feel like eating SAD desserts anymore, as long as i can have my coconut...

Is it dangerous? I know that its way too much fat, but im not really putting on some weight...

Is this a phase? I tought i didnt need the oil as much as before, but yesterday i skipped a day and i just felt like something was wrong...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm a coconut addict...
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 21, 2008 11:12PM

Welcome to the club.

My personal advice (there are threads about this that go on for pages!) is to stop the oil, and eat lots of young coconuts. They have twice as much water and 1/10th the fat of a mature coconut. Of course, indulge in mature cocos too, if you please. The oil is just not so great because it's missing a lot of the other goodness of the coconut that has been discarded. Coconuts are awesome for you! A lot of people starting raw tend to be... cocophiles? :O

I was eating two young cocos every day for a long while. Only recently I don't need to have one EVERY single day... and that's four months of raw so far. =D

Date: April 22, 2008 12:16AM

hahah!! oh ok well i'm glad that im not the only one!
cocophiles! thats so cute!
I dont know whats the magical thing about it, but its soooo satisfying.....uhhhhhhh.... i think im gonna open one, LIVE!!!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 22, 2008 12:53AM

Gosh. None of the stores near me reliably have young coconuts in stock. Some weeks I manage to snag two, and just as often there are none to be had anywhere. On the other hand, you should see how I've been eating avocados the last few weeks!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 22, 2008 02:55AM

I hear you Mira. As stated above, just brainstorm and try to find healthier, non-processed fruits and vegetables. If you like coconut oil....then try fresh coconut....or young coconut. If you crave fats...then avocado would be healthier for you....or even soaked nuts. Remember: fresh, unprocessed plant foods are most vital (in my opinion).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: April 22, 2008 06:00AM

Have you tried a coconut smoothie yet? smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 22, 2008 02:39PM

I used to wonder how they stayed alive on Gilligans Island with just coconuts and bananas.
Till I read how nutritious they both are!
Brian

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 22, 2008 02:56PM

I was completely in love with young coconuts when I was transitioning and then my first months 100% raw. I was physically filled with excitement every time I'd pick up my new case of coconuts--I actually felt giddy like a child! I consumed them every day, but I didn't have the oil every day.

My cholesterol went from extremely unhealthy to healthy within one month on the coconuts! I was totally in love with them.

Now, almost two years later, I still love them but the affair is over. I'll have a young coconut about once a month, or less. The passion just isn't there anymore. :-P

Enjoy it while it lasts! I agree about relying on the whole coconut, rather than the oil so much.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 23, 2008 12:05PM

..an article from a taveler to Kerala, India, "the land of coconuts"..
[www.sfgate.com]

Date: April 24, 2008 09:23PM

rawgosia- i never tried it in a smoothie...I just like them to much to mix them with something else!!

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 24, 2008 10:05PM

loeve,

I've been to Kerala and loved it so much that it's now my daughter's name. ;-)

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 25, 2008 12:28AM

GypsyArdor,

I had a super nice Indian roommate once..and remember the warmth of the people on a subsequent trip to Old Delhi, India.

A search for scientific studies led me back to university research in Kerala, a place I had read about in literature and was glad to be revisiting.

..a beautiful name :-)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 25, 2008 03:36AM

The young coconuts here are $3.00 each, and honestly I can't do it. I want to so baddly, but I can not pay that much for a darn coconut. It's so sad- Im like WITW?? Is there a coconut shortage now also? LOL- I would love to have one everyday, you can make awesome things with them as well. Im so depressed b/c of this. I actually dreamed that I bought one last night as a matter of fact, and that I was so excited, but when I cut it open, it was rotted inside- guess I can't even have one in my dreams - ha. See, I have 5 children, and the LOVE them also, so if I buy one for myself I have to buy for them as well, and I just couldn't be so mean as to not, so as of now, I can't but them. I am so happy that you are enjoying them !!!!!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 25, 2008 03:45AM

Pucca -- The case price at the Asian store that I buy them at is cheaper then the one by one price, also the Asian mkt is a lot better price then the store down the street. Possibly you could blend the fresh young coconut juice and pulp together and all have a taste of the smoothie.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 25, 2008 03:20PM

I was *shocked* to discover Whole Foods selling them at $1.50/each. O.O I figured, since the prince was never posted, they had to be between $5-10/each, haha. That's the same price as the Asian markets around here!

Date: April 28, 2008 01:49AM

1.50$ is a good price... At my asian market, they are 1.99$ each or 3 for 5$...

Date: April 29, 2008 01:08AM

Mira, coconut smoothie is made from coconut only, so no mixing with anything else hooray! Just coconut water and meat blended in a blender, yum yum yum! smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2008 01:09AM by rawgosia.

Date: May 01, 2008 03:29AM

oh!! well i dont have a blender, but i guess i could just do it in the food processor...Thhat will be tomorrow's snack!!

Posted by: wallace ()
Date: July 06, 2012 08:11PM

I Have joined this club despite what DOUG GRAHAM says!!!!

Posted by: rab ()
Date: July 07, 2012 02:45AM

This forum is an endless source of inspiration. The problem is - I always learn something new here, and then I have to do it...and it makes me feel like "why haven't I already been eating coconuts"? I bought one or two here and there...never knowing that they were a powerhouse. I don't even know how to eat them. I have seen them (they looked young but I can't tell really) in the local market. So, tomorrow, because of this topic here, I will go and get some coconuts. And learn how to eat them.
Last addiction I had was dates. I still have a problem when I buy them, so I avoid buying them. I assume this addiction will be healthier. It also has to fit into my budget, meaning $1.50 is much better than $3.0.

p.s. I will make smoothies, I decided.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: July 07, 2012 09:46PM

Then I must be a superman smiling smiley - I often eat too many dates (just can't stop, as long as they are there, I am eating them...more than two pounds at times).

Date: July 08, 2012 11:01AM

Oh my, is it 4 years already. Time flies!
smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables