Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hi everyone.
Posted by: tijanaras ()
Date: July 19, 2012 02:28PM

Hello everyone, my name is Tijana,

I am new here, and this is the first time that I have registered.

I just moved here from California, and the weather in Chicago has been unbelievable. I am a raw food enthusiast and even though I tried to make my boyfriend go my way, he was too set in his ways. He is 26 years older than me, and we never seemed to agree on anything. I started this diet on my quest to have a baby, but instead it separated us, I guess he was "not ready" to start a family. I feel like I was the older one in the relationship.

I just had a question, in California you can get access to good organic food anywhere that you can turn, but here I find it hard to find any farmers markets or organic sections in most stores.

Where does everyone get most of your daily food supplies? I have some nuts and dry foods that I can order online, but the fresh is hard to find.

I hope that I will get to know all of you soon and share stories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hi everyone.
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 19, 2012 06:12PM

Hi, Tijanaras smiling smiley

I live outside Chicago so maybe I can help. What neighborhood did you move into? Chicago is huge. You should easily find organic!

This time of year there are farmers markets around the city. Google Chicago Farmers Markets and find one near your 'hood. They have organic produce.

Do you eat 100% organic? One of the greatest aspects of Chicago are the ethnic produce markets but they don't usually have organic, that is true. Of course, Whole Foods has organic produce, as does Stanley's (North Ave. and Ashland).

If you don't wish to broadcast your general vincinity, shoot me a PM and I can give you some suggestions. Good luck. smiling smiley

Date: July 19, 2012 08:52PM

Thank you @banana who.....I live in the Gold Coast, The only thing I have close by is Jewel.

I guess I have to venture out of the city one of these days. I will eventually find everything.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Date: July 20, 2012 12:16AM

Yeah, the Gold Coast is Downtown...I figured you lived somewhere around there. Try Stanley's. You can bike there from your area. There is a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in the Gold Coast. The Lincoln Park farmers market (I think it's called Green City?) is extensive.

Posted by: jimtoo ()
Date: July 20, 2012 11:13AM

Welcome to Chicago. I used to live in the Gold Coast, but am now in Edgewater. I preferred the Gold Coast, partly because I used to live a short bicycle ride from the Green City Market, held every Wednesday and Saturday. It's the best farmer's market for organic that I have found. I still drive to it sometimes. I also still occasionaly go to the Whole Foods in the Gold Coast on Huron, or the even better one in Lincoln Park on North Kingsbury. Stanley's isn't far off either, as B. Who suggested.

Also, see you at Karyn's Raw Restaurant at 1901 N Halsted. I'm currently doing her 30 day detox...I'll be there for lunch...smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 20, 2012 07:15PM

I don't live in Chicago, but welcome to the boards, Tijana!

Date: July 20, 2012 09:20PM

Jimtoo, you have a lot on the North Side, though! Ever been to that produce market in Ravenswood on Lawrence? Also, there is Edgewater Produce! I realize that the question was regarding ORGANIC, but just in general, it's nice to have such choices. You gave me my travel plans for tomorrow: Green City and a bike ride north on the Lakefront pathsmiling smiley

(By the way, there's some SE Asian store close to Lawrence and Broadway that has young coconuts for only $1.49 each!)

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 20, 2012 09:33PM

don't know much about chicago
except what people have told me
one thing i have wondered however is this:

WHY...... oh WHYYYYY. would anyone live in weather that is like 40 below during the winter? i even heard it gets to be 60 below... it hurts me and makes me shudder just to HEAR that LOLsmiling smiley

Date: July 20, 2012 10:16PM

LaV, it's not just that, LOL--we also get very hot and humid in the summer. This year has been a doozy, in particular. Four 100+ degree days and many in the 90s...

For the OP, what did you mean by the weather being "unbelievable?" Good or bad? I think it must be the latter...Especially if you came from Northern CA it would be quite a shock to the system.

Tip: usually the most extreme months are January and July. Notice I said USUALLY. There's a saying in Chicago: if you don't like the weather, wait ten minuteswinking smiley

Posted by: jimtoo ()
Date: July 21, 2012 12:47PM

Hey Banana Who, we have the same plans, maybe we'll cross paths today...smiling smiley

I lived in the gold coast area for about 8 years, then foolishly moved away from Chicago when I'd become self-employed and believed the cost of living would be less back in my old stomping grounds of Ann Arbor. I had to move away to realize how much I missed Chicago. Been back for about 8 months now and am still getting to know the Edgewater area. Now I live right on the Lake MI shoreline, so when I look out my window, all I see is water for as far as I can see, and it costs less than the cave-like dwelling I stagnated in in Ann Arbor. In this way I get my nature fix while at home, and my city cultural fix when I walk out the door on the other side of the building. Thanks for the local tips.

La_V, someone's been telling you tall tales. The only time I've experienced 40 below - actually 50 below - was during a visit to Alaska. Maybe 10 below in Chicago, but not very often. The winters here, in my opinion, are relatively mild, but I'm originally from northern MI, so this seems like the south to me. Also, I was born a polar bear and always loved winter, until I hit 40. Then I became human and thawed out. Now I prefer the warmth and often escape to the south, usually to New Orleans, for at least a couple of weeks during the worst of winter. Didn't need to last year, however, when winter took a vacation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2012 12:49PM by jimtoo.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: July 21, 2012 01:04PM

Hi tijanaras, I hope you find what you're looking for here. I hope you stay, as we all benefit from each other's knowledge and experience.

Cheers, jalan

Date: July 21, 2012 06:43PM

Thank you everyone. I feel honored by all of your advice and how you have welcomed me.

I do value everyone's opinion and will be here all the time.

Thanks again.

Date: July 21, 2012 06:50PM

tijanaras Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you everyone. I feel honored by all of your
> advice and how you have welcomed me.
>
> I do value everyone's opinion and will be here all
> the time.
>
> Thanks again.

LOL- I am posting from the Gold Coast right now! May go to Oak Street beach--we'll see. For those who don't know, it's a very schmancy area...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables